Subject: For those of you that bought 3 cores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of the one-of's do you actually use multiples of? ar

I have 3 copies of all 3-of's and 2-of's, but no 1-of's. I bought a left over set from a guy that bought 3 cores.

My play group is on the verge of getting into this, so far we've been using my set with proxies.
I am looking at picking up a completion set on ebay or just grabbing a core or two and selling the remainders to the guys.

How many of the 1-of's are worth owning multiples of and how many are just useless? In our learning games using the core decks, I've come to see a few of them as only usable in certain situations, but once I get to deck building, I'm sure that may change.

Any input?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the list at http://netrunnerdb.com/find/?q=e%3Acore+y%3A1, I find the following pretty handy to have a 3rd of:

1. Aesop's Pawnshop
2. Desperado
3. Grimoire
4. SanSan City Grid

Corporate Troubleshooter used to be pretty popular, but less so these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Burkhead
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
San San region, Corprate Troubleshooter and desperado are the big ones I believe. Of the twos Red herrings, Autoscript and if you are going to tag and bag scorched earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
SanSan and Desperado are probably the most heavily used 1-ofs at the moment.

Edit: There are others that are handy to have 3x of for certain archetypes but every Criminal deck can put 3x Desperado to use and most NBN strategies use 3x SanSan.

In a pinch, Doppleganger is a good substitute for Desperado.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about if you never picked up a second or third core but you have picked up every expansion? (As of the second pack in Spin Cycle)

Is it still worth picking up a cheap core (it's often on sale new for $20 or less these days) or two?

(This is for casual play with a friend who finally picked up his own set, probably not tournaments)

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second core is hugely helpful. The third, these days, seems necessary if you want to win Worlds (almost all of the top decks had 3x SanSan and 3x Desperado), but having two of those cards won't kill you in lower stakes play. And in the worst case you could borrow a friend's SanSan or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
SanSan City Grid and Grimoire are my most common three-ofs. I don't play Criminal, but if I did Desperado would certainly be on that list-- as for Corporate Troubleshooter and Aesop's Pawnshop, I usually find that three is too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For plays with a friend use proxies. Save your money for the moment in which you are certain that the game will hit the table often enough. It will happen.believe me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Netrunner a lot. I play at least once a week, usually more.

Most decks I come up with include one of the 1-ofs from the core set. Those that do have at least 2, often 3 copies.

3x Desperado is a huge deal all in itself.

2x or 3x Zaibatsu Loyalty is becoming a bigger deal every day.

My primary corp deck right now has 3x Corporate Troubleshooter.

My secondary corp deck has 3x SanSan.

One of my runner decks has 2x Grimoire, but it could be 3!

It is true that as time goes on the value of that third core set goes down. You'll be able to get by with just two. Really it's just Desperado and SanSan are so powerful. Until those cards go out of style, which I don't see happening any time soon, they spoil the whole soup.

Also, do not discount the value of having more than 3x copies of some cards. I am always happy to have so many Sure Gambles. That way I can have multiple runner decks simultaneously without having to swap cards around all the time or use proxies. The real problem is that some of the cards I want many copies of I only have 3. I'm not about to buy extra data packs just to get more than 3x Plascrete. I'm definitely not going to buy another copy of C&C just to get more of the neutral economy cards, no matter how convenient it would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 7 desperados across my 3 runner decks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most important: Desperado

Desperado is a card you want out immediately, in which case it becomes amazingly strong. So running 3 of them is FAR better than running 2 of them.

SanSan City Grid is also great as a 3 of. Not that you need it immediately, but it is prone to getting trashed, so 3 is usually better than 2 in most FA decks.

I would run 3 x Grimoire in virus heavy Anarch decks, but I guess you can often do almost as well with 2.

As for the rest, I don't think you really need 3 unless you have a very specific strategy in which that card becomes crucial (like Corporate Troubleshooter in some decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Otterson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think everyone's pretty much covered it.

Also, if you want to be an evangelist I recommend buying a 4th core set; you can fit the whole thing unsleeved in a double deck box (http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Black-Dual-Deck/dp/B004I0Z53...) and bust it out at any time to teach newbies. A great investment if you offer lukewarm bowls of tapioca at the altars of Garfield & Litzsinger, et. al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
talism emrys
msg tools
In all honesty i would just buy 2 cores, and then hold out for the draft cards and try pick up the extra that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hans otterson wrote:
A great investment if you offer lukewarm bowls of tapioca at the altars of Garfield & Litzsinger, et. al.

4th core is for teaching new players.
5th core is for Drafting.

Its the 6th core that is for offering at altars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After 2 core sets I scanned all 11 cards and printed them. The result was very good and when you put them in color sleeves you have full set of cards (kitchen table only
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to stick with the proxies I have for the time being, the guys will be fine with it. I'll probably order a core when they order theirs, then sell or give the leftovers to them to help get their playsets completed.

I've managed to get two of our casual M:TG group hooked, now for the rest of 'em!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brodee ee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
After 2 core sets I scanned all 11 cards and printed them. The result was very good and when you put them in color sleeves you have full set of cards (kitchen table only

I did the same thing. except I printed 3 copies of the one-ofs and gave 2 each and 1 each of the 2-ofs to a friend. so now we could both have 3 copies of each card.
then I went to a tournament and ended up just buying my third core there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
These are the amounts that I'll use of something from the list of 1 ofs when I go to use it. Not all of those are competitive strategies, but
even as a johnny you sometimes want multiples of things like Akitaro.

(*) Considered a competitive include

3x
*Aesop's Pawnshop
Akitaro Watanabe
*Corporate Troubleshooter
*Desperado
*Grimoire
*SanSan City Grid
The Toolbox

2x
Data Dealer (This highly frowned upon card, I built a deck that used it and I always wanted it as a 2 of until hostage came out... so it might be more of a 1 of now. Not competitive though.)
*Ice Carver
*Zaibatsu Loyalty

1x

0x
Security Subcontract (I've rarely want to trash my rezzed ice, but maybe now with caissa I would? There are times when ice is invalidated, but I never no what position this card should take in my deck so it never makes it in.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up with 3 but splitting the 3rd with a friend who just wanted more of the 3 of's to build multiple decks.

2 is almost a must, but 3 cores is really a toss up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use all nine hedge funds and sure gambles, and might eBay one more set of each. I like running multiple decks without ripping from other decks (though one of my best games came from a gamble-less Gabe deck). Of the one offs, desperados, ice carvers, troubleshooter are probably the three that I am most likely to run all three copies of. Its really nice but I think by and large the decks would be competitive without the third set, just not as consistent. Netrunner is of course more about how you play than what!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:

0x
Security Subcontract (I've rarely want to trash my rezzed ice, but maybe now with caissa I would? There are times when ice is invalidated, but I never no what position this card should take in my deck so it never makes it in.)

It's actually really fun to play with. Run lots of ice (as in 28 or more pieces), burst econ cards (green levelx3 for sure), and two or three subcontracts. Once ice becomes exposed, unless it's a sure-fire stop (code gate and they have no decoder or the likes) sell it. Never let a full tower of ice be face up. It absolutely wrecks their planning and you'll have a poor runner for most of the game. Run lots of 1/3 agendas and only one big fiver, if any.

It's slow to score, but also slow to get cracked. Mid to late game it can get cut through by a built runner so it's not really a tournament deck, but it's all kinds of frustrating for the runner and that is perfect for a lulz game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
been actually thinking of it with program trashers like grim and roto and such to sell them after theyve done their duty, right after they get the trashed program, so the runner doesnt go looking for the breaker, then using archived memories or interns to steal tempo while they are looking for the breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.