Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Study_in_Emerald [+] [View All]
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Can someone help me out with the initial assassination card, the one each player gets in his starting deck? Is that considered the equivalent of a Hired Assassin card? Or is it an Agent card used by our Main Agents?

I might have missed it, but I can't find where this is explained. On one hand, it seems like the equivalent of a Hired Assassin card since it's "one use only". But on the other hand, it clearly features your Main Agent's name.

If someone can answer this for me, it will answer a whole slew of other questions about how to use the card. For instance, does my Main Agent need to be present with the target of the assassination? Does my Main Agent draw a sanity token? And if it's a madness token, and I'm a Restorationist, isn't the game therefore over? I'm assuming the answer to all of the above is no and that it's the equivalent of a hired assassin card, but I'd love some confirmation about this.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
GdaƄsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card in question is exacly the same as a Hired Assassin card, this has been confirmed by Martin somewhere in these forums. So you can use it with any agent. You can also see that your main agant can naver perform assassination himself, even in vampire form. He can be used as the agent necessery to use a hired assassin though. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks, Sebastian. That's just as I thought! But I'm surprised it's not addressed in the rules.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just like a Hired Assassin card. The fact that it has your Main Agent's name on it is just to indicate that it's a starting card for each deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also has a good number of bombs on it (2 or possibly 3? I don't have the game with me), so you need to decide whether to use it as a one-off action for a kill at the cost of losing those bombs from your deck forever, or keep it in your deck to support other assassinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
2 bombs. I'm fond of getting rid of it as quickly as possible, otherwise it ends up stuck in my hand while I wait for enough bombs/assassin agents to use it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Please treat as a hired assassin.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Tiago
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hi,

The rules say that the main agent can carry out assassinations under the assassination card description (I assume using a hired assassin card). Is this not accurate?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dmitri, unless you're thinking of a different passage, the rules don't say what you're claiming. Here's the relevant bit on page 11 about using your main agent in an assassination attempt:

"If you use a Hired Assassin card then you can carry out the action in any city in which you have at least one agent in (including your Main Agent)."

Sic, by the way.

Basically, your Main Agent will never be the perpetrator of an assassination, although he can definitely support an assassination with a hired assassination card, or add his bomb to an assassination attempt.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Tiago
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hi Tom,

The rule states:

"If you use a Hired Assassin card then you can carry out the action in any city in which you have at least one agent in (including your Main Agent)."

When I read the rule I interpreted it differently because of the "including your main agent part". The main agent is an agent, hence, why would that clarification be included if it is not to indicate that you can use the hired assassin card with your main agent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dmitri, I think we're agreeing, which is why we're each citing the same rule. :) Your main agent can absolutely be used as the basis for playing a hired assassin card. I think the confusion is coming from terminology outside the game's rules (i.e. you mentioned the main agent can "carry out" an assassination).

My point -- and the reason I started this thread -- is that the game is a bit fuzzy about whether your main agent can ever be the perpetrator of an assassination, because the starting assassination card doesn't specify that it works like a hired assassin card. Since Martin Wallace has confirmed that it does, everything else falls into place.

Namely, you can't lose your main agent when you draw a madness token, and you don't need him or her (hi Agent Thursday!) present when you play your initial assassination card.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Tiago
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
I guess where I am confused is on the question of if a main agent can carry out an assassination (i.e. only main agent participating in the assassination using a hired assassin card). The rules seem to imply that you can do this (rule mentioned above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Of course he can! The rules clearly state as much!

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Tiago
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Thanks for helping me clear my doubt! I now just have to get it to the table again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else in another thread mentioned to think of the hired assassin being guided or assisted by the agent, in the city. Helped me to sink that rule home.

So, their presence is required, but they don't do the actual deed, so don't suffer the consequences (madness).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.