Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I came up with what I hope will be a real change of pace to fill the gap between OP 4 which I ran today and OP5 in February. I have some extra prizes from earlier OPs to reward, and wanted to do something really off the wall to get people thiking differently. Anyway, this is what I came up with, and I was looking for constructive feedback or considerations I might have missed:

As the Dominion War rages, it is a time of opportunity for the Pakled. Every abandoned hulk and wreckage field is a treasure trove of salvage for maintaining their ingeniously cobbled-together ships or trading with Ferengi merchants. Using press-ganged crews and substandard ships, Pakled clans compete for this bounty.

SETUP:
75 point constructed fleet using the normal fleet construction rules. No two ships in the fleet can be the same class of vessel. OP Resources will NOT be used for this event. Your fleet may not be fewer than 75 points.

In addition to the their fleet, each player constructs a “Salvage Sideboard” of up to two weapon and two equipment upgrades totaling up to 20 points. These upgrades may not have a printed restriction that absolutely restricts them to a specific type of ship (IE Suicide attack). If they have an additional cost when not deployed to a particular type of ship (IE Defiant Cloaking Device) that additional cost is counted against the 20 points.

Place the planet token in the center of the play area. The players then take turns placing the 4 salvage objective markers. Each marker must be placed within range 2 of the planet token and no closer than range 1 of any other salvage token. Salvage tokens count as obstructions.

Before Each round, each player hands their fleet construction sheet and all cards, ships, and relevant tokens to their opponent. Each player then plays the fleet constructed by their opponent during that round, returning it at the conclusion of the round, after a winner has been determined and fleet points totaled.

Special Rules:
A ship that ends its movement in range 1 of a salvage token may salvage as a free action. That ship lowers its shields, and the player picks up the salvage objective marker from the play area, placing it next to his ship cards. If the ship performing the salvage had a scan token next to it, that player may take one upgrade from his Salvage Sideboard and add it to that ship, ignoring any limits or restrictions.

Objective:
Eliminate the opposing fleet.
Add 10 Squadron points to your final score for each salvage token you have collected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
I ran a similar game with mechwarrior and called it junkyard wars.

Was a lot of fun.

Gets some of the less used pieces into the game.

Why 75 points?

Might just get rid of all faction restrictions completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Ghostrunner wrote:
I ran a similar game with mechwarrior and called it junkyard wars.

Was a lot of fun.

Gets some of the less used pieces into the game.

Why 75 points?

Might just get rid of all faction restrictions completely.

I wanted to have enough points to play around, but I didn't want to bog things down too much since the format involves playing a completely unfamiliar fleet each round.

Part of the metagame I'm invisioning is using faction/ship restrictions to build your fleet as inneficiently as possible for your opponent. I am envisioning a ~40 point Praetus that gains literally nothing from the extra points, for a start...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Plays like a Solaris 7 match in Battletech that we played a month ago. Everyone's non-melee weapons were disabled until you stepped on an active platform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's stopping me from giving my opponent a 75-point build with no ships that can perform a scan action? They would never be able to use the sideboard? Unless I missed something there or it was intentional that those ships are potentially powerful enough?

Tribbles. Must have tribbles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That sounds pretty fun. Where are you at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
stpitner wrote:
What's stopping me from giving my opponent a 75-point build with no ships that can perform a scan action? They would never be able to use the sideboard? Unless I missed something there or it was intentional that those ships are potentially powerful enough?

You got it on the nose. If someone tries to game that part, it means they're handing their opponent the big-primary klingon ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
DonMegel wrote:

Madison, WI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
DonMegel wrote:

Madison, WI

Just barley outside my driving range.

What is to stop someone from filling up on Science Ships that have pitiful attack values?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why is it maximum and minimum required 75 points? it seems weird to have to fit that number so exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
DonMegel wrote:
What is to stop someone from filling up on Science Ships that have pitiful attack values?

Well, that's sort of the point, though there is a prohibition on doubling up on ships.

delta_angelfire wrote:
why is it maximum and minimum required 75 points? it seems weird to have to fit that number so exactly.

The point is you can't just throw one RSV at your opponent and say that's the entire fleet, you have to spend the points (though you can squander them, of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.