Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg had bought TTR: Volume 4- Nederland, and wax anxious to try it out. Player order was Greg, Ken, Craig and myself. My starting tickets included Middleberg-Rosemund for 23 pts, and Middleberg to a city further north, I think it was Utrcecht for 17 pts. So I kept those two, and anotehr small northern route running along the west coast. My other two tickets didn't really mesh, one was up north and the other was in the northeast quadrant, so I tossed those two. I think in this game, you need tickets with synergy - Greg joked that all he did was look at the direction of the tickets. I believe he started with 3 tickets that ran in a diagonal pattern from Amsterdam to Liege. So those were pretty easy to complete, without costing much coin, and Greg was the first one to draw tickets.

I was going through Rotterdam to Breda, which cost 4 coin, so perhaps I didn't think carefully about my route planning in relation to cost. I ended the game tied for last in coins and hence was 30 pts behind Greg, who seemed to be able to pick cheap costing routes. Craig was able to make a good play, predicting where I was going to build, and built the future section, to earn some coin from me.

Greg had a bunch of tickets, I think worth 22/24/26 pts that ran from Amsterdam to Liege, and he even lost a 26 pt ticket and still won comfortably by 16 pts over Ken. Craig shut down the game early depsite not having lots of tickets since he thought it might hurt Greg, but Greg had too many tickets for us catch him.

Greg is red, Ken is blue, Craig is green, and I am yellow.

Scores:
Greg 198 (98 tickets, 45 trains, 55 (12 coins),
Ken 182 (112 tickets, 49 train, 20 (6 coins), 1 going second),
Craig 168 (71 tickets, 60 trains, 35 (9 coin), 2 going third),
Norbert 154 (80 tickets, 51 trains, 20 (6 coins), 3 going last).

Game 2: Player order was Ken, Craig, Norbert and Greg. This time I got a 12 and 14 pt route that overlapped from Rotterdam to Tournhoull and I had a 17 pt route that used that sort of meshed with that section of track. So I thought to myself this was my game to lose. And lose I did all right! I was done my routes quickly, and drew tickets to slowly expand my network. Everyone seemed to be drawing trains, while I was able to play them, so I was in a bit better shape than last game, since Craig had to pay me 4 coin later in the game on the Rotterdam-Breda track.

Towards the end of the game, I made the aggresive decision to keep Sneek-Utrect (16) and Waddeneildn-s'Granda (20) (Yes, this town name has a " s' " in the middle of it, not sure if I spelled Granda corectly). All I had to do was connect from Sneek to Den Helder (for a cost of 3, which would have still left me in second place for coins). But Ken ended the game and I was missing 1 red card to finish that section of track. I was hoping, and thinking that Ken couldn't close the game out that quickly. That cost me 36 pts (if I had made those routes, the 72 pts I would have earned might have given me the win). All I could taste was the disappointment was finishing last again.

Scores:
Ken 215 (150 tickets, 65 train, 3 coins for 0),
Greg 208 (91 tickets, 59 trains, 55 (12 coin), 3 going last)
Craig 204 (129 tickets, 54 trains, 20 (5 coin), 1 going second),
Norbert 156 (81 tickets, 38 trains, 35 (8 coin), 2 going third),

Greg is red, Ken is blue, Craig is green and I am yellow.

Interestingly, we were all afraid we might have had to take a loan, but it didn't happen. It seemed we shared enough tracks to avoid that. This was fun. I'm looking forward to improving my play and trying to be competitive next time. I think I have to look carefully at which routes I use, potentially avoiding higher cost routes if I can plan around that, and predicting which routes my opponents might use, and which I might need, and trying to build there first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(Yes, this town name has a " s' " in the middle of it, not sure if I spelled Granda corectly)

No you didn't

you made a few spelling mistakes but with the terrible font that TtR uses, as well as our easy placenames you are forgiven

a quick list:
Middleberg = Middelburg
Utrcecht = Utrecht (one C to many)
Tournhoull = Turnhout
Waddeneildn = Waddeneilanden
s'Granda = 's Gravenhage (or just Den Haag to us and The Hague to most foreign people)

I was a bit dissapointed in this edition, the bonus for most cash is way to high IMO, you can complete way more (high scoring) tickets but still end up last because of the 55 points bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
Quote:
(Yes, this town name has a " s' " in the middle of it, not sure if I spelled Granda corectly)

No you didn't

you made a few spelling mistakes but with the terrible font that TtR uses, as well as our easy placenames you are forgiven

a quick list:
Middleberg = Middelburg
Utrcecht = Utrecht (one C to many)
Tournhoull = Turnhout
Waddeneildn = Waddeneilanden
s'Granda = 's Gravenhage (or just Den Haag to us and The Hague to most foreign people)

I was a bit dissapointed in this edition, the bonus for most cash is way to high IMO, you can complete way more (high scoring) tickets but still end up last because of the 55 points bonus.

Thanks for the corrections Jorik. I was sitting near the top of the map, and had to frequently move to the bottom so I could figure out the names. I wasn't sure if it was the lighting, or my eyesight was getting worse, but thankfully it wasn't that. Now I know the real name for "The Hague".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:

[...] Now I know the real name for "The Hague".

But try to pronounce it... Phew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:

Okay, I'll bite. We pronounce it 'Hag', not 'Hog'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:

Okay, I'll bite. We pronounce it 'Hag', not 'Hog'.

I was more thinking of pronouncing the so called "real" name 's-Gravenhage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.