Hide
7 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Start of game drawing for House rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Cooper
msg tools
So after rolling dice and seeing who the starting host does that host get to select whichever house they want? The argument is that selecting the house of your choice is too much of an advantage and the house cards should be picked at random. Please settle this confusion! The instructions just say that the host selects first not whether it's random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tl;Dr at the bottom

You know, i've glossed over that part of the rule book, every time i played, including the first Demo game where i learned about spartacus, we've always just dealt out random houses.

hasn't hindered our enjoyment of the game... so I feel like this part of the game is very open to house ruling your house selection. And it's not going to impact the way the game plays in any way shape or form. it just impacts who you play as. and if you get a house that you REALLY don't want, just mention that, it's a game, you're meant to have fun.

Same reason why in Twilight Imperium we eschew the "random race selection" because who wants to sit down for a 6-8 hour game stuck as the yin brotherhood. or who wants to play at a game where the best player at the table is the Yssaril tribes? (if you're not familiar with the game, the Yin are what i'd consider a very weak race, and the Yssaril are banned from our table because they have 4 powerful abilities, and widely considered the most powerful race) so we allow people to pick their race when we play, and I've consistently played the L1Z1X mindnet, and i've had fun every time we play... i haven't won terribly often, but i've definitely had some very memorable moments.

So if you feel that picking houses is too much of an advantage then just deal them out randomly. I personally haven't seen too much of a balance issue in my 17 games of spartacus. I've played Glaber 3 or 4 times, and i think i only drew guards a handful of times... i've at most had 8 guards in one of the games, when i did my push for victory, i ended up getting hammered too hard when i had 5 guards left (it was one scheme, none of the guards worked) and i didn't draw any guards for the remainder of the game. before that game where i drew some guards... i had drawn 2 guards in the past 3 games.

Tl;Dr

Go ahead and make it a random house selection... it doesn't negatively impact the game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen each player start with additional gold then auction for the choice of each house. Typically what happens is the stingy player gets the "worst" remaining choice of all houses but has the largest starting pool of gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, we roll and highest gets to be the first to Randomly draw a house,and then the next highest roll does the same. Works well.

1d6 = (5) = 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 479922. caric
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:37 pm
Mordante Mordante
msg tools
Just shuffle them and deal them out its what we do, I seriously can't consider that people will opt to play a particular house apart from roleplaying purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scorpio Seb
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

Random distribution is the way to go. Although the two new houses have been implemented to nerf Glaber's house skill. Point is this: if Glaber is picked up, make sure either Varinius or Seppius is also in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I usually only do the random houses if people can't agree on a certain distribution.. sometimes people just feel like playing a certain style and that is fine. Even when we random then if 2 players want to switch houses we allow it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.