Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since some people were concerned how the game works with a single investigator, I decided to share my first experience with this format.

I chose Silas due to his extra mobility and decided on Shub-Niggurath as the Ancient one. In my opinion Shubby is the weakest ancient one and I have still to record a loss against him (even in some previous games with removed easy Mythos cards). The game was over in 32 minutes, not including setup and I won with 3 mysteries at mythos count of 7. Quite fast, but I read all flavor text and didn't rush. it's just that I've been playing every other day recently and I've become very proficient, although this was my first solo game. There were 8 monsters and 4 gates on the board at the end.

I had some good luck (random bless from the mythos deck just before the final round), some extremely weird bad luck (not rolling a single success with 14 combat dice against the Spinner of Webs - attack with 6, 2 re-rolls with fishing net and hired muscle, and a full reroll of all 6 with the Axe). Amazingly, I managed to find time to solve two rumors, besides the 3 mysteries.

The most useful card that made my game was the Lodge Researcher - free clues and sanity during a combat-heavy scenario, thank you very much! The carbine came a close second although there was 1 case when I unexpectedly fought a second monster in a round due to a clue encounter and lost the battle (I could've not used the carbine in the first combat, but I didn't expect a second encounter).

I was down to 1 sanity twice, and to 3 health once. There were at least two live-or-become-insane die rolls but they were with 3 and 4 dice respectively.

I am fairly certain that I know the rules well after nearly 20 games and made no mistakes, no stacking +X bonuses, not duplicating actions, etc.

In conclusion, it is my opinion that the game scales very nicely with odd number of investigators and the concerns about that are mostly unfounded. For example, just 1 of my 3 mysteries and 1 of my two rumors said "clues equal to half investigators" in their text. Yes, the game is slightly more difficult with odd number, but it is very playable and the difference is not as great as removing the easy mythos cards or starting with an extra rumor. I may be the minority in this, but I would never consider adding extra investigators (more than the number of players) to make the number even and the game easier.

Hope you enjoyed my first session report ever, any questions are welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice report, thanks for taking the time to write and post it for us.

I think I will try exactly your Silas/Shub matchup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
I manage to win Azatoth and Yog-Sottoth with one investigator. now will try others AO.
cool you can make a shubby..... then I have a chance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just asking how did you get 14 battle dice?
4 strenght + 2 upgrades +6 from weapon... two short in here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
Just asking how did you get 14 battle dice?
4 strenght + 2 upgrades +6 from weapon... two short in here.

I thought I explained it above - I rolled an attack with 6 dice (3 strength + carbine - 2) then rerolled a single die twice from hired muscle and fishing net. After not coming up with a single success I decided to reroll them all with the axe for 2 sanity. So that is a total of 14 rolls, not one 5 or 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.