Hide
7 Posts

Forbidden Desert» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you have to clear all sand to find part and launch ship? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Naomi L
msg tools
I just finished my first play through but there was one part about the rules I wasn't clear about and the wording in the rules confused me.

Do you have to clear all the sand tiles to pick up a part? And do you have to clear all sand tiles from the launching pad in order to escape the desert and win the game?

I wasn't clear, since it says one sand tile is passable and two is blocked, and that the launch pad must be unblocked, which made me think you could fly off with one sand tile, but later in the rules it said to keep the launching pad clear of sand.

As it also used similar language for picking up parts, that the tile must be excavated and unblocked, and it seemed similar, it seemed like whatever the rule was for the launching pad would also apply to picking up the parts.

Other then that it was a really fun game. Came one turn away from escaping but ending up dying of thirst....lots of fun :-). Looking forward to playing it some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fangorn
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
I think it can have 1 tile on it, i.e. "unblocked," but I too am interested in the answer to this question.
Welcome to BGG! I gave you what little GG I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faithft wrote:
Do you have to clear all the sand tiles to pick up a part? And do you have to clear all sand tiles from the launching pad in order to escape the desert and win the game?

They can still have 1 sand tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rulebook is quite explicit

Page 3:
For 1 action you may pick up a revealed Flying Machine part on an unblocked and excavated tile.

Also on page 3:
A tile is considered “blocked” if there are 2 or more Sand markers on it.

So you can pick up a part even if there is 1 sand marker on it (as long as the tile is excavated). Same ruling for taking-off from the launch pad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the number of questions it creates - the rule "one sand tile but still accessible" seems to be more counterintuitive than any other. I guess the best way to explain it is similar to flooded tiles in Forbidden Island. They aren't gone, just on their way to going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faithft wrote:

As it also used similar language for picking up parts, that the tile must be excavated and unblocked, and it seemed similar, it seemed like whatever the rule was for the launching pad would also apply to picking up the parts.

The only time the tile would have to be completely clear of sand is if the part has been placed on an unexcavated tile, because it must be clear before you excavate.

In all other cases, tiles/parts are usable if there is only one sand placed, because it is considered unblocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi L
msg tools
Thank you! I really appreciate the welcome MLK! And thanks everyone for the answer (I know, I'm late on the thanks...I asked the question during Christmas and just got snowed under by a bunch of Christmas stuff). But thanks everyone! This is much clearer now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.