Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
i suspect that i expanded too fast.
It's round 3:
I played Sparta and i collected twice, moved hoplites twice, traded twice and besieged twice, built some hoplites and built one wonder if i remember correctly.
Then i realized that i am hardly able to feed my polpulation.
But for sure i can't grow my cities which will result in no more armies next round.

The Athens player had even less luck, because non of the wonders fit his cities. He ended his turn with 1-2 prestige and was even worse of then me.

I am sure the Athens player should have used his Porxenos to gain 1-2 prestige points, too.
Did we both expand too fast or what else did we miss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to the start of the game is chaining of actions.
To be able to do more, it is vital to get Prestige points!
One way to do this is to annex several Poleis, as each polis will give you Prestige. The method of annexation is not important, however.

As banjo said, balance is key. Recruiting too many hoplites early-on and building too many galleys and/or merchants too early can cripple a city league.

On the other hand, not being able to feed the whole due to having annexed too many poleis is not necessarily a problem. If e.g. the Spartan has secured his influx of wheat (via taxation, of course), then not being able to hold all annexed cities in one round leads to losing of one or two. This can even be advantageous, as a tapped-out polis that becomes neutral will again have population to be used...

However, these are just a few thoughts. The game is not easily played, and to find your strategy, your rhythm and your balance while always keeping your opponent in check is most of the fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.