13 Posts

Small World 2» Forums » General

Subject: Question on the Steam version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Woodland
msg tools
Hello all,

I mostly play Small World as 2 player and we have agreed on leaving out Diplomat and Berserk in our games.

If you play a game vs a random online opponent can you do such thing?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
Not, sadly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Woodland
msg tools
That answer was also the answer to the question if I will buy it or not.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbok wrote:

Thank you.

It doesn't yet, but that doesn't mean the app is a waste of money. There's more to the game than the 2 player experience after all, and diplomacy isn't a guaranteed power every game anyways.

If that still keeps you away there is hope though. DoW was swamped trying to release the game on the various promised platforms for the kickstarter. There are quite a few features that have been requested and DoW said they should be able to start working on improvements in the beginning of the year. So keep an eye on the SW2 app, it may see the changes you and many more of us wanted.

As a personal curiosity, why berserk? I've heard plenty of complaints against Diplomacy in 2 player, but berserk never struck me as being in the same league for 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Woodland
msg tools
Proto Persona wrote:
Harbok wrote:

Thank you.

It doesn't yet, but that doesn't mean the app is a waste of money. There's more to the game than the 2 player experience after all, and diplomacy isn't a guaranteed power every game anyways.

If that still keeps you away there is hope though. DoW was swamped trying to release the game on the various promised platforms for the kickstarter. There are quite a few features that have been requested and DoW said they should be able to start working on improvements in the beginning of the year. So keep an eye on the SW2 app, it may see the changes you and many more of us wanted.

As a personal curiosity, why berserk? I've heard plenty of complaints against Diplomacy in 2 player, but berserk never struck me as being in the same league for 2 player.

The reason of leaving out Berserk isn't the same as Diplomacy, meaning that it can build up situations that can be really advantageous for the player picking it up. We like a bit of randomness in our game, just enough so each game can be different from the other and not having an impact during the course of the game. If someone gets Berserk and roll good a few times, it can be some external aid giving some points out of nowhere, if you understand what I mean. So we prefer leaving it out as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I don't get that at all.
Berserk is by no means one of the powers I would consider in the top 5, and certainly not a game-changer. So what if it allows you to conquer 2 or 3 extra regions on a turn? Lots of powers do that.
Sounds to me like you just dislike the element of "chance" in your games. To each their own, I guess. I just can't imagine not buying an app like this because it comes with 2 powers that you dislike (out of what? a hundred-something?)

Quote:
It can build up situations that can be really advantageous for the player picking it up. We like a bit of randomness in our game...not having an impact during the course of the game.

We should hope that all of the powers in the game can provide a player with "really advantageous" situations in the game. Why would you want a power that doesn't "have an impact during the course of the game"? I can't wrap my head around this mentality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Woodland
msg tools
bandit_boy7 wrote:
Yeah...I don't get that at all.
Berserk is by no means one of the powers I would consider in the top 5, and certainly not a game-changer. So what if it allows you to conquer 2 or 3 extra regions on a turn? Lots of powers do that.
Sounds to me like you just dislike the element of "chance" in your games. To each their own, I guess. I just can't imagine not buying an app like this because it comes with 2 powers that you dislike (out of what? a hundred-something?)

It is just that when I see the race that has the special power '-1 unit while conquering hills', I know how many and which territories I will conquer even before I choose it, apart from the last die roll of course. But when I see berserk I simply don't know. I can get between 0-3 extra territories and I don't like the extra randomness that it provides.

Quote:
It can build up situations that can be really advantageous for the player picking it up.

Using the sentence above I was referring to Diplomacy and not Berserk. My lack of English made this misunderstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbok wrote:
My lack of English made this misunderstanding.

You should add your location (city, country) to your profile. Then other users will know (or at least suspect) that English isn't your first language. Probably people will be more understanding, and will be on the lookout for little issues like this.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Steam version is still worth getting, you could simply house rule that neither player is allowed to choose a race with Diplomat or Berserk if that's how you both like to play.

Personally I play a lot with my brother over Steam and we use those powers normally. Diplomat can be a little overpowered in certain situations but I've seen a bunch of our two player games where the player who took a Diplomat lost the game. Berserk doesn't seem overpowered at all, not compared to other offensive abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OneBagTravel wrote:
I used to think diplomacy in 2 players was unfair. Cuz we played it that the person with the power can attack and not be attacked back. This is wrong. Once the diplomatic character attacks the other player, diplomacy is void.

I believe the online game doesn't account for this. I swear I played a 2 player match and was not able to attack back even when the diplomatic player attacked me.

That depends. Did the diplomat player attack your declined race? Because they only lose diplomat immunity when they attack your active race.

It's been discussed pretty completely why the power is best dropped from 2 player matches. I'm honestly surprised at this point it wasn't made an option at least in SW2 after it's complete absence in the first app. My personal conjecture says that coding the game to exclude a single power in a single game type made the code more complicated than the programmer was willing or able to write.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OneBagTravel wrote:
...the other player was steam rolling me.

Steam rolling, eh? (On this thread?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.