Hide
8 Posts

A Study in Emerald» Forums » Rules

Subject: Making sense of scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Crater
msg tools
I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but I've read through the game a few times now and played the game once (only 2 players) and I'm still not sure how the scoring system works.

My trouble relates specifically to affiliation-specific points. The rulebook states that before identities are revealed you score points for:

- cities you control
- royal "persons" you have assassinated and/or hidden, and
- taking the Necronomicon card.

It goes on to state that when your identities are revealed, you adjust the points. Loyalists get points for the successful hiding of royalty while Restorationists get points for successful assassinations of royalty.

My question (stupid as it may be) is: Does this mean that you get ADDITIONAL points for these actions once your identity is revealed or that you either lose them or keep them depending on your affiliation?

Again, after writing the question out, I think I already know the answer, but we've been arguing about it and I'd love to hear what other people have been doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a really useful chart in the files section that covers this: Victory Points and Timing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Crater
msg tools
That solves everything for me. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very badly written. The chart is extremely helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:

I thought it was written clearly. The layout could use some improvements, though.

To get back to the point, it was obvious to me you can score the "royals" twice, since to do otherwise would invalidate a lot of the underpinnings of the two secret teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
coriolis wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

I thought it was written clearly. The layout could use some improvements, though.

To get back to the point, it was obvious to me you can score the "royals" twice, since to do otherwise would invalidate a lot of the underpinnings of the two secret teams.

I think you "provisionally" score the royals, and adjust at the end of the game. That is, if you are a loyalist you get provisional points for assassinating a royal which are then taken away after your identity is revealed.

Which is not at all clear in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coriolis wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

You do not score them two times. When you kill/hide a royal, you gain points. Than, at when you reveal yourself, you might keep the points - restorationist for killing, loyalist for hiding - or lose them, if the opposit has happent, loyalist killed or restorationist hidden a royal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You never score points for something twice. You evaluate a person's VP score depending on their situation. The reason for the complexity is that at no time in the game should a person's identity be revealed by the points they score.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.