8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 4 ship Fed List for OP 4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Spurrier
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been posting and asking alot about 2 ship Fed builds, but how does everyone feel about this Fed 6 ship build? Its pretty self explnatory.....

Tos Enterprise
Sisko

USS Reliant
4 dice torps

USS Miranda
4 dice torps

USS Excelsior
4 dice torps

Total 99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
That looks interesting. The Miranda's low durability is always an issue. I would say play test it and let us know. With Feds a lot of the effectiveness depends on how well you navigate the ships and take advantage of the firing arcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Captain_Arrr wrote:
I have been posting and asking alot about 2 ship Fed builds, but how does everyone feel about this Fed 6 ship build? Its pretty self explanatory.....
Tos Enterprise
Sisko
USS Reliant
4 dice torps
USS Miranda
4 dice torps
USS Excelsior
4 dice torps
Total 99

It'd be really cool to see it work, as I like the idea of generic builds. I just don't think you'll have enough firepower.

First off, you've got a six captain and three generics, so you'll more than likely be moving most of your ships first. You're also going to be shooting last with most of your ships, most of the time.

Secondly, you're relying on torpedoes for your punch, meaning having to target lock. Against a cloaked fleet that's going to be a little harder to do.

My normal list is a two ship Fed pure build, but to change things up I played using a four ship Klingon force with four generic captains a couple of days ago. I think I'd take that list over the list shown above, because of the superior attack dice and the cloaking capability.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I swept a very similar list off the table during OP3 without losing a single ship (they went with Donatra on the central ship instead of Sisko, to come in at 100 pts, and boost the attack of the torpedoes).

Against any common 2-ship build, you'll lose the Mirandas before they can fire. Then, it comes down to what the TOS Enterprise and Excelsior, with few upgrades and low skilled captains, can do against a beefy 2-ship list.

Which won't be much.

I have seen swarms work, but only really Klingon swarms. As the name of the game is action economy, the Federation needing to use secondary weapons to get their attacks up to reasonable numbers* (requiring target locks) really just makes their swarms suffer badly.

* FWIW, I was idly kicking around the idea of a Federation generic 4-ship-swarm using two Galaxy-class and two Nebula-class ships. All attack at '4', using just their primary weapons alone (which boosts to '5' at range 1, which torpedoes won't)...and they have enough hull and shields they'll almost certainly survive the first volley. Unless, of course, the enemy concentrates all fire on one ship to take it out first...but then you'll return the favor to them. MIGHT work. I'm skeptical, but...that, if you wanted to run a Federation swarm, that would be the only option I really see as realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your list is going to have problems against a 2-ship Klingon build packing Advanced Cloaking Systems.

I know, because I did when I ran a 2-ship list against such a build and couldn't use the Photons I was buffing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
Your list is going to have problems against a 2-ship Klingon build packing Advanced Cloaking Systems.

I know, because I did when I ran a 2-ship list against such a build and couldn't use the Photons I was buffing at all.

If you want to run 4 ships, the Federation is the last faction you want to be playing. You CAN do it, but you must rely on torpedoes for damage and its real easy to be down 1-2 ships before you have a chance to do much of anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Spurrier
msg tools
mbmbmb
I tested this fleet with my wife. First game I beat her because she dividedher fleet and I still lost 2 ships. The other game she caught me offguard and picked my ships off one by one and she lost no ships. I set her up with a Klingon build.

I think this fleet is a bust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
Norsehound wrote:

If you want to run 4 ships, the Federation is the last faction you want to be playing. You CAN do it, but you must rely on torpedoes for damage and its real easy to be down 1-2 ships before you have a chance to do much of anything.

I ran a four ship Fed list that Featured Tinyprise, Reliant, and Two Mirandas for OP1. The key was Pike and a lot of cheap crew. It only won once in three games, but was a fun time!

Another interesting list is Reliant and Two Mirandas featuring Picard, Scott, and Spock on the Reliant. Terell and Sulu on a Miranda fly support. Sisko flew the third. All three ships are armed with 4-dice Photons. A rather brittle list that I couldn't swing, but I think in the hands of a daring and experienced player could give some folks headaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.