Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/the-purge-reviews-a...

Conclusion:

Mercurius plays like a giant market driven spreadsheet and looks like one to boot. If your game is going to be "just" a market mechanic then I am not sure there is a better aesthetic choice to be made.

Even so, the components are small and at times hard to pick up and move. The art work on the board is drab and hard to stare at for hours. Luckily, the game is only about an hour long and moves fairly quickly. This is a huge plus to the game.

The odd part is for a modern game it feels more like part of a game rather than a whole game. That is not to say it isn't fun. I actually like the game and had a lot of fun with it, but most games now recently would use this as part of a game (not the whole game). Yet, I do enjoy the game and how quick it moves.

I fear that I can find this game with other better games. The bonus for the other games it will be part of a larger game. Yet, for a straight up stock market game I think it is my favorite (currently).

There are a lot of market factors going on in this game and you only have partial information. You know what the current price is, you know your cards, you know a few cards that are affecting the market, but you do not know the cards that will be played in the future. At some point, you take what information you have and make the best decision you can. With more and more experience, you can start to notice what cards have been played and which ones have not. There are cards taken out of the deck, so you are never 100% sure which cards are in the "game".

We had a lot of fun, but it is the same thing over and over. The game is short enough, so it never felt like it dragged on. Yet, you are just moving products up and down on a market and collecting (and spending) money.

Overall, this game is a keeper for right now. I have a few more "market" games on my to play list so it could be dropped. I like market games, but they can be redundant.

Components:

The components are small. Real small. The money, chits, products, and even the board are small. Ok, the board is long. If you can get past how tiny everything is, then you will find well made components.

The board is just a spreadsheet of prices. I wish the products/companies were not on the same "line". It just made it hard to use. I think they were trying to keep it compact (despite the fact the box is much bigger than it has to be). Overall, it works and doesn't detract from the game too much.

Overall, I am happy with the bits, I just wish they were bigger.

Rule Book:

This is a fantastic rule book. The rules are very simple and the rule book does a great job of explaining the game. You can literally sit down to play and read the book.

The rule book is full color, cleanly written, organized well, and a delight. Great job!

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is rather easy.

Each player has the same three cards. These cards allow them to do each of one thing: discard and draw new cards, get paid dividends, sell goods on the black market. Knowing when to use your cards could be the key to winning.

In the center of the table is a market with prices for each of the companies and goods. Each player gets 5 cards they can play.

On your turn:

1. You can buy/sell up to 3 transactions. The prices are listed on the market board. You need to evaluate where the market is and where it is likely to end up. This where the majority of your decisions are made.

2. You play 1 of your 5 price cards. These cards will change the market (i.e the prices of companies and goods).

3. Move the markets based on your cards. Each player will have up to three cards moving the market (on his player board). So when you play a card, it will move the market a max of three times.

4. Draw a new price card (so you will have 5 at all times).

The game is that easy. Buy/sell up to 3 times, play a price card to change the market, and draw a card.

The idea of the game is to buy low and sell high. Sometimes you guess right, other times you guess wrong. The idea is to take all the information available and make that good decision. Good luck!

Should I buy this Game?:

Yes, but maybe no. I liked this game and had a ton of fun. It is really just a market game. If you want a clean market game with nothing else, this could be up your alley. It plays in about an hour and is easy to teach. I'm not sure a lot of non-gamers will like it, but you can play this with non-gamers. The game is a little dry, so you will have to guess if this game is for you.

Keeper. But could be a future purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review

So, over a year later, is this still in your collection, or has another market game taken its place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Great review

So, over a year later, is this still in your collection, or has another market game taken its place?

Still here, but unplayed since review. I think it is one I would get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Hab and Gut which this game was based on but still quite different? If so, what are your thoughts on the two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
Have you played Hab and Gut which this game was based on but still quite different? If so, what are your thoughts on the two?

I have not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.