Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I got this game recently and LOVE it!! It will likely be in my top 5 games of all time.

However, my English rulebook seemed pretty bad, and I am wondering if I have an earlier version or if it's the same for everyone?

Many phrases make no sense, some words are just missing, some have half the word missing, and one of the bosses has his explanation of what he does in Italian only... I had to read the PDF rulebook on here to find out what he actually did.

The fact that the PDF English rulebook here on BGG seems much improved, suggests that perhaps I got an older or earlier version? I just wanted to check.

Thanks.

PS: Incredible game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine had the same glitches - apart from the Italian rule for the boss (corrected by the pdf) all the other probs were cosmetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Overall I think the English rulebook is pretty poor regardless. To be fair, the terminology taken from Dante's Inferno don't help (although it is cool).

There are also lots of ambiguous wordings, especially when it comes to specifying who specifically can use/do something.

A flow chart or cheat-sheet on the different setups and phases would be fantastic too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, too many companies slam stuff out the door without any real proofing and only when customers start spotting the goofs does anyone get around to fixing it.

Having the PDF is great, but when I pay money for a game, I want a finished copy of the rules in the box--and not something I have to print out from my home computer.

This will only get better if we hold them accountable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hear you.. in this rare instance i would have chosen this awesome game plus the shoddy rulebook instead of waiting. It's THAT good.... but yes, it is not ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Wolfe
United States
living in Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problems with the English version are being corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious if this is why the new holdup for stock...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kind of sad that otherwise so good game has those issues with the english rule book. Very annoying to read the updated rules via iPad. I think they should send updated printed version who ever has bought this game for free.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These posts are helpful. I may wait now for a 2nd printing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1st printing is perfectly playable. Just dowload the updated manual and enjoy the game. I wouldn't wait. This is so good game.
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agreed, the game is too good to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, it shouldn't be too hard to wait as it appears to be sold out everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It's a good thing they updated the PDF manual on their site, but it's still wrong that the printed manual has so many issues. Part of the cost of the game includes the correctly printed manual. What good is the physical manual if I have to check the rules on my tablet everytime something comes up?

I still like the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Thulhu
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This worries me because my gaming group is very resistant to games with poor translations. It made learning Beer and Vikings extremely painful. I really want this game, it looks amazing. But I'm wondering if I should wait for the next printing unless they've decided not to update the rulebook for it (which would be kind of disappointing with some of the obvious flaws it looks like are pointed out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Pun Fiend wrote:
This worries me because my gaming group is very resistant to games with poor translations. It made learning Beer and Vikings extremely painful. I really want this game, it looks amazing. But I'm wondering if I should wait for the next printing unless they've decided not to update the rulebook for it (which would be kind of disappointing with some of the obvious flaws it looks like are pointed out).

If you really want to try the game (and I suggest you do), the online rulebook is complete, you can print it out or keep it on your tablet, iphone, etc.

It all depends on what kind of collector are you: if you want a "perfect" rulebook, wait for the next printing. If you just want to play, buy the game and download the official updated book from the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.