War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestions for next on-line version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some time off work at the moment, so will do some more work on the on-line client. Please post any suggestions you may have where you think things can be improved or new functions added. Please bear in mind that the client does not enforce rules (although I do add hints for some situations).

In-progress:
Flash lesser minion dice (LOME version) when they should have been removed.
Challenge mode - You can load any replay file and the action rolls will be taken from that file instead of being rolled randomly (until the file is exhausted)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Brakmann
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know if you're already aware of this (and strictly speaking its off-topic), but when you start a new game in '2nd edition with treebeard' mode, the dwarves of Erebor are missing their second elite unit. I'm using the Elrond Edition of the Client.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darazel wrote:
I do not know if you're already aware of this (and strictly speaking its off-topic), but when you start a new game in '2nd edition with treebeard' mode, the dwarves of Erebor are missing their second elite unit. I'm using the Elrond Edition of the Client.

Great! Forgot that one.

Fixed in next release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to draw and move cards without both players viewing their hands - this is a wish from the German forum, to be able to do Play-by-Email games again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel E.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a function that leaves one eye in the hunt box, if the fellowship moved on the previous round? Or does that count as a rule enforcement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
We already have the Fellowship figure "shadow" that remains in the hunt box when the ringbearers moved last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel E.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, indeed! Never noticed that before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaqenHghar wrote:
Or does that count as a rule enforcement?

Yes, I think it does. That's what the transparent FSP icon is for in the hunt box, although I don't think its 100% accurate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this isn't too much of a pain, but it would be great if the prefs file or some other means were available to customize keyboard shortcuts. Many of the existing ones don't work on a Mac and for whatever reason shift-esc doesn't work on my Dell. If this is a bridge too far so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A siege indicator that appears in a region when there are army units in both the region and the corresponding stronghold box. Maybe the region gets a dark mask. The purpose is to enhance the visibility of sieges on the map and ensure a player doesn't forget about a long-running siege away from the main action. In the physical game I often use a token or figure for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the companions could flash if no guide is chosen. Or the fsp ring automatically goes to 0 if the fsp is revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixtoedcat wrote:
Maybe the companions could flash if no guide is chosen. Or the fsp ring automatically goes to 0 if the fsp is revealed.

The counter does reset to 0 in the current version when you flip the FSP to reveal them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
The counter does reset to 0 in the current version when you flip the FSP to reveal them.

I guess it does, lol Good job!! and thanks for all the hard work done on the client.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
Being able to draw and move cards without both players viewing their hands - this is a wish from the German forum, to be able to do Play-by-Email games again.

Done in next release (subject to test).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Marks
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
Powered by hobbits
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What language have you used to write it? I know its a big ask but have you any plans for a mac release?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is written in Java and works on Macs (some minor things do not work, like shortcut keys apparently).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
A siege indicator that appears in a region when there are army units in both the region and the corresponding stronghold box. Maybe the region gets a dark mask. The purpose is to enhance the visibility of sieges on the map and ensure a player doesn't forget about a long-running siege away from the main action. In the physical game I often use a token or figure for this.

Done for the next release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of Lords of Middle-earth naming convention points:

The naming of the Minions are slightly odd. Both versions of the Witch-king are just called "The Witch-King", which would be fine, except that the Mouth of Sauron has 2 different names in the client:
The "Mouth of Sauron, Lieutenant of Barad-dûr" is just called -> "Mouth of Sauron", but "Mouth of Sauron, Black Numenorean" is called -> "Mouth of Sauron, Black Numenorean"
For consistency, shouldn't they all get full billing?? (currently only the Black Numenorean gets a nice title!):
- The Witch-king, The Black Captain
- The Witch-king, Chief of Ringwraiths
- Mouth of Sauron, Black Numenorean
- Mouth of Sauron, Lieutenant of Barad-dûr

Also, I'd prefer it if Vilya, Nenya, Narya are referenced to their owners. It's a small point I know, but I get Vilya and Nenya mixed up sometimes, so I'd prefer to see them named as follows in the client:
- Vilya (Elrond)
- Nenya (Galadriel)
- Narya (Gandalf)

Map Names:

I thought it might be useful for new players to add the status of a region to a regions name. e.g.
Westemnet -> Westemnet (Settlement Town) (Rafamir pointed out that this should be "Town")
North Rhun -> North Rhun (Settlement Town)
Pelargir -> Pelargir (City)
Fords of Isen -> Fords of Isen (Fortification)
Other regions would of course stay the same, so Eastemnet or Tower Hills would just stay as they are etc.
A good example of why this is useful in general is that if you take North Rhun say, it is impossible to see the Settlement Town icon if troops are on that region and the Fords of Isen fortification icon is quite hidden. Not a problem for you or I, but new players might not completely realise that North Rhun is a Settlement Town that they can muster at etc.
Think that there is no need to do it for Strongholds though, as their huge square is so obvious and could not possibly be missed in the way that North Rhun could so there's no real need to postfix Lorien, Helm's Deep, Barad-dur etc "(Stronghold)".

Control Markers:

If you put a control marker over Westemnet, it perfectly fits the diamond. Same for Lamedon, Lossarnach and various other locations.
However, many of these are nowhere near correct (I think this is due to the client using the first edition map for a long time for which regions had quite different shapes?). Some good examples of bad locations are Dol Amroth & Lorien (the control marker hides behind the troops there so are invisible), Near Harad (that one is really interestingly very far off the mark, even though Far Harad is spot on). I remember you showed me that army and control marker positions change as the client UI is zoomed in and out, but in general, taking say Westemnet or The Shire, the control marker is always correctly positioned over the diamond. Fiddly point, but would be nice if these could all be correctly aligned so that it's easier to see them during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realised that the only regular task that we need to do in every game that I have to go to the menus for now are when I change a die result (when using Will of the West or Elven Rings etc).
I see that Alt- or Ctrl-Shift- are not used much in the UI, so I want to propose the following:

Select a single die, then use one of the following options to change it's face (Alt- or Ctrl-Shift- are both possible options to avoid existing uses of Ctrl- in the client)
Alt-C change selected die to Character (Ctrl-C is not currently used in UI)
Alt-P change selected die to Palantir (Ctrl-P is not currently used)
Alt-H change selected die to Army/Muster (Ctrl-H is used currently, but Alt-H is not)
Alt-A change selected die to Army (Ctrl-A is not currently used)
Alt-M change selected die to Muster (Ctrl-M is used, but Alt-M is not)
Alt-E change selected die to Eye (Ctrl-E is currently used, but Alt-E is not)
Alt-W change selected die to Will of the West (the Galadriel card can change a die to a Will of the West, so for completeness this would then allow all 7 possible die results would be covered).

These would be really useful and intuitive to have as it comes up regularly in every game. The above would be really useful though the below would be nice-to-have.

Also, ideally this should be extended to the Balrog, Gothmog, Narya, Nenya, Vilya dice whose faces can be altered by various effects in LoMe (currently it is impossible to alter these die in the client!). They only have a few other results that need to be covered:

Alt-U change selected die to "Use Balrog" result (Balrog die only)
Alt-D change selected die to "Draw Card" result (all Minion dice)
Gothmog is a slight problem as it has both A and A* faces so possibly Alt-A for Gothmog could toggle between A and A*.

Possible further options:
Place / remove a FP control marker, select Region, then Ctrl-1
Place / remove a SP control marker, select Region, then Ctrl-2

(Edit: Rafamir pointed out that Ctrl-1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are all currently in use in the client, so possible some other key combos could be used)

Another nice option along these lines could be to move an Army from a Stronghold Region to it's Stronghold box (in fact, it would be best to do a swap in case something is in the other box), so select Minas Tirith say, then press Ctrl-3 and that just swaps the contents of the correct Stronghold box on the left with the selected Region on the map!

For LoMe, it would also be nice to select/flip the Elven Rings over to the Shadow, and since Ctrl-4/5/6 are not used (they are currently used, some other key combo's would have to do), why not add those (they are already options under the FP menu but just don't have shortcuts).
Ctrl-4 Use Vilya
Ctrl-5 Use Nenya
Ctrl-6 Use Narya

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit more complex I know, but the Java new game menu is a little fiddly, so it would be great to have all the great games presented as a simple on-screen menu (not as fancy as Council of Elrond is, just a simple list). What I mean is, instead of Ctrl-N opening a new instance of 2nd Edition base game, it could instead present the following menu:

1 - 2nd Edition
2 - 2nd Edition, Lords of Middle-earth (Expansion)
3 - 1st Edition
4 - 1st Edition, Battles of the Third Age (Expansion)

1 - 2nd Edition -> (pressing 1 on the keyboard would then open this sub-menu):
=====
1 - 2nd Edition without Treebeard
2 - 2nd Edition with Treebeard
3 - Breaking of the Fellowship

2 - 2nd Edition, Lords of Middle-earth (Expansion) -> (pressing 2 on the keyboard would then open this sub-menu):
=====
1 - without Treebeard
2 - with Treebeard

3 - 1st Edition -> (pressing 3 on the keyboard would then open this sub-menu):
=====
1 - 1st Edition
2 - 1st Edition, Breaking of the Fellowship
3 - 1st Edition, Breaking of the Fellowship with Expansion

4 - 1st Edition, Battles of the Third Age (Expansion) -> (pressing 4 on the keyboard would then open this sub-menu):
=====
1 - 1st Edition, Battles of the Third Age, Twilight of the Third Age
2 - 1st Edition, Battles of the Third Age, The Battle for Gondor
3 - 1st Edition, Battles of the Third Age, The Battle for Rohan

A quick drill-down by a couple of key presses to start any variant would then be quite simple (Ctrl-N, then 1, then 1 to start base 2nd Edition, or Ctrl-N, then 2, then 2 to start LoMe with Treebeard etc).

An option to start a solo game could be good also i.e. press a menu option and it unlocks and views both decks immediately without having to create/input any passwords etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that I've often wanted to see is a quick overview of current unit deployment on the View > Statistics page; would be great to have that information quickly visable for all factions both free and shadow. e.g. A table as follows, to see at a glance what is available and what is in the Force Pool (and particularly also what is in Casualties for FP from a single glance for all FP and SP troops to be able to quickly work out as SP, what the FP could bring against you) from a single overview covering FP and SP (for regular troops and leaders only, not for Companions and Minions). I've filled in the starting condition of such a table for all factions in a base 2nd Ed game, and this is of course tracked in the client at all times anyway (Edit: the formatting in the below gets messed up as BGG ignores multiple spaces, but I've uploaded a monospaced font image to see how this would look on a View > Statistics page - nice to see that overview of what is left in the pool for both players):

Deployed Force Pool Casualties
Elves 3/6/4 2/4/0 0/0/0
Gondor 9/1/1 6/4/3 0/0/0
Rohan 4/1/1 6/4/3 0/0/0
The North 4/1/1 6/4/3 0/0/0
Dwarves 3/2/1 2/3/3 0/0/0

Sauron 28/2/4 8/4/4 n.a.
Saruman 6/1/0 6/5/0
S&E 14/3/0 10/3/0 n.a.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holding down the ALT key while deploying troops to keep focus with the Force Pool?

e.g. Say I need to deploy A New Power is Rising to Saruman. Instead of putting the troops to a temporary location and then deploying, I simply open up the Force Pool, and then while holding down ALT and deploy 2 troops to North Dunland, the act of holding down ALT stops the focus moving to North Dunland, and so I can then select 2 more troops and move them to South Dunland, and 2 Isengard Elites to go to Orthanc without fiddling about. Same for various muster cards in the game, or any standard muster requiring to put 1 troop in each of 2 locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to have a fullscreen option (to maximise the ''boardgaming experience'', including getting rid of the header leaving only the menu's, map and sidepanel to help maximise the size of the map on smaller screens)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Roy, that's quite a Christmas list!

roysubs wrote:
I thought it might be useful for new players to add the status of a region to a regions name. e.g.
Westemnet -> Westemnet (Settlement)

To use the client you are expected to own the game, so we should be able to assume a degree of knowledge (or access to an actual board) for those who play online. In any case, Settlement covers all types - Westemnet is a Town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roysubs wrote:
Also, ideally this should be extended to the Balrog, Gothmog, Narya, Nenya, Vilya dice whose faces can be altered by various effects in LoMe (currently it is impossible to alter these die in the client!).

If I'm not mistaken, The Lore of the Elven Rings is the only game effect that allows one to change a Lesser Minion die, and I don't believe one can change a Keeper die at all.

Ctrl-1 thru 5 roll combat dice, so those would not be available for the purposes you suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.