Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the course of our last few games I started to realise how much I dislike the d20 system. I think I have witnessed just too many plays up to this moment, where the heroes are constantly failing their attacks mostly by 1 or 2 points - which often spoils the adventure just from the beginning. Yes, one, two or three misses are funny, but not five or seven in a row.

This led me to a question, why the hell there is so little one can affect? And then - why there is no optional aiming system, actually?

So my proposition (not tested yet) is the Aim action:
- instead of Attack or Move as their first action, the Heroes may do the Aim action, which will provide a +2 bonus to all rolls on the following/subsequent Attack action (for current Hero phase only, of course)

This could help in certain situations where there is no use for movement OR against constant misses on all those high AC monters/villains. What do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that sounds great. I'd even go so far as to say offer a reroll for aiming instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are already using rerolls via 5xp cost, but the bad luck is the bad luck. If one have let's say 60% to hit, it still can happen quite frequently that the numbers fall into those other 40% one after one... So the main problem IMO is that the odds remain too unpredictable and thus the +numbers seem stronger/adequate to me than the rerolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XehutL wrote:
We are already using rerolls via 5xp cost, but the bad luck is the bad luck. If one have let's say 60% to hit, it still can happen quite frequently that the numbers fall into those other 40% one after one... So the main problem IMO is that the odds remain too unpredictable and thus the +numbers seem stronger/adequate to me than the rerolling.

And yet, with the example you provided, +2 equals a 80 % chance of hitting and the reroll option a 84 % chance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I have the choice of 6:4 with 2 rerolls VS 8:2 with 1 reroll, I'll take that 1 reroll. Am I really wrong on this?

EDIT: No I'm not. It is 90% VS 96%. But I understand where you are pointing.. it depends on what exactly is available for use to players. But overall one reroll should be enough/better, as you are saying.

EDIT2: Yes, almost wrong. The numbers are different. +2 = 10% of course, which means 7:3 and 91%.. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I messed up. Very embarrassing when the math was the whole point of the post. Yes,+2 equals +10%, so the total is of course 70 %. And allowing a reroll is p=1-0.4^2=0.84

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter, it is just a math and dice are wily
Anyway, I'm looking forward to test it - to see how useful it would be for play and if +2 would be enough..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a test solo play (with a numerous house-rules active & definitely more difficult play than basic) the +2 bonus seems to be nicely fitting. Sometimes it can even throw in quite hard decisions, which I very welcome.

The only question remains whether the "Aim" should really be a new action in itself, or if it should be considered just a Move action with no real movement.

In any way, I definitely recommend this variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I tried variant with no rerolling for experience, but with Aim allowing to roll twice in all subsequent attack rolls (for one Attack) and then to choose whichever outcome I liked. I played with Tarak & WoA, testing primarily Lucky Strike and Furious Assault in that way.

The game seemed to run quite smoothly and for the first half, it seemed almost too easy (I was having good throws: 90% of Hero's attacks hit, while monsters were hitting slightly bellow 50%). But unfortunately, as I have to almost permanently take a new Tiles from bottom (due to continual Sentries and Encounters), I ended the game with a loss - only 2 tiles remaining in a pile (I played a Chamber adventure).

Length of game was about 2hours, as I tried to slowly clear swarm of monsters first and only then to explore. I rolled 20 in Hero phase about 5x through the whole play.

Observation: Lucky Strike with Aim was almost too easy for facing chained monsters - it was sufficient to stand just on one tile, wait for monster to come to the neighboring tile, then Aim, Attack and kill. Then repeat for the next monster, until all are gone. Only rarely I wasn't able to hit for 2 damage if needed, and at that time, Furious Assault come handy.

Conclusion: choosing out of two rolls is most likely too much, rerolling for Aim is probably a better idea. Although, not allowing rerolling for Experience at the same time seemed as no problem (the frequency / usefulness of experience use depends highly on the cost: 1, 3 and 5xp cost I tested already in past, so I know the difference; plus such addition still does not solve the bad rolls issue at the start of play).

For the next play, I'll try to reroll only at most 1 attack roll via this action (in the case of multiple rolls). Also, I'll most likely rename this Action to Focus & allow its use for all the Disarms too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could generalise it as 6 six command points instead of 6 movement squares. 2 command points to add 1 to a dice roll, 3 for a reroll. 2 Command points for a +1 AC "Defensive stance". Or whatever works for you. Ranger Overwatch .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found out that for keeping simplicity and interaction with some cards, it is better if Aim action is not considered to be a Move action.

Also, it should be just addition to improve / correct the d20 issue I have with this game (i.e. roll with just one die: often low rolls for Heroes, while high for monsters). Allowing Heroes for more in their turn will break down current lower difficulty (IMO). This is especially true with that "Defensive stance" - too much flexibility will just transform all into another Drizzts or Bries.. Don't you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.