7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement and Encounter Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing Arkham for the first time ever (solo w/ 2 investigators), a few questions:

I'm currently located on the "Historical Society" location. Arkham Encounter Card says that I can have a driver move me to the woods and draw two Arkham encounter cards and discard the card of my choice. The Woods location currently has a "High Priest" monster token and an open gate. I choose to take the ride to the woods. What is the correct play order for when/if I need to evade the monster in the woods, play through the chosen encounter card and enter the gate.

A follow up question to that. On the drive to the woods, there is a monster in the "Uptown" board location. Do I need to evade that one or does the drive to the woods enable me to skip that encounter.

I hope this is an easy one to answer, and only encountered by noobs (like myself) of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimDHunt wrote:
I am playing Arkham for the first time ever (solo w/ 2 investigators), a few questions:

I'm currently located on the "Historical Society" location. Arkham Encounter Card says that I can have a driver move me to the woods and draw two Arkham encounter cards and discard the card of my choice. The Woods location currently has a "High Priest" monster token and an open gate. I choose to take the ride to the woods. What is the correct play order for when/if I need to evade the monster in the woods, play through the chosen encounter card and enter the gate.

A follow up question to that. On the drive to the woods, there is a monster in the "Uptown" board location. Do I need to evade that one or does the drive to the woods enable me to skip that encounter.

I hope this is an easy one to answer, and only encountered by noobs (like myself) of the game.

You only encounter (fight and/or evade) monsters during the Movement Phase. Since you are already in the Arkham Encounters phase at this point, you don't have to worry about the monster now. Finish the rest of the instructions in the encounter card, as usual.

For the follow up question, just teleport your character to the Woods. Encounters that move your character don't follow the regular rules of movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick response, now i can continue getting my "Arkham" handed to me. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You wouldn't draw the encounter card(s) though. While the gate is open, the location you would have had an encounter at temporarily ceases to exist. So going through the gate would be your encounter.

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: If a location card tells an investigator that he may
move to another location and have an encounter there,
what happens if the location has any monsters, clue
tokens, and/or a gate on it?

A: Ignore all monsters and clue tokens at the new location.
Monsters on the board are only dealt with during the
Movement Phase. The investigator has a normal Arkham
Encounters Phase at the new location, following either
the “Gate” or “No Gate” instructions on pages 8-9 of the
rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mazanec
Mexico
Ajijic
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
... just teleport your character to the Woods. Encounters that move your character don't follow the regular rules of movement.

Hopefully not too far OT, but to agree and amplify: 'drive' means 'teleport' with the Deputy's Patrol Wagon, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lawson
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
While the gate is open, the location you would have had an encounter at temporarily ceases to exist

I don't think that it is correct to say that such location ceases to exist. You simply can't use that location's special encounters and can't have normal encounters there. For other game effects the location is valid.
Otherwise you couldn't get to Woods (via that encounter) in the first place, since Woods wouldn't exist.
We had this topic discussed recently when we started a new character after the previous one was devoured. So the question was - if the starting location has a gate opened where should that investigator start? I suppose, since such location exists (not replaced by a gate), new investigator should start there diregarding the gate... He is free to leave such location on his movement phase or stay there and travel to the OW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

That's an interesting interpretation. At my table, the location is gone in its entirety, though you can accept the ride and then go through the Gate. It is one of Richard Launius' House Rules that the Gate only encompasses a small area and an Investigator may still utilize the location's Special Encounter or normal Encounters.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.