Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
Quick question that came up on my game last night

Had a Y-Wing with the Ion Cannon Turret hit several of my ship last night and the question came up.

Does the Hit from the ion cannon cause a straight damage or does the defending ship take off a shield if able ( Tie Advance ) ?

The card says that the defending ship take an ion token , and 1 damage.

So thats what caused confusion

And if it takes a shield off , does the defending ship still take the ion token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Defender loses a shield and takes an ion token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pbpancho wrote:
Defender loses a shield and takes an ion token.

What he said.

For further detail, it does not say "Deal a damage card," it says "suffer one damage."

The rulebook tells us that when we suffer damage, we lose a shield token if we have any, or get cards if we don't. Nothing on either ion weapon suggests that we should be ignoring that part of the book.

It also says "And receives an Ion Token." This is not contingent on actually damaging the ship, only on hitting it. Nothing in the Ion Token rules says anything about it being stopped by shields.

Which might be more detail than you need - but then again, your opponent may well not accept "because some guy on the internet said so" as a valid reason. This way you can point out all the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the only question I had from when I first used the Y-Wings ION turret. The answers above are correct, but I was always of the impression that within the Starwars universe ION cannon's fully disabled shields, not just weakened them. In essence I thought they worked like a limited time EMP. The fact the ION token sort of has this effect just further made me lean in that direction.

Anyway, they work within the framework of the game as they are, so I'm not having an issue with the rules, but like you had to stop and think about how exactly they worked, as thematically an argument could be made for shield pass through (Especially since they are limited to one damage point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
That was the only question I had from when I first used the Y-Wings ION turret. The answers above are correct, but I was always of the impression that within the Starwars universe ION cannon's fully disabled shields, not just weakened them. In essence I thought they worked like a limited time EMP. The fact the ION token sort of has this effect just further made me lean in that direction.

Anyway, they work within the framework of the game as they are, so I'm not having an issue with the rules, but like you had to stop and think about how exactly they worked, as thematically an argument could be made for shield pass through (Especially since they are limited to one damage point).

Keep in mind that X-Wing is not designed to mirror every behavior of the fiction it is based on, but is designed to play fast and fun. The ruleset is simplified to keep that kind of one off to a minimum. Of course as we get further Waves we get more one off stuff, but the Ion Turret was in Wave 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
... But I was always of the impression that within the Starwars universe ION cannon's fully disabled shields, not just weakened them. In essence I thought they worked like a limited time EMP.

NOW that would be a fun future upgrade for the large ships or some suped up Ion Cannon upgrade. Would probably have to be really balanced out but it would be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.