Lasse Refsgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
Could not find the answer in here.

Say I roll a ten in the same round as i destroy the last ground forces of an opponent's planet containing a PDS, promoting one of my two ground forces to a shock trooper. Will the promotion happen before the PDS is destroyed, enabling him to capture the PDS ?

Answer or link to answer will be appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Units are promoted after removing casualties. The "Invasion Success" on page 18 of the rules don't really specify an exact time, other than stating that the invasion succeeds if all defending GFs are destroyed, and at least one invader remains. Thus, I would say that the promotion can happen immediately and allow for the capture of the docks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you decide, make sure your group discusses it before the game and make it an "official" house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lasse Refsgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
Yeah - the timing was also the issue in our discussion of the rules. We could not all agree, so we ended up rolling a dice as we were 11 hours into a 6 player game and it seemed a waste of time to debate it to the end

I just wanted to ask if there was any official ruling to this situation, or to hear how you guys handle it.

We will definitely be clear on a house rule for our next game and I think it will be easier for us to all agree if the rule is made before the game, and not during the situation where we all have different interests

It is just hard to foresee these things before they arise.

Anyway - thank you guys for the inputs, and if anyone else has an opinion on this, please post it here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Armentia
Spain
flag msg tools
The wording of the rule for shock troops says: "...if at least one Shock Troop unit has survived the battle (along with at least one Ground Force unit, see below), the invading player may capture..."

In order to survive a battle, the troop should have participated in it. So I would say that if the troop didn't battle and survive, the player cannot use it to capture the opponent's units.

In other words, first remove all remaining casualties and at the same time destroy all remaining units as a direct consequence. This would be the end of the combat round. Then promote your forces to troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything in the rules to imply that "surviving" implies that they had to exist as a shock troop in at least one round of combat. The surviving units are those that exist when combat is over.

Thematically, the shock troop units are basically the same "group of people" as the ground force that turned into the shock troop anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
For that matter if we're not looking at the rules and thinking in semantics...

I'd call any GF that captured a Space Dock or PDS a Shock Troop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I sent a question to Corey, so we'll see what he has to say about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the answer from Corey:

MY QUESTION
I couldn't find an answer to this timing issue.

During an invasion combat, let's say the attacker rolls a 10 in a round. The rules say that after removing casualties a GF will convert to a Shock Troop.

However, what if this is the last round of combat? Does the GF turn into a ST in time to capture any enemy PDS/Docks, or does the conversion happen somewhat "simultaneously" to the capturing (and thus doesn't happen).

COREY'S RESPONSE
A unit that becomes a shock troop during the last round of combat CAN capture a PDS/Space dock at the end of that combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Here's the answer from Corey:

COREY'S RESPONSE
A unit that becomes a shock troop during the last round of combat CAN capture a PDS/Space dock at the end of that combat.

Sweet!

Thanks for checking with Corey.
cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.