msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A knocked out hero may still recover damage from other heroes through
the use of skills, potions, and being revived (see “Revive a Hero” on page
10). If a knocked out hero recovers at least one damage, he immediately
replaces his hero token with his figure and may perform actions as normal
on his next turn.

I noticed the FAQ now says that an insight token can't be given to a hero who is knocked out. Why?

Which abilities can revive a hero? Does prayer of healing work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Prayer of Healing, Blessed Strike, Radiant Light, Healing Rain, Tempest, Drain Spirit, Healing Aura, Staff of Light, Health Potions, the Revive action, and probably other things I'm forgetting can be used to revive a hero.

The thing about the Insight Token is that it is a thing that you have to hold, and as such, it cannot be given to knocked out heroes, which are considered to be "not on the map."

The way I explain it to my friends is that all healing abilities can be used to revive heroes, but the Insight token is the exception. It's really nitpicky *why* it is the exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Yeah, it's a corner case. The "Soothing Insight" healing effect is triggered by a hero receiving the Insight Token. While KO'd heroes can be targeted by healing effects in general, they cannot be targeted with anything else. Since they cannot be targeted with an ability that gives them the Insight Token, Soothing Insight never gets a chance to trigger.

Note that the healing effect of Soothing Insight is "always on." The token does not have to be given to the hero by Soothing Insight itself in order for that healing effect to trigger - a subtlety I had originally missed myself.

as for the bit about discarding the Insight Token to recover 1 heart; it is true that a hero who is KO'd while in possession of the Insight Token will retain it, but it's also true that a KO'd hero can't use any abilities other than the Stand Up action.

So, the KO'd hero can't be given the token if he didn't have it beforehand, and he can't discard it while KO'd if he already had it. Neither triggering condition for those healing effects can be triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
With Focused Insight, you can revive a hero by giving an adjacent hero the insight token! Woo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

The thing about the Insight Token is that it is a thing that you have to hold, and as such, it cannot be given to knocked out heroes, which are considered to be "not on the map."

Is it really something you hold? Its not an item (as in traded by normal trading rules), and you can give it to anyone on the map, right? I thought it was just a marker, symbolic of an effect. You're explaination is good, but does that mean it is literally an exception to a rule? As in, was it a balance decision without the difference resulting from a rule?

Stewi wrote:

as for the bit about discarding the Insight Token to recover 1 heart; it is true that a hero who is KO'd while in possession of the Insight Token will retain it, but it's also true that a KO'd hero can't use any abilities other than the Stand Up action.

My impression is that the only action a knocked out hero can perform is the stand up action. Since the discarding of an insight token is not an action it seems fair to me.

rulebook p.15 wrote:
Unless revived by another hero, a knocked out hero may only perform
one action on his next turn, and that action must be to stand back up (see
“Stand Up” on page 10)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:
My impression is that the only action a knocked out hero can perform is the stand up action. Since the discarding of an insight token is not an action it seems fair to me.

rulebook p.15 wrote:
Unless revived by another hero, a knocked out hero may only perform
one action on his next turn, and that action must be to stand back up (see
“Stand Up” on page 10)

Would you let a Knocked Out hero discard an Elixir token to roll a red die and recover damage? I wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to play RAW and I don't see anything against it, so maybe. Although balance wise it doesn't seem like that should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Core rulebook, page 15:

Knocked Out
When a hero is defeated . . . A hero cannot use skills or abilities while knocked out, unless an effect specifically allows it.

Seems clear to me that elixirs 'n items and stuff are off limits while you're knocked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.