Subject: adding only the big box location cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading MCCrispy's components setup geeklist, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/144509 , and I'm thinking of adding the Arkham location cards from the big box sets as a standard part of the base game (without any other expansion components).

The reason is that there's only 7 per location in the base game so you get the same thing again easily, and it kindof annoying to 'shuffle'.

So for a start (at random, really), I've been looking over the Innsmouth cards, and I feel like they're not really bound by the theme of that expansion (apart from 2 mentions of 'fish people', I believe).
But they do feel on first glance, like overall they're too positive. A lot of clues, items and 'remove all type X monsters' things.

I'm worried that putting these in might make the game easier, which I'd like to avoid. How would you feel about doing this?

edit/ added:
I've glanced over the Dark Pharaoh cards too, and they felt like they were much more directly related to the expansion's exhibit theme (and special cards). That's why I'm thinking to only add the big box cards.
Also, I haven't checked the other big box cards yet because if possible, I don't want to spoil too much for myself.

(edit2: re-wrote first part to explain things better)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
I was reading MCCrispy's components setup geeklist, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/144509 , and I was wondering how much else you can add to the base game while keeping it 'base'.

I'm thinking of adding certain expansion stuff to the base game. First thing on my mind, are the Arkham location cards from the big box sets.
There's only 7 per location in the base game so you get the same thing again easily, and it kindof annoying to 'shuffle'.

So for a start (at random, really), I've been looking over the Innsmouth cards, and I feel like they're not really bound by the theme of that expansion (apart from 2 mentions of 'fish people', I believe).
But they do feel on first glance, like overall they're too positive. A lot of clues, items and 'remove all type X monsters' things.

I'm worried that putting these in might make the game easier, which I'd like to avoid. How would you feel about doing this?

edit/ added:
I've glanced over the Dark Pharaoh cards too, and they felt like they were much more directly related to the expansion's exhibit theme (and special cards). That's why I'm thinking to only add the big box cards.
Also, I haven't checked the other big box cards yet because if possible, I don't want to spoil too much for myself.

Whatever you do, do not add the mythos, location, and gate cards for all expansions. It makes for a difficult disjointed game. There is a thread (searched for it quickly but could not find it) that discusses which expansions to use together. Generally, it recommends using 1 big box expansion with at most 2 small box expansions plus Miskatonic expansion. The thread goes into more detail about which small box expansions play best with which big box expansion.

Personally, I like to stick with the base game + 1 expansion + Miskatonic. Brings out the flavor of the expansion, keeps game time down, and doesn't add to many additional rules for new players (I'm usually teaching new players). If you're new to the game, then I would recommend this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Stargazer1x wrote:
Personally, I like to stick with the base game + 1 expansion + Miskatonic. Brings out the flavor of the expansion, keeps game time down, and doesn't add to many additional rules for new players (I'm usually teaching new players). If you're new to the game, then I would recommend this.

I completely agree with that. That's what I've been doing lately and I love it that way.

Personally, I've gone as far as not even adding any of the items (common, unique, spells) or monsters from the expansions unless I'm playing with that expansion.

The things I add to the base game from any expansion are:
- Investigators
- Ancient Ones
- Heralds
- Injury/Madness
- Personal stories
- Relationship cards
- Allies (separating them in two piles to make a reserve pile)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargazer1x wrote:
Whatever you do, do not add the mythos, location, and gate cards for all expansions. It makes for a difficult disjointed game.
I wasn't going to do all of that, just the big box Arkham location cards. Because there's so few of them in the base game (while the Mythos and Gate decks are pretty big).

Stargazer1x wrote:
There is a thread (searched for it quickly but could not find it) that discusses which expansions to use together. Generally, it recommends using 1 big box expansion with at most 2 small box expansions plus Miskatonic expansion. The thread goes into more detail about which small box expansions play best with which big box expansion.
Yeah, I've read those threads. But all I want is to expand on the base game as much as possible without actually going into bigger game/different theme/variant play territory.
For instance, most people seem to agree that the Injury/Madness and Personal Story cards can be thrown into the base game too without really changing much. Why not these as well?

It really seemed like the Arkham location cards from Innsmouth (to be clear, I'm not using the extra board and those cards) were more of the same:
"Bump into a student, get 2 clues"; "ritual at the woods, move to another location"; "armwrestling match to gain an ally".. nothing you don't already see in the base game.
While for instance the Dark Pharaoh ones said stuff like "skill check - get an exhibit item"; "a professor of egyptology needs your help"; etc.
That's why I thought the Innsmouth ones were harmless to add to the base game.

llopis wrote:
The things I add to the base game from any expansion are:
- Investigators
- Ancient Ones
- Heralds
- Injury/Madness
- Personal stories
- Relationship cards
- Allies (separating them in two piles to make a reserve pile)
This I don't really get.
Some Ancient Ones come with their own game-changing rules, like the 'space alien' one that starts destroying the first player right off the bat (including its own card deck). To me that seems way too much of a variant to 'just be added to the base game'. The Heralds go even further.
That's not what I want. I'm looking for all the stuff you can add while still retaining the same 'gameplay'(for lack of a better word, sorry) as the base game.

[edit: merged two comments]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Don't you hate it when people obviously don't read the thread they're replying too? shake Actually makes me wish for a downvote button...

I don't have all the expansions, but of the ones I have and what's on the wiki, I think you have a lot to gain (variety, less repetition) and nothing to lose by adding the Arkham location cards. I do the same thing.

Dark Pharoh and Yellow Sign are more thematic in general, I don't mind them, but I'd see the reason for leaving them out.

Don't worry about the difficulty, in my experience, most of the difficulty comes from the mythos deck, not the location cards. And you can always add a few other chunks of expansions to your mix if you want to increase difficulty but still not commit to using the whole expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbrageofsnow wrote:
Wow. Don't you hate it when people obviously don't read the thread they're replying too? shake Actually makes me wish for a downvote button...
In all fairness, I think the first part of my original post could make people think it's yet another "which expansion?" thread. Even though after that I try to explain it's just the Arkham Location cards I'm talking about.
I'll edit the original post to make this more obvious.

Umbrageofsnow wrote:

I don't have all the expansions, but of the ones I have and what's on the wiki, I think you have a lot to gain (variety, less repetition) and nothing to lose by adding the Arkham location cards. I do the same thing.
Cool. which ones do you have/use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Teeka wrote:
That's not what I want. I'm looking for all the stuff you can add while still retaining the same 'gameplay'(for lack of a better word, sorry) as the base game.

If you want to keep strictly the same gameplay as the base game, then you don't want to use any of the other items I listed (injury cards, personal stories, etc). They all change the gameplay.

Your best bet is to go through all the location cards, out of world cards, mythos, and items for each expansion, decide which of those are not themed at all after the expansion, and add them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as I said, I think Yellow Sign and Dark Pharaoh play fine but might be more themed than you're looking for. I wouldn't rule them out, but you can read the cards, or if you don't own them, you can read them on the wiki, sorted by location. Just click a location and you can read all the encounter there for each expansion. Take a sample and don't read them all and you won't spoil too much.

I also have Dunwich Horror and Kingsport, both of which seem absolutely fine to me to mix in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
If you want to keep strictly the same gameplay as the base game, then you don't want to use any of the other items I listed (injury cards, personal stories, etc). They all change the gameplay.
The second (and probably only other) thing I would add are the personal stories, actually.
I don't really see them as changing gameplay much, as they're kindof little exclusive rumors. But I see what you mean.
Funny how I/M is pretty much the first thing people mention as "throw it in always", but to me they seem more game-changing (not that that's bad, mind) than the personal stories.

llopis wrote:
Your best bet is to go through all the location cards, out of world cards, mythos, and items for each expansion, decide which of those are not themed at all after the expansion, and add them in.
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that, that's part of why I started this thread. It's a bit of a bummer to spoil so much of the first-time-surprises for myself by having to read them beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use all location cards when playing the base game. I don't mind if there's a chance that I may get an exhibit item. I just want it to be more common when I want to play The Dark Pharaoh. The kast time I played, I did just that, and to make the location cards from the expansion stand out, I put them on top. When having encounters, I rolled a twelvesided die. If it was 1-5 (there are 5 location cards in Dark Pharaoh), I picked that card, counting from the top. Otherwise, I just picked the sixth card. Dark Pharaoh cards went back to the top of the deck, other cards to the bottom. This way, Dark Pharaoh cards stayed available, while other cards were recycled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
llopis wrote:
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that, that's part of why I started this thread. It's a bit of a bummer to spoil so much of the first-time-surprises for myself by having to read them beforehand.
Yeah, there isn't a real fix for this issue. It's a problem with FFG releases of this ilk in that they don't provide enough variety in the original release and then the expansions provide combined "new" and "more" content in a non-modularised manner, which is a shame. Even Miskatonic only (IIRC) provides expansion of the expansion content, not the base game content (other than Mythos & Gate, but those aren't your problem) - they assume that you have expansions. So if you want more variety in the base game you have no way to do it without including expansion material and either "spoil" content or risk the occasional "inappropriate" card.

The best I can come up with is to play one of the big box expansions plus Miskatonic but stick to base AOs and Investigators. If you strip the Gate deck and Mythos deck of expansion cards from the big box (you can leave the dual gate mythos cards from MH) then the expansion board should be irrelevant. You will still get the occasional "inappropriate" encounter, but that is the price you'll have to pay for the vastly increased additional base game content. To illustrate: DH adds 63 base game location cards and MH adds 43 Mythos.

On the other hand, IIRC, Lurker played without the Herald mainly just adds base game content. Unlike KiY, CotDP or BGotW, which have thematic mechanisms that don't rely on the Herald, the Lurker Herald is (despite my previous comment) modularised. You could even ignore the replacement Gate tokens from Lurker. Lurker adds 36 Arkham Location Cards, 24 Gate Cards and 22 Mythos Cards, you could in fact just add these to add a little more to the Location decks and add the Gate Burst and the Two Gates Open mechanics to the base game. Those 36 Location Cards represent a >50% boost to the base game count of 63 Location cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to repeat what mccrispy said: Lurker without the herald is pretty much a base game expansion. Everything thematic about it is linked to the herald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Lurker adds 36 Arkham Location Cards, you could in fact just add these to add a little more to the Location decks
Ok, cool. I'll add those and the Innsmouth ones (as I've already spoiled those for myself anyway, and they seemed perfectly 'unthematic'). That'll be enough to satisfy the problem that there's too few cards.

But could you (or any other experienced player) care to comment on my concern that this will make the 'good encounter - bad encounter' ratio too positive?

mccrispy wrote:
and add the Gate Burst and the Two Gates Open mechanics to the base game.
Double gate cards I might add, but definitely not gate bursts. No matter how much (more) fun it might be, that's not what I consider 'base gameplay' anymore.

Just to clarify things, by the way:
In time, I will add the full expansions. I already own all of them except for Black Goat (which is on back order). And I have read the threads about how/whether or not to combine these.

But because adding expansions can really change things with this game, I just really like they idea of a 'fully expanded base game' as an intermediate thing (I do that with other games too). Especially when, as in this case with the location decks, I feel the base game is lacking something. So that's what I'm trying to do first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka,

One of the things you can do to add some excitement to the game without having the debilitating effects of the Gate Bursts is as follows:

When revealing a Gate Burst and the location currently has an Elder Sign, turn the Elder Sign token over to reveal the Doom Token side. Only another Gate Burst will remove it entirely from the location.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
But could you (or any other experienced player) care to comment on my concern that this will make the 'good encounter - bad encounter' ratio too positive?
All expansions increase difficulty to some degree. Lurker most certainly isn't a crushingly hard expansion, most of the difficulty comes from the Mythos deck (Gate Bursts and Double Gates). I frankly don't remember whether the Location Encounters are harder or not, which I expect means "not".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Teeka,

One of the things you can do to add some excitement to the game without having the debilitating effects of the Gate Bursts is as follows:

When revealing a Gate Burst and the location currently has an Elder Sign, turn the Elder Sign token over to reveal the Doom Token side. Only another Gate Burst will remove it entirely from the location.

Cheers,
Joe
Just 7 Gate Burst cards in 77 cards? Less than 1 in 10. I wouldn't expect to see more than 2 in a game on average - and even then they might not cause a burst. Hardly "debilitating" IMO. Besides, there are strategies for dealing with GBs - such as not sealing certain Gates until close to the end of the game; you can either put up with the Monster Surges or Close them without Sealing (depending on your party make up and the AO)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Teeka,

Cheers,
Joe
Just 7 Gate Burst cards in 77 cards? Less than 1 in 10. I wouldn't expect to see more than 2 in a game on average - and even then they might not cause a burst. Hardly "debilitating" IMO. Besides, there are strategies for dealing with GBs - such as not sealing certain Gates until close to the end of the game; you can either put up with the Monster Surges or Close them without Sealing (depending on your party make up and the AO)
Thanks guys, of course, but this again is falling into 'non-base gameplay'.
Whether I play gate bursts as-is or I try some house rule to get a middle ground, it still means playing a bit different from base-gameplay. The base gameplay is sealed=safe, so that shouldn't change when going for a 'fully expanded base game'.

Please note that it's not that I think normal gate burst play is too hard, and I will use that stuff eventually. That's not why I'm asking.
...I'm sorry if I've been unclear in what I'm asking, but it seems most of the help (still appreciated of course), involves either variant/house rules or 'this is the not-that-difficult expansion stuff'. But that's not what I've been talking about, all I mean is to add the 'more-of-the-same' stuff but not any 'different' stuff, that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I frankly don't remember whether the Location Encounters are harder or not, which I expect means "not".
When I was looking at the Innsmouth cards, I was more concerned with the game getting easier, actually.
At first glance it seemed there were quite a few really good effects, like getting clues for minimal effort, and 'remove all of symbol X monsters'
Like, if perhaps the locations cards were adding a bit of counterbalance to the difficulty raising mythos and/or gate cards.

I don't want to add cards to the base game if it means making the game easier or harder. But judging from the reactions, noone really has a clear view on that (no problem of course). So i'll just do it and see what happens I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka,

No problem, my friend. I do hope you find a good variant for yourself. Over time, do bring in all of the richness the expansions have to offer. It's quite a great game.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
I frankly don't remember whether the Location Encounters are harder or not, which I expect means "not".
When I was looking at the Innsmouth cards, I was more concerned with the game getting easier, actually.
At first glance it seemed there were quite a few really good effects, like getting clues for minimal effort, and 'remove all of symbol X monsters'
Like, if perhaps the locations cards were adding a bit of counterbalance to the difficulty raising mythos and/or gate cards.

I don't want to add cards to the base game if it means making the game easier or harder. But judging from the reactions, noone really has a clear view on that (no problem of course). So i'll just do it and see what happens I guess.
You must be the only player on the planet who thinks that Innsmouth is easier than Base. It may be that individual cards are easier, but if you use the Innsmouth board and mechanics and the Innsmouth AOs then you will be in for a bit of a shock.

Frankly, you can't have your cake and eat it here: there is no expansion that provides more base game and nothing else. We are trying to help you solve a problem the best way we can, if you don't think we're going about it the right way then you're on your own selecting individual cards for your own suitability criteria. Criteria that you haven't shared with us. Perhaps when you're done you could publish your list of cards so that the next time somebody asks your question you can be the one to answer it. Whatever you produce, it'll be as much of a Variant as anybody here has suggested to you, despite your desire to avoid Variants, so please post it to the Variants forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
You must be the only player on the planet who thinks that Innsmouth is easier than Base.
Never said that, I was only ever talking about the Arkham location cards.
mccrispy wrote:
It may be that individual cards are easier,
Yes, that was what I was asking.
mccrispy wrote:
but if you use the Innsmouth board and mechanics and the Innsmouth AOs then you will be in for a bit of a shock.
Wasn't going to (in this particular case). I was only ever talking about the Arkham location cards.
mccrispy wrote:
Frankly, you can't have your cake and eat it here: there is no expansion that provides more base game and nothing else.
I know, that's why I'm trying to accomplish this myself by picking things from expansions. Based on the ideas on your geeklist.

mccrispy wrote:
We are trying to help you solve a problem the best way we can, if you don't think we're going about it the right way then you're on your own selecting individual cards for your own suitability criteria. Criteria that you haven't shared with us.
In all honesty, I really feel like I have, but some people are just not thouroughly reading what I say. My question is so much simpler than some appear to think.

But please know that I really appreciate the time you are all taking for me, so I'll try again but this time point-by-point. I'll make a second post for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here goes:

- I'm looking to add Arkham location cards from expansions to the base game.
- That means just Arkham location cards, nothing else.

- The idea is to add only "more of the same" to the Arkham location decks, because I feel there aren't enough of them in the base game.
Therefore:

- The texts on these cards cannot have anything to do with any cards or mechanics that are not in the base game.
For instance, a CotDP card might tell you to take an exhibit item, which would not work cause those items aren't there.

- Adding these cards (again: without the rest of the expansion's stuff) should not make the game significantly easier or harder.

- It does not matter which expansion they are from, and if I can up the total per area from the base 7 to say, 20 cards, I'll already be happy.

- I mean to add all of those cards from any such expansion, not pick-and-choose (see notes below why).

--> All I want to know is: considering these criteria, which (if any) expansion has Arkham Location cards I can throw in?

Notes:
- I could read them all myself, of course. But I would like to not spoil them for myself. That's why I'm asking people who already have.
- I can't judge what the impact would be on the difficulty very well, even if I would read them. That's reason 2 I'm asking here.
- Yeah, I could just do it and then remove unusable cards I come across. But I was hoping there'd be enough expansions where that wouldn't be an issue.
- It's fine if the answer is "can't be done".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I get what you are trying to achieve, I suspect that the answer is not "can't be done", but rather, "you'll have to do it for yourself", the hard way. Maybe you'll get lucky and find somebody who already has. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try simply using all the Location cards, and discarding and redrawing for any that trigger a not-in-use mechanic. This should minimize "spoilers".

My group played a number of games with the base board and Dunwich location cards added in. We always use Injury and Madness (and I strongly recommend this practice, as it greatly improves game flow), so we had no problem with that mechanic popping up. The only other conflict I recall is characters being sent to "Another Time" for an encounter; we simply substituted "Another Dimension".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
You might try simply using all the Location cards, and discarding and redrawing for any that trigger a not-in-use mechanic. This should minimize "spoilers".
Yeah, I already had that idea too:
Teeka wrote:
I could just do it and then remove unusable cards I come across. But I was hoping there'd be enough expansions where that wouldn't be an issue.

Radulla wrote:
My group played a number of games with the base board and Dunwich location cards added in. We always use Injury and Madness (and I strongly recommend this practice, as it greatly improves game flow), so we had no problem with that mechanic popping up. The only other conflict I recall is characters being sent to "Another Time" for an encounter; we simply substituted "Another Dimension".
Adding I/M is a possibility for sure, as well as the personal stories. But I have a good idea on when and how I would like to do that. This thread was mainly about the location cards, cause that was the first thing we disliked: too little variation.

I've glanced over other sets as well now, and it seems only Lurker and Innsmouth are 'safe'.
Pharaoh and King in Yellow's cards refer to that expansions theme and special cards a lot, and Kingsport cards sometimes refer to its extra board as well as items. The only one I don't own yet is Black Goat, so don't know about that one.

Still, with Lurker and Innsmouth cards we're up to 15 cards per neighbourhood. So I guess it's a start, we'll try them the next couple of games.
As soon as I feel I can properly comment on it, I'll make a variant thread with my findings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.