Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title suggests, I received this game as a Christmas stocking stuffer. All in all there's really not too much to it, but I guess it would make for a decent filler during game night.

Components:
There's nothing here that you couldn't duplicate with a couple of standard decks of playing cards and 3d6:

(1) As mentioned, the game comes with two standard decks of 52 playing cards plus 2 jokers. (The jokers are not used in the game.) The only difference between these decks and the decks you probably have sitting in a drawer somewhere is that the backs of these cards have the game's logo.

(2) There are three oversized six-sided dice which contain either numbers, letters or symbols which are used to direct your actions each turn.

Object of the Game:
Be the player with the lowest score at the end of the game. Game ends when one player reaches 150 points.

Gameplay:
The cards are dealt evenly to each player. The rules don't specify whether to use one deck or two, but since they provide two decks we've been using both. This gets a little unwieldy if there are only 2 players since each player will be holding 52 cards. However, with only 2 players there is no need to hide your hand since it will be pretty obvious what your opponent is holding just based on what you don't have.

Anyway... gameplay is totally driven by the dice. The player rolls the dice and then the included chart is cross-referenced which instructs that player to discard some of his cards to the discard pile or to an opposing player. Depending on your roll, you may also end up losing your turn or picking up the entire discard pile. (This only happens with the dreaded "3 deer in the headlights roll".) The round ends when one of the players has no cards left in his hand. The remaining players total the value of the cards left in their hands (Ace = 1; Face cards = 10) and jot down that total for the round. Play continues until one person reaches 150 points at which point the game ends and the person with the lowest point total wins.
There are a couple of cute mechanics here but at the end of the day this is really just a dice fest that requires little, if any, thought.

Overall:
Like I said, it's a cute little filler but even in that role it may end up being a bit long and tedious. The uncertainty of the dice rolls can make for very quick rounds or very long ones. There's certainly enough flexibility here for house rules, the most obvious being lowering the total points needed to end the game from 150 to 100 or even 50.
I guess using only 1 deck of cards instead of 2 may also quicken the game but, again, the dice rolls can play havoc with that plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:

Overall:
Like I said, it's a cute little filler but even in that role it may end up being a bit long and tedious.

These are my thoughts too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any decisions to be made at all? I mean besides playing and not playing the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great_Mazinga wrote:
Are there any decisions to be made at all? I mean besides playing and not playing the game?

Nope. The dice dictate all your moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:
Great_Mazinga wrote:

Nope. The dice dictate all your moves.

Not entirely true - sometimes you get to pick which number you give/get. Its a pretty easy decision once you've played a couple turns though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.