Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the fourth edition is pushing seven years old, do you think there will be a new addition anytime soon? Not sure if "now" is a good time to get into this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webber
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't think so as about to release a new expansion in the new year "Firelands" and another one is released on print on demand on the FFG website. Plus have another corner expansion to come on top of that at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think FFG will keep pumping out Talisman expansions for the revised 4th ed as long as people are willing to buy them. Talisman must sell very well considering how many expansions they have supported over the years and keep printing new runs. I don't think anything Talisman is out of print, except the 4th ed upgrade pack which makes sense why that was a limited run. They are supposed to have reprints of the core game and Frostmarch in early 2014.

I wouldn't expect to see a 5th edition of Talisman anytime soon. Maybe if FFG lost the GW license we could see a new edition of Talisman from someone else but they seem to have done very well with the GW products lines that seems unlikely.

The core Talisman game play is still pretty similar to the 1st/2nd ed with tweaks that most of us are in favor. I am not sure who the market is for a 5th ed version of Talisman as most fans did not like the 3rd edition, which changed the game play, and there would be little market for a 5th ed that played the same as the 4th. People that like Talisman (mostly) like it the way it is now. A cosmetic overall won't really get us to buy and nor would changing game play.

They still can make small box expansions -- they always seem to be popular. Still the potential for selling chrome -- painted minis, custom dice, improved bits, etc. We could see another tower type board or even the hated Timescape return. Also, no reason they couldn't release addition corner expansions such that you would have addition corner board choices. Or they could just stop and leave it complete, just because they game doesn't have a stream of expansions planned doesn't mean it is dead. I would rather not have a string of crappy expansions just to have them.

The "new" version of Talisman is Relic. I think Talisman 4th ed is going to be the current version for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
I think FFG will keep pumping out Talisman expansions for the revised 4th ed as long as people are willing to buy them. Talisman must sell very well considering how many expansions they have supported over the years and keep printing new runs. I don't think anything Talisman is out of print, except the 4th ed upgrade pack which makes sense why that was a limited run. They are supposed to have reprints of the core game and Frostmarch in early 2014.

I wouldn't expect to see a 5th edition of Talisman anytime soon. Maybe if FFG lost the GW license we could see a new edition of Talisman from someone else but they seem to have done very well with the GW products lines that seems unlikely.

The core Talisman game play is still pretty similar to the 1st/2nd ed with tweaks that most of us are in favor. I am not sure who the market is for a 5th ed version of Talisman as most fans did not like the 3rd edition, which changed the game play, and there would be little market for a 5th ed that played the same as the 4th. People that like Talisman (mostly) like it the way it is now. A cosmetic overall won't really get us to buy and nor would changing game play.

They still can make small box expansions -- they always seem to be popular. Still the potential for selling chrome -- painted minis, custom dice, improved bits, etc. We could see another tower type board or even the hated Timescape return. Also, no reason they couldn't release addition corner expansions such that you would have addition corner board choices. Or they could just stop and leave it complete, just because they game doesn't have a stream of expansions planned doesn't mean it is dead. I would rather not have a string of crappy expansions just to have them.

The "new" version of Talisman is Relic. I think Talisman 4th ed is going to be the current version for a long time.

I agree here, why would there be a 5th edition? Some people don't like certain expansions (er... cough...Dragons) but no complaints about the core game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

I agree here, why would there be a 5th edition? Some people don't like certain expansions (er... cough...Dragons) but no complaints about the core game.

Well, there could be a Talisman game updated to the Relic level. In my review of that game I wrote something like "Relic is like Talisman should have been" ... so if there will be ever a 5th edition, it will probably look like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

Well, there could be a Talisman game updated to the Relic level. In my review of that game I wrote something like "Relic is like Talisman should have been" ... so if there will be ever a 5th edition, it will probably look like that.

Haven't played Relic, yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there would also be more storytelling adventure games like Tales of the Arabian Nights. Where instead of cards, all the encounters would be enclosed within a large book .

Oh, God, that game is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
You really should.

Absolutely! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. There should not be a 5th edition in that the game doesn't need changing at this point. If you don't like it play Relic (where you don't interact with each other at all and may as well be playing solo), Prophecy, Return of the Heroes, Magic Realm or if you are really a glutton for boredom and punishment: Mage Knight.

HOWEVER-- the art to the main board is just not that great compared to what FF has done with the expansions and stands out for me as something that could be improved with a 'sub' edition. The dinosaurs in the hidden valley really irk me. What's more, the character art on the first set of characters is not that great. I would like to see a new main board for the art alone.

Of course, I think most of the miniatures are just awful (exacerbated by the fact that they cannot be painted due to the soft plastic) so at table view they all look like grey globs of plastic.

Nothing needs to change gameplay wise and this is the edition that should go on forever. You can take or leave the expansions per your taste (though Reaper is IMO essential).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
littlemute wrote:
Of course, I think most of the miniatures are just awful (exacerbated by the fact that they cannot be painted due to the soft plastic) so at table view they all look like grey globs of plastic.

Though soft plastics aren't to everone's taste, they most certainly can be painted to a good standard.

Take a look at the gallery of my old minis (sadly now gone...)

http://www.talismanisland.com/sd_painting_1.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlemute wrote:
No. There should not be a 5th edition in that the game doesn't need changing at this point. If you don't like it play Relic (where you don't interact with each other at all and may as well be playing solo)...

There we go, a wonderful reason to not go to Relic style of Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
littlemute wrote:
No. There should not be a 5th edition in that the game doesn't need changing at this point. If you don't like it play Relic (where you don't interact with each other at all and may as well be playing solo)...

There we go, a wonderful reason to not go to Relic style of Talisman.

I love Talisman. Love the 40K universe. Hated Relic. Besides no player interaction beyond the race to finish, they just over complicated the character system. It was like they wanted to make a 'deeper' version of Talisman. The charm of Talisman is it's simplicity and fun, they missed that in Relic.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relic is very simple and intuitive to play.I don't get the criticism.

Talisman's footprint with all the expansions and tokens has made it unwieldy for us.

What we love about Relic is that each card in the game helps you advance the game.

The goal-oriented gameplay makes Relic the more focused sibling and on the on-the-rails reward system makes for a brisker, more satisfying experience.

In addition, the characters' special abilities and Power cards feel more functional and central towards winning the game.

In Talisman, you could sit with your starting hand of spells, and have nothing to use them for.

This has become more of a problem as the main decks got diluted with excess cards. The probability of drawing enemies which drive the game forward has lessened.

Overall, Relic is far more flexible for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As was already stated, with expansions still being released for Talisman, I don't think a 5th edition is likely. In truth, after sinking so much time and resources into 4th ed (I own all xpacs), I very likely would not invest in it even though I'm a die hard fan of the game.

Regarding Relic: though it gets its inspiration from Talisman, it is NOT Talisman; and really wouldn't qualify as a "5th ed" imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Endicott
Australia
Newcastle (Maryland)
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.centerpieceminiatures.com/gallery/nggallery/board...

I had all mine done and they used them as their web pics - absolutely awesome

note the reaper and wolf custom changes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will_rachelle wrote:
http://www.centerpieceminiatures.com/gallery/nggallery/board...

I had all mine done and they used them as their web pics - absolutely awesome

note the reaper and wolf custom changes

Those look really good. I'm going to start doing my own mini painting early this year. I've read a couple good articles on how right here on bgg. I'm fairly artistically inclined but will be hard pressed to duplicate the quality in the pics you linked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.