7 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Winning the game: No VP variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marc mad
Canada
flag msg tools
I am not a fan of winning with VPs and having to stop the game in the middle of a battle. I prefer playing until one player surrenders or until one player has no unit left.

This is a simple variant to play Battlelore 2nd edition without using VPs, while keeping the game balanced:

---

SETUP:

-Remove the 4 lore cards that gives VP (2 in each deck)
-Remove the command tents

IN GAME:

-The lore step during the Upkeep phase is skipped.
-Instead, any time a player would win a VP, that player can take a lore token or a lore card.

Example: During the VP step, Bob would get 3 VPs, 2 for controlling 2 banner markers of 1 VP each, and 1 from the scenario special VP step. Instead of getting 3 VP, Bob choose to get 2 lore tokens and 1 lore card.

The game ends when one player surrenders or when only one player has units on the battlefield.

---

With this variant, the players get about the same amount of lore during the game, and the scenario specific objectives are still useful (to get lore)! Also, the upkeep phase is shorter to resolve.

Have fun playing Battlelore without VPs !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you enjoy your games. However, I think objectives/VPs add to the quality of the game, and sometimes playing to the bitter end makes a game boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Hope you enjoy your games. However, I think objectives/VPs add to the quality of the game, and sometimes playing to the bitter end makes a game boring.

I am with you. I am discovering that the better that I(and my opponents) get at BL2e, the less that is left on the field anyways.

To me if you are trying to make this game an elimination game...you are missing the beauty of its design. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet played BL2 but have been following all the threads and, from what I have seen so far, the Victory Point system and Deployment cards appear to be a great addition to the Commands and Colors rules.

In the context of BL2, set in a fantasy world, anything goes - FFG created the world and can create the objectives. In some of the other C&C periods, however, it may not really fit as the objective of most battles was to break the opposing army rather than take and hold an objective.

But this method of obtaining victory would have been a perfect fit for Memoir'44. So much so that I am surprised (Assuming it is a rule developed by Richard Borg and not FFG) that it was not used in M'44 rather than the current bloodbath victory conditions.

I have already been considering how the Point Buy system and Victory Conditions could be ported over and I am sure I am not alone.

Cheers
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
caroper wrote:

But this method of obtaining victory would have been a perfect fit for Memoir'44. So much so that I am surprised (Assuming it is a rule developed by Richard Borg and not FFG) that it was not used in M'44 rather than the current bloodbath victory conditions.

There were some scenarios where you gained victory points for taking bridges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
There were some scenarios where you gained victory points for taking bridges.

True, in fact several of the later scenarios and expansins included objective based victory points, but the Core Rules still reward slaughter over taking Objectives. BL2 is the opposite, a few scenarios award points for eliminating units but the main path to victory is holding or taking an objective. It changes your entire outlook on the strategy and tactics needed to win.

But I guess I should move this to the M'44 Forum

Cheers
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having not played the game yet, I can't say for sure, but the proposed variant seems quite streamlined and elegant. I may actually try this after getting a few plays with normal rules. I'm actually a fan of VPs, but this variant seems too ingenious to pass up. And it's not like you have to play to the bitter end, because you just play until one side surrenders, which actually sounds a lot like a real battle, to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.