4 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Epic Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rosiel X
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In my gamegroup, we were thinking that that pace of the game, especially after the second expansion, moves too fast. We did not like the fact that in order to win, you basically have to skip "developing" your cities, as in almost all the cases all you need to do is build a very limited number of building/wonders and most of the buildings/techs never see actions. In our last 4 normal games none of us ever made it to a level 4 tech and level 3 techs were always limited to one or 2.

Thus I decided to extend the rules and create the EPIC variant as I like to call it. With this variant, the game takes a good 8-10 hours to complete. It takes lots of turns and players will research most of the techs in the game and actually make use of them. We've played this variant twice so far and really enjoyed it, to the the point that we don't think we will play the normal game again, unless we are short of time and cannot split the gaming session.

I will list all of the rule changes here:

Relating the Map:
- The map had to be bigger. If playing 4 players, change it to 5x5. My game group consists of 3 players. My game groups has 3 players. Our map setup is quite complex to draw, but if anyone shows interest, I will. Whatever You need to make sure that each player has tiles on 2 sides of his starting tile and that 12 squares intermediate between the starting tile of each player.

Relating Culture:
- Steps on the culture board are divided into small and big steps. Small steps are the ones that grant a culture event card and big steps are the ones that grant a great person and the final "win the game" step.
- Each of the small step tile on the board, is actually 3 small steps. To simulate that on the gaming board, when a player moves his culture character token on such a tile we put a wound marker on top of it. Next time he wishes moves up a step if his wound tokens are 2 or less, he adds one wound token. If he reaches 2 wound tokens, next time he moves normally to the next tile.
- The cost for moving a small step is increased to 6 culture on ancient era, 9 culture on medieval era and 12 culture on modern era. Trade costs are unchanged.
- The cost for moving a big step is 3 times the cost of a small step, i.e: 18c for ancient era, 27c/9t for medieval era and 36c/18t for modern era.
- Any special abilities that allow you to move a step or skip steps cannot be used to skip or move to a big step.

Relating Economics:
- Coins are separated into Effective Coins and Actual Coins.
- Your coin dial in your civilization sheet indicates your effective coins. All techs and abilities that give you bonuses depending on your number of coins, use your effective coins.
- All coins that you get from technologies, find on the map, or printed on cards are actual coins. You only get 1 effective for every 2 actual coins. This basically means that you would need double the number of coins as before to win the game.
- Investments still require only 1 actual coin token.

Relating city destruction & capture:
- City states cannot be destroyed (for culture or anything else). They stay in the game till the end.
- Cities cannot be destroyed either. When a fight is won against a city in addition to loot, the attacker has 2 options: Either puppet it or pillage it. The same is true for capitals.
- When pillaging a city, up to a total of two buildings, wonders and/or great persons are destroyed. The attacker's armies end their movement either on top of one the destroyed squares or on the square they attacked from.
- When puppeting a city , the city is now controlled by the winner. The winner has to pay an upkeep of 10 trade for each puppetted city in the game. This is calculated during the trade phase. Simply gather 10 less trade for each of your puppet cities. If that would bring your trade to less than 1, one of them is randomly returned to its original owner immediately and you cannot attack it during this turn. If your trade is still less than 0, repeat that process till you have no puppet cities remaining. Wonders in that city are in effect stolen (along with their cards). Great persons are instead destroyed.
- A player wins by military victory if has puppetted all cities of one ongoing civilization and is in control of all of his own cities.
- A player with no cities/figures under his control can remain in the game or abandon it as he sees fit.
- City control can be traded during the trade phase.
- If the original owner of a city attacks to get his city back, the defender's battle hand size is reduced by 3 and the attacker gets a +10 combat bonus for a normal city, +20 for a capital.
- Nukes instead of destroying the city, destroy all its buildings, wonders and great persons of the city (and all figures in the outskirts as normal).

Relating city management:
- Players cannot build a second city right from the start. Irrigation unlocks both the second and the third city. Furthermore in order to build the third city, the player must have discovered at least 1 level 3 tech.
- City outskirts must have a gap of 2 squares (not counting diagonals) between each other. This means that cities will be spread more over the map.
- A player can build up to 2 wonders and start building in his capital, provided they are different.
- All wonders are used in the game. Do not pick only 4 of each era. Still only open 4 of the the ancient ones to start with. But put the rest in the stack. If all players have learned at least one level 3 tech, all unbuilt ancient wonders are discarded. If all players have learned at least one level 4 tech, all unbuilt medieval wonders are discarded.

Relating Technologies:
- The techonlogy pyramid now has 8 levels (instead of 5).
- Pyramid Level 1 (the lower level) is for level 1 techs.
- Pyramid level 2 is for level 1 and level 2 techs.
- Pyramid level 3 if for level 2 techs.
- Pyramid levels 4 & 5 are for level 3 techs.
- Pyramid levels 6 & 7 are for level 4 techs.
- Pyramid level 8 is for the level 5 tech that wins the game.
- In order to move the the second level of the pyramid you must have discovered at least 7 level 1 techs.

Relating civs:
- Due to the slow progress, some civs have a too big of an advantage. We decided not to play with any civ that starts with a level 2/3 tech and we banned the Zulu and the Mongols. Furthermore the Zulu conflict with the city states and the Mongols are to weak for this as starting a war takes longer due to the increased distances.
- In the second game one of the players wanted to play with the Egyptians so we houseruled the Egyptians to start with masonry, and extended their ability to either build a building without spending hammers or gain a double production marker in one of their cities for free (w/o spending an action). We were happy with the result.
- We've talked about houseruling the Greeks to start with Philosophy instead of Democracy, but give them Democracy as a starting government. If they revert out of it however they cannot go back till that government becomes available to them normally. We have not tried this out though yet.
- Similarly we are thinking of making changes to all the civs we've decided to ban in order to make them [playable at some point.

There is a chance that I have forgotten to write down some of the rule adaptations... they are many

In our first game we had a tie on a science victory on 2 players, One of them was close to also getting an economy victory. On the second game, a player won by war but it was very close with on other winning by culture. We noticed that modern wonders make a huge impact

Anyway... if anybody bothers reading/playing with them, pass me a comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is the first time i've ever heard of anyone wanting to make Civ last LONGER!

I totally agree, that the building of Cities and researching of Techs and exploration of the Map is a huge part of the enjoyment of the PC game, and having a way to experience that with the board game is an excellent idea.

Kudos to you and your group for all the work on this variant.
We may try some of these ideas out next time we play.

Great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we had a much simpler epic variant...
use the 5 player board, and you have to get all 4 victory conditions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
we had a much simpler epic variant...
use the 5 player board, and you have to get all 4 victory conditions

That sounds like a really good idea. How did you handle the situation where a player gets 15 gold then loses some. And what happens to a player who loses his capital before the game is over?

The way I might do it, is to say you can't attack a capital city unless you have Space Flight, at least 15 gold coins, and are at the end of the culture track. This ends the game with an epic battle. Is this how you play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.