Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone confirm if this is correct:

Anytime you hide or assassinate Royalty, you must draw a sanity counter (regardless of whether it's an Agent card or a Hired Assassin card). If it's result is 'sane,' discard it. If it's 'mad' and your main agent didn't carry out the assassination/hiding you the agent with it's associated card are removed from the game (assuming it's not Sherlock, Moriarty, or a Vampire) and you keep the mad token in front of you. If it's 'mad' and your main agent performed the assassination/hiding, you simply put the mad token in front of you.

I don't need clarification of what happens when you have 3 mad tokens in front of you or what happens if the token supply runs out.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds about right to me. goo

Except we just held onto the Sane tokens as it was easier than defining a new pile somewhere and I hate just tossing things back into the box as then I miss them when re-bagging everything at cleanup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
If it's 'mad' and your main agent performed the assassination/hiding, you simply put the mad token in front of you.

Your main agant can never perform an assassination. You can use a hired assassin card in the city with your main agent, but it's not him doing it. The assassination card in your main deck is another hired assassin, not an action for your main agent.

Other than that, you have it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ang
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your main agent may also perform an assassination with the one use only assassinate agent or royalty agent card, which essentially is the same as the hired assassin card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valarus wrote:
Eeeville wrote:
If it's 'mad' and your main agent performed the assassination/hiding, you simply put the mad token in front of you.

Your main agant can never perform an assassination. You can use a hired assassin card in the city with your main agent, but it's not him doing it. The assassination card in your main deck is another hired assassin, not an action for your main agent.

Other than that, you have it right.

From the rulebook (Page 10):

Assassinate Royalty – If you use an agent Game card to carry
out this action then you must perform the assassination in the city
occupied by the matching Agent counter. If you use a Hired Assassin
card then you can carry out the action in any city that you have at
least one agent in (including your Main Agent).

Assassinate Agent – If you use an agent Game card to carry out
this action then you must perform the assassination in the city
occupied by the matching Agent counter. If you use a Hired Assassin
card then you can carry out the action in any city in which you have
at least one agent in (including your Main Agent).

Main agents can assassinate.

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point is that, as with a "hired assassin" card, it isn't your main agent that performs the dark deed. You just need your main agent in the given city to direct the mercenary.

This is why the sanity check doesn't affect your main agent directly, but rather the player.

As opposed to using the Agent card that CAN directly assassinate, who then might become lost due to the madness of confronting such monstrous "royalty."

It's a small thing, but helpful in understanding the mechanics overall I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Crater
msg tools
Quote:
Main agents can assassinate.

William, I agree with your reading of the rules, but Martin Wallace has said elsewhere in the forums that your Main Agent doesn't have the assassinate ability (Indeed the main agent token/counter does NOT have any assassination abilities listed on it). He went on to say that the Assassination card that each player gets in their starting deck functions like a hired assassin card in that you can play it on any city in which you have any agent, but it is not the agent that does the killing.

Like I said, I would agree with you based on the wording in the rulebook, but when I hear it from the man himself, I take his word for it.

Does anyone remember where in the forums he said this? I feel like an idiot referencing it all the time but not remembering where it's posted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daventhal wrote:

Does anyone remember where in the forums he said this? I feel like an idiot referencing it all the time but not remembering where it's posted...

There are great search tools available on the forums. Just filter by username ("frog1") and a keyword relevant to the rule question at hand. "assassination" in this case) Restricting the search to the "rules" forum is a good idea, too.

Re: Lose your main agent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Crater
msg tools
I just figured that out. Thanks. I'm a bit of an idiot.

He said this:

Quote:
Your main agent is incapable of carrying out an assassination, so cannot be lost due to drawing a 'mad' Sanity counter. The card in your starting hand that allows you to carry out an assassination represents a hired assassin.

Hope that is clear.

Martin

That was from the discussion here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13874132#13874132
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daventhal wrote:
I just figured that out. Thanks. I'm a bit of an idiot.

He said this:

Quote:
Your main agent is incapable of carrying out an assassination, so cannot be lost due to drawing a 'mad' Sanity counter. The card in your starting hand that allows you to carry out an assassination represents a hired assassin.

Hope that is clear.

Martin

That was from the discussion here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13874132#13874132

Thank you for finding this, otherwise I would have to do it to prove my point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. . . So, should there be FAQ for this game soon? Should there be an errata document as well. . . Pretty please. I do not think i have played this game right yet. And I am on my 6th or 7th play.

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, would this be correct:

-Anytime you hide or assassinate Royalty, you must draw a sanity counter (regardless of whether it's an Agent card or a Hired Assassin card). With 2 possible results:

1) If you draw a sane counter, discard it.

2a) If you used a Hired Assassin (and equivalent starting card) or Sherlock/Moriarty/Vampire Agent card and you draw a mad counter, you simply place the mad counter in front of you.

or

2b) If you used an Agent card and you draw a mad counter, remove the agent with it's associated card from the game, then place the mad token in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Crater
msg tools
Sounds right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Just to confirm, Eeevile's clarification of the rules is correct.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.