Mark B
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

New to the hobby, I was just putting together my first board game order and I went back to include Dixit because people keep mentioning it and it sounds great for the kids.

One thing people say is that most end up buying the other Dixit sets, so I'm just wondering if there is some Dixit big box for sale?

Lastly, what's with card sleeves? Do people in this hobby generally use them? If so, I'm guessing the cards wouldn't fit in the box anymore, not sure I would like that, I was just looking for a gamer's point of view, I'm too new. The one’s I've seen were specifically for Dixit, Magnum Gold Ultra-Fit Sleeves Dixit.

This is just for casual family gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You absolutely won't need card sleeves. Many gamers don't sleeve any cards, while others, like me, only sleeve specific cards from certain games, such as hidden role cards. There will be people who sleeve Dixit to keep it pristine, but it isn't necessary! My wife once spilled a pint of water on our cards, and they've come through absolutely fine. I actually prefer handling the cards in games like Dixit, instead of the feel of card sleeves. Sleeves are personal preference, but not necessary in a game like Dixit.

Also, just start with the base game! If you play it so much that you need the variety that other cards provide, then look at picking up one of the expansions.

As far as I know, there is no 'big box' of Dixit (yet).

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that differs between the versions (besides the artwork) is the scoring track. I find the track in Dixit Journey easiest to use. Most people seem to prefer the art in the original version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a 'complete' set. But, I'd just start with one and see how you like it and how often you play.

I agree, you don't need to sleeve them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sleeving of cards can add years of life to a game's deck that you expect to play quite frequently. And when individual Magic: The Gathering cards are worth serious money, it makes sense to protect those with which you are playing. Neither situation describes me so I've yet to buy any sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
The cards are shuffled so rarely that you don't need sleeves, unless you're the type that sleeves everything, then sure.
There's no "complete big box". Also note that after Dixit 2 the artist changed so in newer versions (like Journey)/expansions the artstyle is bit different too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) they just redid The entire Dixit collection. The latest printing of Dixit base set has the newer scoreboard (same as Journey), which I agree is a huge improvement. It also has the newer insert with room for 4 sets (base set plus 3 expansions)

2) buy Dixit and Dixit 2 (now called Dixit Quest) together. Even after a couple games, my group was getting a little tired of the base cards. The Quest cards double the total but multiply the replayability exponentially. Plus, the insert won't feel nearly as empty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
Canada
flag msg tools
Moe45673 wrote:
1) they just redid The entire Dixit collection. The latest printing of Dixit base set has the newer scoreboard (same as Journey), which I agree is a huge improvement. It also has the newer insert with room for 4 sets (base set plus 3 expansions)

2) buy Dixit and Dixit 2 (now called Dixit Quest) together. Even after a couple games, my group was getting a little tired of the base cards. The Quest cards double the total but multiply the replayability exponentially. Plus, the insert won't feel nearly as empty

Thanks for the tip on the the new collection, is there anyway to determine from outside the box that it is the new Dixit with room for the. 4 sets?

The reseller I'm ordering said the following

"if it helps, it says "award-winning game" in a yellow star on the front. it doesn't have a copyright date on it. I will assume it is the latest edition but can't guarantee it"

He offered to open the box to check which was nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The product code should be written on the box. The newest is
2012-1/DIX01US/CH001

Older ones say 2011 or earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for sleeves. My copy has been played nearly 60 times and the cards are still as good as new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
No need for sleeves. My copy has been played nearly 60 times and the cards are still as good as new.

As a chronic sleeves, I'm actually going to agree. People I play this with also appreciate the art so much that I don't even have to say anything about not getting food on them (non-gamers).

Another thing we do to liven it up is have a category for each round decided by the first player, then when all have had a turn whoever is last gets to choose the new category, and so on, so that your ideas have to fit. For example, book characters, things that start with the letter c, etc. It keeps the game pretty fresh, even with just the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Turkmani
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
laughThe only games I have sleeved are magic the gathering, love letter and marvel legendary. All sleeved because of the constant shuffling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sleeving or not is personal preference. I sleeve everything. Sleeves are cheap (if u use penny sleeves) and it prolong the longevity of your games. I don't want coke spill on my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy one first or try before buying, i bought an expansion, dixit journey, but never got to play it and eventually sold it even though i really like the game but i still keep my worn-out dixit odyssey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.