Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BANG!» Forums » General

Subject: What versions are out there since the second edition Bullet! was released? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamin Mills
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been using my trusty old 2nd edition with Dodge City and Fist-full expansions for about 7 years now. I suspect Dodge City is the first edition. I've made lots of notes on the cards to try to help new players remember what they do.

Several years ago somebody showed me the Bullet! I loved the text on the cards and updated symbols, it makes the game so much easier to teach!

As I've been looking around it seems there are even newer versions of the game out there. Is it still best to just get the Bullet? I'm really not interested in more expansions than Dodge City with Fist-full and High Noon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
There are tons and its pretty hard to follow. However, the fact that you have been playing this game for 7 years is astonishing -- there are tons of games that do the same thing better now. Have you looked into any of them?

And to answer your original question, the bullet is unlikely what you want any more if you want to stay up to date. There's an English second edition in a bigger box, and there is a recently released anniversary edition with kind of a mish-mash of expansion components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Baldwin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I'd suggest getting BANG! The Bullet!. It doesn't include either BANG! Wild West Show or BANG! Gold Rush but the game is better without them, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely want The Bullet.

All other versions have unnecessary (for you) gadgets (like players' boards and tokens) and you would still need to buy expansions.
As I know HN is included in newer editions of DC, but FoC is not available anymore (except The Bullet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very new to Bang! but I absolutely love it!

I disagree that there are lots of expansions, if you look at the list on this website half of them are promotion cards or fan made expansions.

I am not by any means discrediting them, just labeling them to get a real picture.

Unless there are expansions not listed...

A closer look at the Anniversary addition does not give any real expansions but only SOME characters from them, but with wooden bullets and player boards. It is on sale I think listed in the Hot Deals section, and if your looking for an update this may be a great way to go!

Compared to a new set right now that would be comparable in price if they can still be had at sale prices. Otherwise a certain online bid site, you can obtain Bang! a Chinese version for only about $8 from Hong Kong. With symbols on cards it is playable for non Chinese players, a cheap alternative, if it is an updated version. Otherwise you can buy regular versions for about the same price as the Anniversary on sale.

Wild West gets mostly negative reviews, but some people like it. I decided not to get it.

As for Gold Rush, the reviews are very mixed, so upon more careful questions and research, I found the dislike is mostly for the shadow variant and not the new item deck, So I ordered it and which I just got in the mail today.

The item deck can shorten the game because death comes quicker because people want gold, but the shadow variant people have complained it lengthens the game play.

So is Bullet worth it? Right now I probably wished I got it. If it contains everything I got, which also is Fistful of Cards. Cause I probably have spent the cost of Bullet by getting everything separately.

It depends on what expansions you want. If you gonna just want Bang and the new Dodge City with High Noon, then no, just get Anniversary and Dodge.

BTW I don't think there is a Dodge City version with Fistful of Cards, mine only had Highnoon. I got Fistful elsewhere, which is easily obtainable cheap, check out the thread about it on this website!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Bang the Bullet and I like it. It has the more popular expansions and the giant bullet shaped can it comes in is pretty cool

I'd love to see a version with actual bullets. I reload my own ammo so I simply made a set of bullets with no primer or power in them so they are perfectly safe. They add a lot to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
-- there are tons of games that do the same thing better now. Have you looked into any of them?

I know of the samurai one, but any other Western Shoot out games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamin Mills
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
BTW I don't think there is a Dodge City version with Fistful of Cards, mine only had Highnoon.

The old Dodge City that I got came with the Fistful of Cards. It was before they had come out with High Noon I think.

Elltrain wrote:
there are tons of games that do the same thing better now. Have you looked into any of them?

I have just started to look into new games. I've got lots of people used to Bang! now and it gets requested a lot though. Personally I've gotten more into games like Agricola, Dominion, or 7 Wonders since then. Bang! was just the one that started it all for me.

DomaGB wrote:
I know of the samurai one, but any other Western Shoot out games?

Personally I've found "Saboteur" which I like more than Bang! but it is a dwarf miner theme. I was recently given one called "The Resistence" which is more focused on the secret roles then strategy which seems interesting, it just needs 5 minimum to play which means we won't play it as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I recently learned about Saboteur, and looks interesting, but it can't replace Bang! It might even be better, but Bang! is a Western shoot out and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never really been fond of Saboteur, seems somehow to be missing the game. Bang is quite a fond game of mine, though now many people play:
* The Resistance (and Resistance Avalon, but so many people are obsessed by this game it turns me off a bit at games clubs)
* Samurai Sword (based on Bang but no deaths and feels very different)
* Coup
* Love Letter (very light but nice)
* Mascarade (a bit chaotic)
* Shadow Hunters
* Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space (quite thinky)
* and cooperative games with "hidden traitors" like Shadows over Camelot, Panic Station

and of course special mention to the grandparent of the hidden role games, Werewolf (Mafia)

Of course there are many many other games with bluffing is important factor, but they're don't have secret roles.

But Bang is still a favourite of mine. I have the Bullet. And I'm not afraid to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thrifted this game twice over the past couple of months. One version was a small box which only contained cards. Another cpy was in a slightly larger box and contained player boards to keep in front of each player, and about 30 bullet tokens.

I haven't opened the cards because they were still sealed and I am debating whether to sell these or not, but are they the same game? They are both base games (not expansions) but why does one have just cards and the other has the boards and tokens as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I thrifted this game twice over the past couple of months. One version was a small box which only contained cards. Another cpy was in a slightly larger box and contained player boards to keep in front of each player, and about 30 bullet tokens.

I haven't opened the cards because they were still sealed and I am debating whether to sell these or not, but are they the same game? They are both base games (not expansions) but why does one have just cards and the other has the boards and tokens as well?

Boards and tokenes come with 4th edition. They are not necessary to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ok. I didn't see the edition number on the boxes. So I guess I got two base games. Maybe I will try selling at least one of them then. I hear it's an alright game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Bang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.