Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I plan on getting Imperial with Xmas money.
Which version should I get?

Currently I could buy:

1)the original Imperial game.

2)the original game with 2030 expansion.

3) imperial 2030

Which is best?, should I just buy the new game 2030?, or the original with 2030 expansion?.

Any help deciding from players who own/ have played either would be appreciated

(Posted on imperial 2030 forum also)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matter of taste -- with the most recent version, they're essentially the same game on two different maps, AFAIK. Price out the upgrade kit vs. the cost of buying Imp2030 on its own -- for us downtrodden Yanks, the shipping makes it not such a good deal. But there's certainly room in one box for both games.

My advice: pick one, play the hell out of it, then get the other if the first one starts to feel too scripted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As the game ratings and previous iterations of this same question discuss, Imperial is the tighter, sharper, more aggressive and rougher game, and many prefer it for that. Imperial 2930 is more open but also less dynamic (in terms of player positions), richer (more money in the game, which greatly reduces the importance of individual decisions), and generally looser/sloppier game. Both are greatly improved by playing without the Investor Card and without the Swiss Bank (see the many previous discussions for analysis and details on why).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Menzel
United States
Black Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have no preference based on the theme (pre WW1 vs the near future) or tone of the game (tight and mean vs somewhat less tight and somewhat less mean), just get Imperial. This leaves your options the most open, since you can buy the 2030 conversion kit if you have Imperial, but there's no Imperial conversion kit for 2030.

And unless you can get a really good deal on the conversion kit, I would wait to get it until you're sure you want it. Imperial is a deep game, and rewards many, many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for replies.
Can get conversion kit bundled in for only £8 more than base game, so seems worth doing this way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Menzel
United States
Black Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For that price that's what I would do as well. Enjoy the game(s)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
or the original with 2030 expansion?.

Where can this expansion be found? I've been searching for it around BGG and can't seem to find any trace of it.

(And have you had a chance to try the game yet?)

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.