Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry too much about recreating a Hockey specific game. Sports seem like a pretty open theme to work with. Just make your mechanics unique and you'll be all set. Just don't count on ever getting licensing rights to big teams.

My main question is how is the game actually physically setup? Are there miniatures on a grid/segmented board, is it more abstract with a card based system.

One thing that would be fun and unique is a worker placement system where each action space provides different actions for Offense and Defense. And different workers/players could take better actions or maybe take an action another player already played.

Right now it seems pretty bare bones but sounds like you are on the right track.

If you want to return the favor and give me some input on my game that would be much appreciated.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1091070/wip-surdieval

cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a back-burnered ice hockey game called "Last Change." Never did playtest, but it had the following core elements:

- The primary mechanism of the game is substitutions, probably executed like Dominion's deck cycling. Basically, you're the coach.

- The longer a player is in-play, the worse their stats become. Here's the fatigue, and the reason for substitutions.

- It's not a sim, and there are no tactical decisions to be made. If there is a board, it's zero-sum, and maybe has 3-5 spaces to denote which side is putting on the pressure.

- Events occur when there are large statistical mismatches between on-ice teams, preferably for at least one opponent turn. Like a breakaway occurs when my team's offense is at least 20 pts higher than yours, or a penalty when our PIM's are 10 points higher. Stuff like that.

My primary objective was to keep it really simple. I even considered making the game "simulate" overtime only - first to score wins.

I recommend making sure that your GAME works well, and then start incorporating the theme...but the deck-cycling mechanic could represent hockey line-cycling very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Anderson
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you are on your way to something fun. I agree with the other comment that you should not get too bogged down in recreating actual hockey. But, there is always a but, you need two goalies. So, either go 20 man roster with 2 goalies and they can fill the other 18 as they wish (typically an NHL teams will field 4 of each forward position and 6 total defense) but technically they are allowed up to 23 people on the roster for a game.

I feel that switching goalies would be a great mechanic in the game.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.