Hide
10 Posts

Argent: The Consortium» Forums » Rules

Subject: student body president question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul B
msg tools
So the rules say that you can't have more then 2 of a single mage type, but it seems possible that a player could be stuck in a situation where they have 2 white mages, 2 mages of another color, and only able to pick a mage of those two types for their last pick. What would happen in that case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if i recall correctly there are 5 mages of each type. and 6 mages in the base game, so lets see worst case scenario 5 player game and you are picking last, for your last mage.

player 1, 2 black, 2 blue, 1 red
player 2, 2 blue, 2 black, 1 red
player 3, 2 red, 1 black, 1 blue, 1 green
player 4, 2 green, 2 purple, 1 red
player 5, 2 purple, 2 green, and ?

available mages
black 0
blue 0
red 0
green 0
purple 1
white 5

you cant choose purple because you already have 2 but you can white. i made the choices in colors intentionally trying to eliminate choices for the last player and they can still make a legal choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the expansion adds another player but also another color so i think we are fine there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Brad is going to include 6 mages of each type, he's still working it out with the printer. Plus we don't even know if we will have plastic minis yet.

But if we end up with only 5 mages of each color I will add a rule that if you have no other legal option in the draft you can draft a 3rd mage of your color. You will not be forced to draft a neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
msg tools
Having the rule that you can get a third mage of a type instead of a neutral mage works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I think Brad is going to include 6 mages of each type, he's still working it out with the printer. Plus we don't even know if we will have plastic minis yet.

But if we end up with only 5 mages of each color I will add a rule that if you have no other legal option in the draft you can draft a 3rd mage of your color. You will not be forced to draft a neutral.

with 5 of each color mage, you still might be forced to take a neutral if everyone takes your starting color. if your the blue player, the other 3 blue mages are snapped up real quickly being able to take a 3rd of your school wouldnt prevent you being forced to take a neutral.

my point was worst case only 1 neutral mage would be out there.

this has brought up a question though. if you are trying to prevent people from being forced to take a neutral mage, unless there is another way to gain neutral mages, you would never need more than 2 (for a starting player who was the SBP) that would leave space for more mages with abilities.

so i guess the question is. is there a way to gain mages during gameplay? particularly the neutral mages? otherwise there really isnt a need for more than 2 because no one would want to take them as they have no powers.

i really hope we can get to plastic minis. as long as it doesnt push back production too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
msg tools
Yeah, you can end up in the situation where you have two of two different colors, and the only mages remaining are of one(or both) of those colors and neutral mages.
Just some corner cases that may or may not pop up. If you just make the rule that you can't pick a third mage of a color unless you have no other option that covers it. Only something that can happen when you are playing with the max number of people. 6 mages of each color would also solve the problem I think, but it may change the dynamic a bit with the mage draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With six of each I think it's still just about possible to get stuck with a neutral mage in the draft. For example:

Purple: 2 Purple, 1 Blue, 1 Black, 1 Green
Blue: 2 Blue, 2 Black, 1 Green
Black: 2 Black, 2 Green, 1 Blue
Green: 2 Green, 2 Blue, 1 Black
Red: 2 Red, 2 Purple

There are no blue, black or green mages left. Red can't draft any more red or purple mages, so is forced to take a neutral mage. Unless you apply the rule that lets red take a third red mage.

Unlikely to ever come up in play, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altropos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This also depends on there being enough action spaces over the course of 5 or 6 rounds to fill each player's allotment of magi. I haven't played it yet so I don't know how many spaces let you add to your cadre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Altropos wrote:
This also depends on there being enough action spaces over the course of 5 or 6 rounds to fill each player's allotment of magi. I haven't played it yet so I don't know how many spaces let you add to your cadre.

I don't think they are very many at all that add to your group, but even if there were, I don't see that as a problem because everyone has equal access to get them, if they run out your too late. during setup you shouldn't be forced to take a white mage.

with the extra color in the expansion and the fact that a 6 player game would be very rare I really don't think it will be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.