Jay Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi guys. This is a concept of a game I am looking to move forward with . I have a lot more details than what's below for those interested but for now I have posted the idea of the game. Ideally I would love to work on it within a team my goal is to create a fun, entertaining game with a lot of replay ability.

The idea behind this game is To make something different whilst still keeping to the same style of table top gaming that I love.

What I love and want to incorporate into this game.

One thing I am passionate about is MMORPG's . The idea behind levelling up and character progression is something I think is a must in fantasy gaming. I want to bring this idea to the game in a way that you play scenarios. Missions. Quests etc. And when you come back to the game your character(s) keep any upgrades and changes from the previous game.

I also use to be a huge warhammer 40k gamer. But I didn't want to have a tabletop game based around armies so this is how I plan to bring that aspect, by combining it with my love for dungeons and dragons.

Without going into a lot of boring detail I'll try to describe the concept with as basic information as possible.

The game can be played from between 2 to 5 people and will be set out like this;

Defender: the defender builds a small army with X amount of points, ranging from 4 levels of minions from weak to strong.

The defenders army then fights of the opposing squad(s) throughout a number of different scenarios.

Squads: this is where the other guys come in. With a totally different gameplay mechanic. Then other player/players have 4 unique characters from different squads that they also have points to spend, the squads all have different roles. The attacker is able to upgrade there weapons, armour. Abilities and items and then both teams play out the randomly chosen scenario.

There are a lot more details I have about the game but this is the concept that I have and would love to work on the idea within a team rather than on my own. with a couple of others we could really make this a great and fun game. If anyone is mildly interested and would like to know more information then please do message me . Also if anyone has any feedback on how awful the idea is then please let me know . Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope I haven't bored you too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
won't a competitive leveling up game cause rapid imbalance?

I like Blood Bowl, but found that league rules quickly caused one team to become unbeatable (especially the undead when they could not die).

How do you allow progression but keep it balanced without making the progression meaningless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Good question. I think this is an area that would need a ton of play testing and I have places that would be willing to test the prototype within there gaming clubs. At the moment this is a grey area until play testing has happened. A few key points I would like to focus on in that area would be to make sure progression is rewarding whilst not being vital.
For example: scenario X is playable and challenging if you have played 10 previous games or if it is your first.
A few ways for the squads to continue to be balanced would be to have gear / weapons degrade. Having upgrades that are purchasable for 1 scenario at a time that doesn't carry over could be another way of helping solve the issue. And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.