Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joachim Breitner
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a browser version of Sim Serim, mostly as an experiment in Browser programming: http://sumserum.nomeata.de/. It allows local (two player) and remote play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Roth
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, thank you. cool

The one feature I find missing is limiting players' stones to 24, as in the boardgame.
With unlimited stone supply it plays rather differently (unless you count the stones used and limit yourself voluntarily).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Breitner
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I programmed it from the rules I remembered from having the game quickly explained to me in the shop when I bought the game to give it away as a gift. I hope that’s a valid excuse.

Filed an issue at https://github.com/nomeata/sumserum/issues/1 to remember this; I might not get around to fixing it now.

I actually never properly played my browser version myself; I’m glad that someone did. Did it work well and as expected? Was the interface intuitive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Roth
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played it "hot seat", and that seems to work just fine.

Other than the issue I mentioned it looks perfect to me (and the interface is indeed intuitive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Breitner
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, fixed it now, and beefed up the visual appearance (a bit; I’m not a graphic designer, as you can tell).

Let me know if you find further bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

fantastic!

One proposal.
If there is only one option to choose from (if the stones of the first player will not reach the end of the line), let the player use SPACE to accept this option (this would be nice, because both players could also use their thumbs for easy input).

It might even be a good idea to let the second player in a turn to use SPACE if there is no option to choose. This would give him a feeling of control and both players could see how the turn (and their plans) developed.

Additionally using the mouse (when there are alternatives) will be promoted to a "privilege" ("Give me the mouse - I am now in control of the game").

Again: Fantastic!

Best Regards
Heinrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Breitner
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Heinrich,

great, I’m happy to hear that you like it. After all, copying a game in such a way could easily mean stepping on someone’s toes.

You suggestion makes sense, at least when playing hotseat. I’ve opened an issue about it at https://github.com/nomeata/sumserum/issues/2 and will implement it when I find the time.

I’m not sure how well it would be for online play. Who get’s to be press space then? Only the player whose turn it is? That would be consistent, but probably delay the game too much. Either player? Then it’s just wildly jumping around for the other player. Every player for himself? That would make most sense, I believe.

Grüße,
Joachim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.