Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: House Card Variants for 2nd ed 3-6 player - printable! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi forum!

Been years since I've been on one of these! Sorry - I'm not familiar with your culture or rules or what not, but I felt like sharing a project I've just finished working on. If this is not appropriate (or not interesting!) feel free to take it down. Mea Culpa!

My fiancée bought me the second edition GoT board game for Christmas, and I love it. It's a blast! I played diplomacy a lot in college, so this is like a pleasant return.

I do feel like the house cards could be better, though, through the lens of interpreting the books into a game. It's the same concerns many people seem to share in my research - Loras and Stannis in the same house is troubling, and Mace does not deserve to be nearly that powerful, Melisandre should be more significant, etc.

So I decided to try out making my own house cards for the standard six player game. It's been a fun vacation project! I tried to set them around A Clash of Kings, but that's a very loose rule.

I'm going to leave a link to what I made here, just in the name of sharing it with anyone who might be interested. Just to be clear: I've only just made these, and they were only a project for fun! They're barely play tested at all, and, actually, this was my first time using photoshop! (Which will show, especially in the Greyjoy cards, which were my first attempts). I'm not making any claim to greatness, but thought I'd just share them in the name of giving back to you all. I read a lot of your forums while thinking about how to make them, and appreciated all of your thinking on the subject.

Here's the link to the cards:

www.dropbox.com/sh/n1scyd4fgrqy8oh/1ua0PUCmfy

Each folder contains seven house cards and a back for the cards.

I also drew a lot of inspiration from two nine-player mods (and used their card scans to cut and paste.) Thanks to these two sources:

www.imgur.com/a/2UtK7

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2nclqv96kgpqo2m/v1IOEQ0nCg/Comple...

Like I said, my inspiration was to reinterpret the cards to more accurately reflect the books (in my opinion).

Tyrell represents the alliance with Renly, and Stannis still has a weak army and is relying on mercenaries to fill in the gaps. I decided to make the Stark cards solely focused on Robb's army (the zero card in there represents... making a deal with the devil? I don't want to get into spoilers, obviously, but I think it's a nice way of reflecting that arrangement).

I also did try to nerf Baratheon and Greyjoy a bit (it seems like they win too much) and buff Lannister a decent amount, too. I understand the argument that it's purposefully an imbalanced game to encourage diplomacy, and I love that. I'm going to keep the regular cards too - this is just a second option I might choose to play with sometimes.

As I said, I'm sharing these with anyone who wants them. They have very minimal play testing, so if you do use them, I'd love to hear about it!

I'd love to hear any thoughts, really, but I mostly just wanted to put these out there to say thanks to your community for (unwittingly) helping out with a project that's just been a lot of fun for the past few days.

(Remember: never used photoshop before! I know they aren't all that pretty! Did the best I could with that - and with all of it, really)

Thanks again, everyone! I have a lot of respect for this community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias R
Sweden
Stockholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nice! For someone new to the game, I think this is a remarkably creative and balanced effort! Some things might be overpowered, but that probably requires playtesting to verify.

The Baratheon-Tyrell house cards always bugged me too, since it seems so unnecessary not to do it right. Why not simply switch Renly with Axel Florent to get it thematically correct out of the box? Why FFG? WHYYY?

I particilarly like some of your other choices - Melisandre needs an upgrade for sure, and WTH is Brienne doing in the Baratheon deck anyway? Using Free City Mercenaries to replace her is a nice solution to the lack of Baratheon henchmen. Mace Tyrell should be downgraded. I like what you did with the Starks too.

EDIT: these abilities are nicely thematic too:
* If you win this combat, pick a house card from your opponent’s hand and discard it. If you lose this combat, your opponent picks a house card from your hand and discards it. (Joffrey)
* If you lose this combat, you may retreat as if you had a ship in an adjacent sea area (even if that area has enemy ships in it). (Davos)

EDIT2: Oh, this thread should probably be moved to the 2ed forums. Dunno how to get a mod's attention on that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks, dude! I was rather proud of Joffrey's card - the zero rating means you either play him when you're sure you'll win or when you're trapped without options - really the only ways the Lannisters would send him into a fight.

If you win, he happily beheads one of his opponents. If you lose, he furiously blames someone else and, again, happily beheads them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) : Variants.

mr18196 wrote:
EDIT2: Oh, this thread should probably be moved to the 2ed forums. Dunno how to get a mod's attention on that though.

Forgive the brief hijack Igz

If you feel that a thread would be better suited to a different location simply click the 'red X' at the top of the thread. This will then give you the option to select 'wrong forum'. Click this and it'll end up on a list for Admins to investigate. Threads are generally moved to where they'll get the best response, be easiest to find in the future and are in keeping with the sites conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger 19
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really good work. I would definitely give it a try. I really like some new cards, like the Free Cities Mercenaries and the upgraded Melisandre.

Balon and Asha Combat strenght switch is a good idea, especially considering Greyjoy starts with the VSB. The stronger Lannister deck is also a good idea. Is it a little too strong - Tywin, Tyrion ? -, good question, but I feel it's definitely more balanced this way than in the standard game. On Cersei's card, you could remove raid from the list of orders that can be removed, since all raids are resolved before any combat, in each turn !

Placing Tyrion's ability on a 3 CS card (Arianne Martell) is also a good idea.

Finally I think Tyrell's deck is the stronger that you've built, an even stronger Ser Loras is really dangerous, and Margaery's ability is also pretty strong. If I had to play a big game with those deck, House Tyrell would be my first choice, and House Lannister my second !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was concerned about Loras' ability on a four, too, but I really couldn't think of a different appropriate four for Tyrell. There was Randall Tarly, who is cited as one of the best soldiers in Westeros, but I didn't want to use relatively obscure characters because mostly casual fans will be playing with me. It's more fun if they know the characters (hence including Joffrey, Walder Frey, Littlefinger, etc).

I saw a variant somewhere that nerfed Loras so that, if you won, you could put a support or defend token in the winning area. That, mixed with the four, might balance him out a bit.

I considered keeping Margaery at a 1, but in many ways she's a foil to Cersei, so I wanted them to be at the same score. I also had in mind that many of the women in the original cards were low scoring, so I tried to move them up to be fairer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh, and I hadn't even considered your point about Cersei's card! Thanks! That should help clean it up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Thisisnotmylastname
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Very well done!

It looks like Greyjoy, Stark, Baratheon, Lannister and Martell are very well balanced, my only concern is Ser Loras, he might be a bit too powerful, I agree with the idea of placing a support or defence order instead.

I like the new version of Roose Bolton, I always thought he was too good a character to not have swords. Also Catelyn is much better as well.

There are no longer those awful, useless cards (Catelyn and Cersei, who frankly are clever characters who deserved more).

I will be sure to try this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks, dude! If you do try them out, please let me know how they work, and let me know if you have any other feedback.

In my mind, swords represent harshness. You take the surrendering army and put them to the sword. Gregor is an unforgiving monster, so he gets three. The Red Viper is hellbent on revenge, so he has two. Ned is honorable, yes, but also unforgiving - so he has two, as well.

So I agree that Roose needs swords - he's harsh and cruel, so it fits him well. I honestly considered putting three swords on him, but I figured it would be too strong if I did. I also think reinvigorating your deck doesn't fit him as a character.

However, his power does fit Frey, though, because in the books Robb goes to him because his army is stalled out. They can't keep going unless he lets them cross his bridge. Being out of good cards would be very similar - you can't keep attacking until you get your good cards back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Thisisnotmylastname
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to host the images on here, so that I can put them into Dave42's map and try them in a new PBF... hope that's ok.
http://tinyurl.com/qTe5E0VHeJPKwcgHAD35
That is what I have for the map.
[floatleft]

[floatleft]

Just to clear things up, because I am uploading these pictures, I feel the need to say, these pictures are not mine, they belong to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool!

Feel free to do a PBF run! I've never done one, but I think I could probably have time for it if you get enough other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I should add that I just posted a few new revised cards based on the feedback from everyone.

I changed the pictures on some cards to ones I liked more - Asha, Theon, Stannis. (Stannis was the only photograph in the set - don't know how that slipped past me. I did like the picture, though, so I just added a slight photoshop lens on top of it to look more like a painting than a photograph)

I removed the unnecessary text on Cersei.

I added in an optional Davos variant in case his current version is too underpowered. The new one adds a supply to your count if you win until you have to readjust supply. This version is MUCH more powerful. I'm going to continue to play with the original version that lets you have a more powerful retreat, but when I ordered these from artscow, I ordered both so I could put the alternate version in the deck if I needed it.

I changed Tyrell to make it less powerful. For one, Loras now only lets you move a defend or support into the conquered area - still powerful, but not monstrous. I also switch Margaery and the QoT's abilities. Marge now lets you cancel an order in the adjacent area, and the QoT has Mace's power to immediately gank something off the board.

I figured that switch was more fair because, while Mace's power was on Marge she was, for all intents and purposes, and extra 3. I think this will be more balanced, but I also love that it makes Marge and Cersei NEARLY the same card, but not quite. They're both 2s that fiddle with orders. It's a perfect reflection of the fact that they're foils to each other in the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Thisisnotmylastname
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have to upload the new/updated cards.
One thing, for the current (real card), Cersei is allowed to remove a march order as well. Not sure if you were aware of this or not.

[floatleft]

New Map: http://tinyurl.com/LpGfSaqCIldwpBcJ8kv1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I took off Cersei's ability to remove a march order to balance the fact that she's a 2 instead of a 0 now. Whether that's an appropriate change is up for debate, but that was my thinking in doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Thisisnotmylastname
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IgnavustheSlacker wrote:
I took off Cersei's ability to remove a march order to balance the fact that she's a 2 instead of a 0 now. Whether that's an appropriate change is up for debate, but that was my thinking in doing so.

Ok, that seems like a good change to balance the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wallace
United States
flag msg tools
Really nice work, here. It always rankled me to see Renly and Brienne in the Baratheon deck, so ironing that out deserves thanks all by itself.

I do hate to lose Loras's rolling march order, though. That struck me as one of the really dynamic powers in the game, one that could change the landscape in a bold stroke. To preserve balance, could I suggest making Renly the 4 instead of Loras? Renly's upgrade-footman power never seemed to me a huge boon, and putting him at the top with the other big movers and shakers like Stannis, Tywin and Robb is fitting.

On the whole, I love what I see and look forward to trying it out in the PBF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Richard
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm moving this post to a new thread. I'll put the link here later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinky Velvet Claw wrote:
Really nice work, here. It always rankled me to see Renly and Brienne in the Baratheon deck, so ironing that out deserves thanks all by itself.

I do hate to lose Loras's rolling march order, though. That struck me as one of the really dynamic powers in the game, one that could change the landscape in a bold stroke. To preserve balance, could I suggest making Renly the 4 instead of Loras? Renly's upgrade-footman power never seemed to me a huge boon, and putting him at the top with the other big movers and shakers like Stannis, Tywin and Robb is fitting.

On the whole, I love what I see and look forward to trying it out in the PBF!

I hear you in that. You're right that Renly might make for a more balance appropriate four, but my point in making these was to make them more reflective of the texts.

I feel like Renly was not a great strategic mind in the way that Tywin or Robb were. Yes, he amassed an army and played politics well enough, but there are many quotes about how he was a silly man who didn't take it all seriously enough. I just don't think he deserves the four.

That being said, I'm not sure that Loras really deserves the four either. He's a better leader than Renly, but later in the books Cersei manipulates him into making that foolish charge against one of Stannis' castles (Dragon's stone, maybe? Storm's End? Don't remember) and he does so - and gets roasted in oil!

It comes back to my earlier point about it being hard to find a four for Tyrell. I could have put in Randall Tarly as their four - there are some nice quotes in the books about him being one of the best soldiers in Westeros. Paxter Redwyne would have been another acceptable choice.

What you COULD do is put Loras back to three, keep his dynamic power, move Brienne to a 1 (she's smart but far from a leader, after all, and maybe that reflects how gullible she is) and make Renly a 2. That would give you room for a new 4. Hrmmm, what do you guys think about this set up:

4: Paxter Redwynne - some power that bolsters navy battles, I imagine?
3: Loras - keeps his original add at attack token to the conquered area
2: Margaery - gets the original QoTs ability to remove an adjacent order
2: Renly - keeps his original ability to upgrade a footman.
1: Brienne - A sword and a tower?
1: Mace - A tower
0: QoTs - Immediately destroy one of your opponent's attacking footmen (or ships? Does that belong on here?)

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi there, Jeremiah.

Are these supposed to represent a nine player expansion to my cards, or to the regular game? If they're for the regular game, do you think they might deserve to be in their own thread?

If they are supposed to work with mine, then you've used Walder Frey in your Tully set when I've already got him in my Stark deck. I agree that he's a treacherous son of a gun, so that's sort of a clever idea, but in that case I think you'd want him in a Lannister and a Stark deck, not the Tullys and the Starks, who were allies.

I'm actually not entirely sure why you have the Freys allied with the Tullys at all. I can't wrap my head around why that would be.

I'm really concerned about your Blackfish - it's basically a hyper-charged Balon.. on a four! It would allow way too much of an advantage.

Giving Edmure the less powerful Loras is interesting, but letting him consolidate power is a huge advantage - it's free money. That's the Lannister's four ability. I'm also not sure about him getting a three at all - his tactics are pretty disastrous for Robb in the Riverlands. If these are supposed to pair with mine, I'd give him no more than a 1. If they're supposed to pair with the original set, I think you could justify him being a 2.

It makes good story sense to have Black Walder power up when he's near a bridge, but I feel like that situation would be rare enough that it's not really worthy of a card. It would be circumstantial (Oh, look! I'm near a bridge! Neat.) instead of strategic in most plays, so I might rethink that, too. Maybe instead he gains power if the enemy has no legal area to retreat (to reflect that Freys use their bridge to corner people?)

I like your interpretation of Old Walder gaining power from support to reflect that he's a coward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Richard
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi JJ,

Thanks for the input. The cards are meant to interact with the original game, maybe they ought to be placed in another thread.

I have the Frey's in house Tully because they are Bannermen of the Riverlords (right?). You would have to forget about the Red Wedding and other events surrounding later events just as you have to forget about the deaths of some of the character cards in either near or distant times.

The possible replacement's for the Frey's would be Marq Piper, Jason Mallister (too old?), Hoster Tully (tooooooooo old and frail), can't think of anybody else off the top of my head.

The Blackfish's ability doesn't cancel out anyone printed combat strength, only modifies like those belonging to Victarion or Kevan Lannister.

I think you might be right about the CP order being attached to Edmure. And I can't necessarily justify him being a 3, or the Blackfish being a 4, but somebody has to fill those slots.

I just changed Black Walder's ability last night from a card similar to Theon's but with as an attack and not defend card. I do think his card could be strategic, but I was thinking maybe it would be too rare as well and I need to think about what else I can do to the card. Hey, one of the reasons I posted them here.

And, I didn't make the cards, they're a complete cut and paste job from images on Bing. I didn't think about there being any problems with that until after I posted them.

Thanks again, hope to get more feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wallace
United States
flag msg tools
IgnavustheSlacker wrote:
You're right that Renly might make for a more balance appropriate four, but my point in making these was to make them more reflective of the texts.

I feel like Renly was not a great strategic mind in the way that Tywin or Robb were. Yes, he amassed an army and played politics well enough, but there are many quotes about how he was a silly man who didn't take it all seriously enough. I just don't think he deserves the four.

I don't disagree with your reasoning at all, but from a mechanical standpoint I think Renly at 4 is the most elegant solution.

There honestly isn't a great candidate from the Reach to put at a 4. Randyll Tarly makes the most sense, I think; maybe Garlan "the Gallant". I don't feel like Paxter Redwyne really fits at all: he's important because he owns a bunch of ships, but that's about it. You could look at the Storm Lords (who aren't following Stannis, anyway), but not many of them make their way into the story. Renly's castellan, Courtnay Penrose? A cool guy, sure, but hardly a 4. Bryce Caron? Nah. No one else stands out.

My suggestion would be to put Tarly at 4 (with a sword or two, I guess), or otherwise drop Renly there as I mentioned before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinky Velvet Claw wrote:
IgnavustheSlacker wrote:
You're right that Renly might make for a more balance appropriate four, but my point in making these was to make them more reflective of the texts.

I don't disagree with your reasoning at all, but from a mechanical standpoint I think Renly at 4 is the most elegant solution.

There honestly isn't a great candidate from the Reach to put at a 4. Randyll Tarly makes the most sense, I think; maybe Garlan "the Gallant". I don't feel like Paxter Redwyne really fits at all: he's important because he owns a bunch of ships, but that's about it. You could look at the Storm Lords (who aren't following Stannis, anyway), but not many of them make their way into the story. Renly's castellan, Courtnay Penrose? A cool guy, sure, but hardly a 4. Bryce Caron? Nah. No one else stands out.

My suggestion would be to put Tarly at 4 (with a sword or two, I guess), or otherwise drop Renly there as I mentioned before.

Consider it done. I'll work on it today and post a new version.

Thanks for thinking this through with me, dude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

How do these look as a new and improved set for Tyrell that is BOTH balanced and accurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias R
Sweden
Stockholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Your cards inspired me to do this: Experimental Thematic Start Map. Thank you, and hope you don't mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pypok
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Not sure if you are interested, but I have created some blank Riverrun tokens and graphics. They are uploaded to my drop box:
Drop Box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.