1-3
4-9
10-15
16-30
31-100
100+
      148 answers
Poll created by recallme

I need my 2-player game, which probably changes over time: Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
Deep-Complex-Strategy: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Fun, fast Coop: Hanabi
Fun, fast filler for everyone: 6 nimmt!
Strategy for me and my girlfriend: Agricola
Deep Mutliplayer with lots of Interaction: Brass: Lancashire or Terra Mystica this would be El Grande if it supported 3 and 4 players

I'd like Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and Carrom in there, but could go without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting at 1350+ games (which includes expansions, based on how BGG counts). I think I'd like to see my collection down to about 300 plus their expansions (which would probably be 800-100 by BGG counting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1350+!!!!

Wow how do you afford to spend money on food
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catherine the Great wrote:
1350+!!!!

Meeples as food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw Vasel recently frying up some TTR trains... part of a balanced meal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1350+!!!!

Depends on how long he's collected them. A couple grand a year on games over 10+ years adds up. A hobby that only costs a couple grand a year is not an expensive hobby. There are worse!

A truck and two snow mobiles = 40k

A camp on the water might cost 40k but most likely more.

A ski condo would cost 50-60k or more.

A Grady White boat is 100k + docking fees, fuel and so forth.

4 wheelers for the family is probably 20k

Edit: Let's add in a Harley which would be 20k for the cheap ones.

I know a lot of people with the above "hobbies". Most of them really can't afford it but do anyway. But some people can really afford it and have plenty to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been continuously culling and paring my collection for some time now. I have owned a few hundred different games (including rebuying games I previously sold off) and would like to maintain a balance right about where I am 30-40 games. I really enjoy most of the games I own, but am always willing to kick a game out of the collection if I find a better one.

Selling games often helps pay for other games. Local math trades have helped as well. I try to give each game a fair shake, but occasionally still pick up a game that I want to play even though I know there is almost no chance it will see a play in either of my groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macrawn wrote:
1350+!!!!

Depends on how long he's collected them. A couple grand a year on games over 10+ years adds up. A hobby that only costs a couple grand a year is not an expensive hobby. There are worse!

A truck and two snow mobiles = 40k

A camp on the water might cost 40k but most likely more.

A ski condo would cost 50-60k or more.

A Grady White boat is 100k + docking fees, fuel and so forth.

4 wheelers for the family is probably 20k

Edit: Let's add in a Harley which would be 20k for the cheap ones.

I know a lot of people with the above "hobbies". Most of them really can't afford it but do anyway. But some people can really afford it and have plenty to spare.

Maybe 20k for the geezer glide Harleys. Those of us under 40 years old can spend less on a Harley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
1350+!!!!

Who needs food when you can have games???

And culling games ... the words alone sends shivers down my spine!

I probably could easily part from a few hundred games that I no longer play because they are outdated, but most of them gave me so much pleasure and joy that they are definitely allowed to stay.

I could easily part from a few games that belong to a collection or that I only bought because the theme or material looked great, but then again: as long as there is shelf space, there's no need to part from a game.

OTOH, I have 143 games listed as "for trade" ... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had at one time about 450 games give or take a dozen. It's not that expensive if you thrift. I have found almost new or even shrink wrapped games for only a few dollars that would retail $30-$40. One time I found a complete expansion to heroQuest for $2 and the going price for those are around $100.

Well to make a long story short I realized that I did have a lot of games that either weren't worth anything or never ever got played. I only seem to find time to play games once or twice a week and even then I find myself gravitating to the same 30 games or so. I got my collection down to around 200 but am trying to get it down to 150 or so. Why play mediocre games when there are so many great ones out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you held a gun to my head, I guess I could bring down my collection a fair bit.

In fact, I'm considering selling a few games, which I've never done before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently sitting at 300, and could see myself culling down to 100... I'd like to at least cull the 100 we rarely if ever play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There comes a time when I have to decide. Do I want the house to look like a house, or the den of a cardboard collector?

I'm limited to a couple of shelving units and a cabinet. If anything can't fit in those, culling begins.

And for that, I've got to say... I'm kind of starting to despise Ogre DE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I could cut my collection in half without too many tears.
I don't want to though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frohike wrote:
Do I want the house to look like a house, or the den of a cardboard collector?

Is this a trick question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
I have 110 (excluding expansions). I don't buy crap and I sell games I don't like but there are 10-20 that I still wouldn't miss, but have kept anyway (worth so little that it's better to keep or fills a niche etc.). Maybe I could sell 20-30 more and have about 70-90 great games, but I don't feel like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if I sold 3 or 4 or my wargames, I could likely buy a few hundred non wargames.

ASL it is worth 5 grand to me. That's a lot of ordinary gaming

But am not sure I have even seen 1000 games in my life time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went from 150 to 50 games this year. I reckon I could get to 30 before it got too sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about 8-10 games I am concidering selling at an auction at a gaming gathering. Still, it hurt a bit, but I fill the void with new game wishes. Plenty of game wishes!! My collection was close to 100, then I cut down. Now I am at about 80 - something. Plus expansions for a few of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
I don't think I ever will do something that drastic, but I could reduce my collection to 7 games. I would miss all the other 156.
DAMN, that's a lot, now that I've actually written it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I had over 300 at one point within the past few years (and that excludes all of the ones I've owned since the early 1970s) but have managed to pare down to only 62 (plus a handful of expansions for a few of them, since I rarely think expansions add much to most games).

I've only left myself the ones I truly enjoy playing, get table time frequently, ones I consider the best of the genre for how I play games, and give me a sense of joy when playing. That's what I've discovered after four decades of gaming ... there are a lot of good games, but only a handful that make me feel really joy and a childlike sense of fun while playing (winning or losing).

I'm in the process of selling another five, and looking at my shelf right now, could probably get rid of another five before I got to the "oww" stage.

So, let's say 50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection, plus the next one I buy.

No, wait, the one after that.

No, wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
stephedp wrote:
Saw Vasel recently frying up some TTR trains... part of a balanced meal!

ohhh nooo... should he not have dontated to charity...well that is hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RCH RCH
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Class of 2004
badge
It's not Jackie Chan!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, heading into 2013, my collection consisted of 15 games/expansions. The guy that normally hosted our weekly games night was no longer able to continue, so I volunteered to start hosting. As host, my collection has more than tripled up to 46 games/expansions in just this year. In fact, I started this account just to track my games, and just last month, I started to track plays. I love this site.

I think it was around my 25th game when I said "OK, one more game and I should be done". I've finally gotten to the point where I stop telling myself that lie.

My question to you guys in this thread: At what point does the subject of this thread even start to make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. I don't really know other people with games, so owning my own is important.

I don't really want to be too far above 100. I'm at probably fifty real games I play right now. And lots of expansions for x-wing and netrunner.

And of course magic is a game but I have . . . alot of that, so really if I had to get rid of everything else, I could live off playing magic forever. Or alternatively I could sell the magic cards and fuel my boardgaming purchases for a decade or more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.