Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The second environment in our game group's custom expansion (after the Wandering Isle), made by my roommate. It was originally a (placeholder) VCR, then briefly the Tardis, and now still pretty much the Tardis, but with crystals!

Half of it is a mix of all the common mess-with-you environment cards out there, plus a few targets. The other half is new mess-with-you effects, some of them pretty extreme. It can really have its way with a few heroes (and villains) and so far has had a pretty good blend of "oh crap" and "awesome" factor.

Environment: F.S.C. Continuance Wanderer

Time Monster (Qty: 5)
-----------------------------
Combat Cyborg (Qty: 1, HP: 4)
- Reduce damage dealt to environment targets by 2. At the end of the environment turn, this card deals non-environment the target with the lowest HP (H)-2 projectile damage.

Paradox Intrusion (Qty: 2, HP: 8)
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the hero target with the highest HP (H) energy damage.

Prehistoric Behemoth (Qty: 2, HP: 8)
- This card is immune to damage dealt by targets with less than 10HP.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals each hero target (H)-2 melee damage.

Time Vortex (Qty: 3)
Vortex Glitch (Qty: 1)
- Heroes cannot play cards. When another environment card enters play, destroy this card.

Vortex Interference (Qty: 1)
- Heroes cannot draw cards. When another environment card enters play, destroy this card.

Vortex Surge (Qty: 1)
- Heroes cannot use powers. When another environment card enters play, destroy this card.

Other (Qty: 7)
Temporal Acceleration (Qty: 1)
- When this card enters play, play the top card of each deck in turn order, starting with the villain deck. At the end of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Temporal Reversal (Qty: 1)
- When this card enters play, place 1 card in play from each other deck back on top of that deck. At the end of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Temporal Slipstream (Qty: 1)
- When this card enters play, select a hero. That hero skips their next turn. At the end of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Superimposed Realities (Qty: 1)
- When this card enters play, select a hero. That hero may play an extra (H)-1 cards, draw an extra (H)-1 cards, and use an extra (H)-1 powers on their next turn. All other heroes skip their next turn. At the end of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Temporal Reset (Qty: 1)
- When this card enters play, destroy all other environment cards. Place all hero cards in play back into their hands. Shuffle the villain cards in play and the villain trash back into the villain deck. At the end of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Time Freeze (Qty: 1)
- When this card enters play, each player discards their hand and draws 3 cards. At the end of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Heart of the Wanderer (Qty: 1)
- When this card enters play, reveal the top card of each deck in turn order and either discard it or replace it. At the end of the environment turn, destroy this card.

[ High-res individual images | printing instructions ]

EDIT: changed Heart of the Wanderer's effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Some notes on how it's intended to play:
- Paradox Intrusion gives the deck a few standard targets. It and the Behemoth only hit hero targets, making the Cyborg (2 armor for environments) a bigger problem. This encourages either killing stuff as soon as it comes out, or having some focus fire ready for the Cyborg.
- Haven't playtested the Behemoth's immunity to low-HP targets, but the intent is it keeps indiscriminate villain minions from solving your problem, plus makes it hard to kill with golems or summons. If all heroes are down below 10HP, hopefully you have an environment killer.
- The Time Vortexes get names since they're the only ones that stay out. They're your basic effects, sans any built-in way to get rid of them; so they go away whenever another environment card comes out.
- Acceleration is the Ennead's play-from-all-decks effect (which is usually better for the heroes, IMO).
- Reversal can be great with Bloody Knuckles or weak villain minions; otherwise it can set everyone back.
- Slipstream is straightforward, with no way to bypass it, but you get to pick.
- Superimposed Realities hasn't come up often for us, but its intent is one hero takes a quadruple turn, the rest don't do anything. Could be terrible, could be great.
- Reset has the biggest chance to mess with certain villains (Chairman), but villains that rely on one-shots get a big jump on you. This card also cleans up environment targets for you.
- Freeze can really bite Haka/Scholar or end-game teams; it's generally pretty nasty when it comes out.
- Heart of the Wanderer gives the heroes a bit of a breather and hopefully sidesteps at least one nasty effect for you, since there are so many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! Why did you decide to buck convention and not use "footnoted" quotes for the flavor text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Environments don't have the footnotes, for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As-written, Superimposed Realities won't do anything, because it will be destroyed in the turn it comes out. You might want to make it destroy itself at the start of the Environment turn.

You have an awful lot of things that are destroyed when another Environment card comes into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks as awesome as usual. I have just ordered a print of all your cards on printer studio, I should have waited just a bit more.

One comment on this set, it is great but maybe a bit too random and lacking interactivity. What do you think of an option for hero to discard or skip turn to counter or increase some effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
As-written, Superimposed Realities won't do anything,

This was the reason behind the "when this enters play, select a hero" wording. The idea is when it enters play, it lays down what it's going to do; at that point it doesn't need to be in play any more. Also the reason for using "next turn" in the wording instead of referring to "while this is in play" or some such; next turn is a clear point in time independent of when Superimposed Realities comes out or goes away.

Originally all the cards stayed out for a round, but effects like this got complicated. So now they're just the environment equivalent of one-shots with effects that last.

Jlerpy wrote:
You have an awful lot of things that are destroyed when another Environment card comes into play.

Just the three time vortexes, which is why they got keywords to help set them apart.

the_yoshi wrote:
What do you think of an option for hero to discard or skip turn to counter or increase some effect

When we've played it (Heart of the Wanderer not yet having been added) the randomness hasn't been bad; it forces some very on-your-toes adjustments to strategy under constantly changing limitations, but planning is easier when the effects only last a round. It's definitely not an environment you can ignore, and it will mess up your plans, but there's not much in there that you could mitigate with extra turn skips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Environment cards don't work as one-shots. Like ongoing cards, once they leave play, their effects go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
We play the tendril thing from Realm of Discord this way (don't have exact wording handy): if it damages a target, their damage is reduced til start of next environment turn. If someone else kills it we don't remove that effect, because its duration was specified independent of the card's. Same with the brain-slug-looking one (can't remember name) that hits the highest and ups their damage til start of next environment turn.

I don't see any reason you can't have the duration specified in the wording and independent of card play (other than it's usually harder to keep track of effects if the card is gone).

That said, if there's an official ruling on this, could you point me to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I can see why you wouldn't want to let it sit in play, as the first hero could destroy it after gaining benefits.

It might work better with a damage contingent:
deal 1 hero 1 irreducible damage, that hero may (blah blah), any hero that does not take damage this way must skip their next turn.

Too bad there isn't Temporal damage. Probably use infernal, energy, radiant, or even psychic.

That way it matches already used card logic and won't breed random confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bishop is right. There's nothing inherent about environment cards that prevents their effects from lingering when the card leaves play.

Precedents include:
* Block Guard (The Block);
* Ethereal Bonds (Realm of Discord);
* Tendrils of Madness (Time Cataclysm)

The only difference for environment cards is how they enter play and these follow that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_yoshi wrote:
It looks as awesome as usual. I have just ordered a print of all your cards on printer studio, I should have waited just a bit more.

My sentiments EXACTLY. As a big Dr. Who fan I am pretty bummed that I missed adding this one to my order from PrinterStudio by a day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
the_yoshi wrote:

My sentiments EXACTLY. As a big Dr. Who fan I am pretty bummed that I missed adding this one to my order from PrinterStudio by a day

Are M Bishop's cards available to print on Artscow or PrinterStudio?
I'd love to get a set of all the efforts, but am not familiar with uploading the images to either of those sites.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten them from Printers Studio but Unfortunately they don't have a mechanism for sharing projects like Arts Cow does. The interface isn't too difficult to learn but it does take a bit of practice. Printers Studio is a bit of a pain in coordinating the fronts with the backs, Arts Cow lets you do both simultaneously. Printers Studio seems to have more consistent results but fewer good sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Very nice! Lots of variety and great art that closely emulates the original one. Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I've got a link in the first 5 hero/villains to a zip file with single images sized for Printer Studio (here). I'm updating it every few weeks, so I recently added a text file to the directory called UPDATES which lists the last time the images were updated, and the changes.

Currently the only thing missing is this environment. I'll probably export them in a week or so. I'll also probably break apart the zip file so you don't have to redownload the whole thing.

I don't have any plans to use Artscow, since I've heard better things about PS; if someone would like to sort of unofficially make and update a deck there, I'd be happy to message them whenever I update the images.

Incidentally, the first set of cards I ordered from PS came last week, formatting looked great but they were a bit dark and had tiny white flecks on most of the cards. Robrob said he hasn't had any problems with them, and I've emailed them about the issue, but just wondering if anyone else has any feedback on their cards or customer service (still waiting to hear back). Overall still happy and plan to order again, just hoping to sort that out first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got everything except the latest environment cards loaded on six, 52 playing cards orders at Artscow.

I can't seem to find a good discount that includes free shipping.
Any way I play with the codes, I'm still looking at an $80-ish price tag.
Any help or leads is appreciated!

Matthew, the artwork and design on these cards is gorgeous.
Uploading the cards to Artscow and admiring Tiamat, The Stranger, Quicksilver, and the others - dang!
The amount of time and work on these is impressive.
Thank you for creating and sharing with the BGG community. GG is in order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I ordered everything just before Christmas with a deal code. At the time, everything fit into a 198 card deck, code for 20% off + free shipping, so I got 4 heroes/1 villain for $14.55.

If you can do them in batches as 234 card decks and wait for codes, it seems like not a bad way to go (no idea how often between codes, but I think there was another in Nov for Thanksgiving).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was on Printer Studio, huh?
I'd be willing to pay that much, but I just spent so much time uploading to Artscow that I'm going to try fishing for so more codes. Perhaps purchase the six deck separately, somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
I ordered everything just before Christmas with a deal code. At the time, everything fit into a 198 card deck, code for 20% off + free shipping, so I got 4 heroes/1 villain for $14.55.

If you can do them in batches as 234 card decks and wait for codes, it seems like not a bad way to go (no idea how often between codes, but I think there was another in Nov for Thanksgiving).

I did the same before Christmas. I just worked up a 218(?) card deck for $20 but with over $10 for shipping I'm going to wait till the next discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bright
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I got Quicksilver a few weeks back from Printer Studio and didn't have any issues with the cards. No white flakes or anything. My brother and I had also just ordered a game from TheGameCrafter who print their own cards and Printer Studio was better by far. It was a heavier card with better ink.

The rest of Cauldron (minus the new environment) is on the way from Printer Studio. I'll let you know if there are any issues.

Anyone know how often PS runs discount codes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens to your Printer Studio files?
Are they no longer available to you or others?
Just bugs me to spend so much time uploading and adjusting images on Artscow to halted with pricey orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS projects can't be "shared" like Arts Cow projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Free international shipping on ALL orders from Printer Studio through 1/7/13. Perfect chance to get some prints of any of the many fantastic variants posted here! Enjoy!

http://www.printerstudio.com/coupons.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
Free international shipping on ALL orders from Printer Studio through 1/7/13. Perfect chance to get some prints of any of the many fantastic variants posted here! Enjoy!

http://www.printerstudio.com/coupons.aspx

Knew I should have moved to Canada! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.