Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Spalding
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got King of Tokyo primarily to play with my 12 year old son and his friends, and obviously characters and cards in the game directly refer to Godzilla, King Kong, and monsters like that.

But I had to really smile when I saw this one:

Any MST3K fans out there? This is referring to Gamera, a turtle shaped beast that destroys cities and kills thousands, but he likes children and is therefore a good guy. I thought that was a pretty clever and subtle reference for King of Tokyo to make.

I'm sure there's others too that I either don't get or haven't noticed yet. Anyone else see one?

Eric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
The references are anything but subtle!

Gamera only initially did damage (in order to eat, IIRC), after that he was helpful in protecting the earth and especially children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Textor
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happened to watch Pacific Rim a few hours before playing KoT. Doing those two things on the same day made BOTH of them insanely more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have virtually every Kaiju movie available on DVD. I can identify the source of most KoT cards. Subtlety is a matter of familiarity...

Pacific Rim, on the other hand, is much more reminiscent of Neon Genesis Evengelion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably because I just read this book again recently but it also reminded me of Stephen King's book "It." The force of good that brings the children in the book together to fight It was the turtle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spalding
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read It, but I have to believe the reference is to Gamera. If you see any of the movies, it makes a lot of sense. Just seemed like a bit of an obscure reference to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly Gamera, but it also reminds me of the Ultraman episode where the kids' chalk drawing comes to life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Strayer
msg tools
I will admit, they ruined the Gamera reference on Friend of Children card in the KoT 2nd edition artwork... no turtle can be seen anymore... I guess whoever did the artwork for 2nd Edition either never watched MST3K, or the reason for the turtle was completely lost on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.