Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of Shub-Niggurath's Mystery Cards, "Hunting the Thousand", states that by spending 2 Clues, an investigator may place a dead non-epic monster on the Mystery. When toughness = 2x number of investigators, mystery is solved.

Question: Suppose I use dynamite to blow up three monsters at once. Can I use just 2 Clues to place them all on the card, or would that cost me 6 Clues?

I have a feeling I know the answer, but it depresses me to think about it. Just think how you could brighten my day (not to mention saving the world) if you answer the way I want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am terribly sorry to break your heart, but it's 2 clues per monster.

Saving the world is not supposed to be easy and all that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well fine then.

Don't blame me when you find the Black Goat of the Woods in your kitchen feeding her Thousand Young.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I just started a game that includes Patrice and her Banishment spell, I need to ask if banished (i.e. discarded) monsters count towards the Mystery (assuming I spend the clues as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heilz wrote:
Since I just started a game that includes Patrice and her Banishment spell, I need to ask if banished (i.e. discarded) monsters count towards the Mystery (assuming I spend the clues as well).
"Hunting the Thousand" requires you to defeat the monsters, while "Banishment" discards them.

Edit: Typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the necromancy, but it was the first time I used this mystery, but in my game (in french), there's no difference between monsters you kill.

The text is: "when a non epic monster is killed, the active investigator may spend 2 clues to put it on this card. When there are monsters equal to 2 times the number of investigator, resolve this mystery.

-->I found this mystery hard, nearly impossible, as it requires a number of clues equal to 4 times the number of investigators, which is insane compared to all other mysteries, usually asking a lot less of them.

Is the english version different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, mystery is supposed to read "...When there are monsters with toughness equal to 2 times the number of investigators, resolve this mystery." It becomes quite a bit easier if you can kill monsters with 3 or 4 toughness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
Yes, mystery is supposed to read "...When there are monsters with toughness equal to 2 times the number of investigators, resolve this mystery." It becomes quite a bit easier if you can kill monsters with 3 or 4 toughness.

Woah, that would have been a lot easier with the proper rule!
I killed a lot of monsters, including one with toughness 4.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll be sure to apply the fix on my card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I defeat the set aside monsters such as the Dark Young. I spend the 2 clues and put the Dark Young on the Mystery. Now what if another effect asks me to spawn the Dark Young or Ambush with it?

My guess is that nothing happens because the monster is no longer in the bag or set aside. It would be pretty terrible if it came off the Mystery, but I'm used to terrible things happening in this game.

On the other hand, if the monsters on the Mystery are "protected", that would be one shiny light at the end of the tunnel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Now what if another effect asks me to spawn the Dark Young?
The same thing that happens when all available Dark Young (or other set-aside monster the game might call for) are already spawned. (Which, actually, is the case.) Nothing.

randomlife wrote:
or Ambush with it?
You have an Ambush as normal. During the Ambush the token is only needed as a reference, and it doesn't matter where is it physically located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
randomlife wrote:
Now what if another effect asks me to spawn the Dark Young?
The same thing that happens when all available Dark Young (or other set-aside monster the game might call for) are already spawned. (Which, actually, is the case.) Nothing.

randomlife wrote:
or Ambush with it?
You have an Ambush as normal. During the Ambush the token is only needed as a reference, and it doesn't matter where is it physically located.

So that's one "nice" thing about this Mystery -- if you defeat the set-aside monsters, it keeps them from coming back until you solve the Mystery.

I'm not sure that was the intention of the game authors, though. I wonder if they would prefer putting tokens on the Mystery equal to the toughness of the defeated monsters instead of the actual monster tokens themselves...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.