Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
* After each turn, counterclockwise players between the active player and the next clokwise player take a free action point. So, in a 4 player game, each of them will take up to 5 action points (3 regular + 2 free) completed each round.

For example: the first player's turn ends, but before starting Player 2, Player 4 moves a swimmer and player 3 moves a controlled boat (one sea space). Then begins the second player's turn, that once completed will provide a free action point to the first and fourth players.

NOTE.- A round is completed after the fourth turn and the free actions of the third and second players... *

I think pretty improves gaming experience. While you wait until your next turn some uncontrollable things happened. Now more control and preparation is possible...

Please tell me if you like and it works, because I missed more testing sessions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting simple idea that could work in many other games. Like a distributed turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think that will be useful in other games, as long as they have the cost of action points in their turns...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
* in a 4 player game, each of them will take up to 5 action points (3 regular + 2 free) completed each round.

Table of the total number of action points per player each round, depending on the number of players:

2 players = only 3 (regular)
3 players = 4 (3 + 1)
4 players = 5 (3 + 2)

With the 5-6 expansion

5 players = 6 (3 + 3)
6 players = 7 (3 + 4)

In short, an additional free action point to the actual number of players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that too many people will score. You will take a tense game and allow a lot more to make it in. Take a 4-player game. Normally you have 30 action points for the entire game and the winner scores 15 points or so. You now have 50 action points, which is 166% of the standard rules. I would expect the score of the winner to rise accordingly.

With this change if I was P1 would get my #6 in every game unless P2 rolls a sea serpent (1/3 odds with the red die or ~1/4 with the blue dive dice). Or, as P1, I could load #6 and #5 into a boat and move them 1 space from shore. Then spend 2 actions moving them closer, and then my next turn scoring 11 points. Not very fair for the rest of the group and the second strategy works much better with the red die since the sea serpent only moves 1 space. (note that all of these strategies are harder for P2-Px because they will either get boats stolen or sunk if they are on the beach, but they may be possible). Basically, this change amplifies the first mover advantage that is already in this game.

Or, even better. P1 takes his turn as normal, but spends his action after P2 screwing P3 (moving his boat away from shore), and spends his action after P3 screwing P4 (doing the same and P2 joins in the fun). Now it really sucks to be P4 as he has to spend his first actions either jumping in water or retrieving boats.

Obviously, you can try whatever you want, just realize that you aren't really reducing what can happen to you between turns. You are just giving yourself more actions to either score more meeples or screw your neighbors. You could just give yourself 4 actions on your turn, which would make scoring easier as you can stay further away from danger yet still in scoring distance. To reduce "uncontrollable" things, you are better off using deception (diving your 6/5's into the water and 1's on the boats for example), or grouping your meeples with opposing players (they aren't likely to attack themselves).

I've played this game almost every week for a year now at work. There are 2 people who typically win and a few that never win (and a few in between). I'm one of those two that typically wins and EVERYONE gangs up on me. If things were truly uncontrollable I wouldn't stand a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you did not understand or forgot an important detail of my variant...

After the turn of the first player, the fourth and third players have their first free action point. So, they could move one of their explorers to an empty boat, preventing another player's move away in the next turn...

The first player could not even harm the turn of the second player, because he will be playing before the free action point of the first player...

Later in the game with this variant, players must decide whether to use their free actions points defensively or offensively. Pretty interesting thing...

I think it's worth giving a try. With my group we tested it once and it worked pretty well. Maybe some adjustment will be necessary, but after those corresponding tests.

Please continue sharing. All experience and comment help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.