Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: AAR Engagement Scenarios 2 and 3

Continuing on with my learning scenarios of this big game....Please note that this initial scenarios are small and meant to be played in 15 minutes or so. It takes me 15 minutes to set them up and then more time to read the rules as I go along. It is a good experience and a good way to learn the game and various subsystems. Also, with 2400 counters, organization is important and I’m figuring out how to organize my counters. I have 5-6 counter trays to help me with that.

Engagement Scenario 2 - Savo Island
The Japanese Cruiser Task Force easily found and destroyed the American AA1 and went unscathed. In the 1st naval combat round the US task force with the Kent, Atlanta, Perth and Benson provided no match for the Japanese CA and CL. No real damage done to either side. In the 2nd naval combat phase, all 4 Japanese ships ganged up on the AA and were able to put enough hits on to sink it by the 3rd battle phase. I wasn't sure at first if all the ships can attack the same target but it looks like they can (vs having to spread out their attacks). In this scenario, the Japanese should be able to sink the AA and maybe even get another ship or two in damage

Engagement Scenario 3 - First Invasion of Wake Island
This one seems impossible for the Japanese! In the air strikes preceding the battle cycle, the Japanese 2E was found each time and while CAP air combat resulted in no losses for either side the 2E took a step loss in the 2nd Air strike. None of the Japanese air strikes found their target. We were attempting to destroy the fortifications at Wake.

Day was determined to be Day (PM). After moving one hex the day turned to Dusk

Then, in the air strike after Naval combat the CAP destroyed the final step of Japanese air.

The 3 Japanese ships bombarded the US Marines but all missed their target so the US marines were not "broken". The Invasion was sure to be a disaster for the Japanese - they had their Troop Quality of 7 halved to 4 so the combat took place on Column 7. A 2 was rolled resulting in a 1:0 result and the only Japanese marine step was destroyed. Wake would hold out for a different day while the Japanese suffered their worst results of the war.

The Engagement scenarios are very good for learning. I plan to do Scenarios 4 and 5 before setting up to do the playthrough example in the Rule book with actual units on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the Wake scenario is supposed to be impossible for the Japanese. Historically, the Japanese tried to invade Wake Island on the cheap and got beat. They came back with more forces two weeks later and took the island. But then most of their "economy of force" operations in the months after Pearl Harbor succeeded.

The Engagement scenarios are mainly training exercises, but the Battle scenarios are good games. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the AAR. I'm assuming this game can be used to fight the entire campaign and you are just (wisely) playing through some of the scenarios here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim - this game has about 15 or more playable scenarios of battles and operations. There is also a campaign game. I am not sure if I will ever play the campaign game because it is probably 100+ hours. However, I think of it as 15 games in one box.

As an example, I am playing "Coral Sea" Battle Scenario now. This scenario uses about 70 unit and Force/Task Force counters plus some other hit and admin counters. That is a pretty low density game. But there is a lot of gaming here.

We'll see. So far, I am really enjoying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Pete, Yes what you are doing is the way to tackle this most excellent sim. Kind of moving thro the PW gears. After a few goes at Coral Sea its worth trying the Guadalcanal scenario. with limited Ops Points you suddenly realise the meaning of terms like 'mission objective'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Geryk
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pjmcnamara wrote:
Subject: AAR Engagement Scenarios 2 and 3
Engagement Scenario 3 - First Invasion of Wake Island
This one seems impossible for the Japanese! In the air strikes preceding the battle cycle, the Japanese 2E was found each time and while CAP air combat resulted in no losses for either side the 2E took a step loss in the 2nd Air strike. None of the Japanese air strikes found their target. We were attempting to destroy the fortifications at Wake.

Day was determined to be Day (PM). After moving one hex the day turned to Dusk

Then, in the air strike after Naval combat the CAP destroyed the final step of Japanese air.

The 3 Japanese ships bombarded the US Marines but all missed their target so the US marines were not "broken". The Invasion was sure to be a disaster for the Japanese - they had their Troop Quality of 7 halved to 4 so the combat took place on Column 7. A 2 was rolled resulting in a 1:0 result and the only Japanese marine step was destroyed. Wake would hold out for a different day while the Japanese suffered their worst results of the war.

Two things: I don’t think the Japanese can disembark (invade) if the Wake fortification is not destroyed as the fort counts as a naval unit in the hex.

Also, the day cannot turn to night during the battle cycle - this occurs at the end of each battle cycle only and the scenario has one battle cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.