20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Could anybody please build-test a Decktet tuckbox? =) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb

The Decktet Tuckbox with The Mountain and The Castle

I am sure that some of the do-it-themselvers have a Decktet, along with all the informative cards. Could you please see whether the size is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try it on Wed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! =) Please use the PDF version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I'm getting some very scrambled data when I try to download it right now, not sure if that means another server is going down.

I'll try again later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
Celinashope wrote:
I'm getting some very scrambled data when I try to download it right now, not sure if that means another server is going down.

I'll try again later today.

I'm getting the same scrambled text on my screen, not a PDF.

Right Click -> Save As

This will eliminate the garbled text problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, it looks like the BGG file system, for some reason, sets the MIME filetype of my PDF as text/html instead of application/pdf. Cannot tell why...

The long fix, though... Have anybody else encountered that problem?
The same thing happened with my Qyshinsu board upload, but the post in the forum yielded no replies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:

I am sure that some of the do-it-themselvers have a Decktet, along with all the informative cards. Could you please see whether the size is correct?

I don't know if you're intending this for the build-your-own Decktet files or cards from some commercial POD printer (e.g. Artscow or Printer's Studio), but that should only be a concern for the thickness of the box, I guess, since Artscow and Printer's Studio (at least) both print on 63.5x88.9mm cards, which is exactly the same as the cards in the Decktet download PDF from P.D. Magnus.

I tried inserting one of my Artscow Decktet decks, and I found that the tuckbox was about 4mm too short (top to bottom) and about 2mm too narrow (left-to-right). Were it not for these problems, it would be thick enough (front-to-back) to accomodate the whole deck, so that dimension - at least for my Artscow deck - is fine.

From an ease-of-building point of view, I'd make a few suggestions:

- The side flap (left-most part) is too trapezoidal for me. I use double-sided tape to assemble tuckboxes, but since the tape comes off the dispenser as a rectangle, I had to cut a piece which was only as long as the shortest (left-most) side of the trapezoid, meaning that the top ~11mm is unglued, which leaves the top flap very loose. I appreciate that it has to be at least slightly trapezoidal to make it fit properly, but I would prefer a drop of around 1mm rather than a drop of 11-12mm!

- From the fact that the bottom is two single-part flaps rather than one two-part flap, I presume that it's meant to be glued shut, but in light of this the fact that there's decoration on the two bottom side flaps (the pink one with the flower design on and the darker yellow-orange one with the flower design) confused me. Since there's decoration, should I fold and glue them over the top of the flap that reads "The Decktet"? Or is that decoration intended to be completely hidden under that flap? I'd suggest removing the decoration entirely and leaving those flaps the same flat colour as the other to-be-glued-over flaps.

- Personally, I'd prefer to have rounded corners on the top flap, so it would be nice if you could extend the colour out to a full rectangle without the 45-degree corners, and then simply provide the 45-degree corners as crop marks outside the flap itself? Like that people who want the corners can cut across from those crop marks, and those of us with an appropriate corner rounder can round off the flap corners if we want and not be left with a bit of white at the corner.

Purely personal-preference stuff:

- It would be nice if the fold lines (e.g. the side flaps for the top and bottom with the flower designs on) were removed from the graphic, or at least changed to a very light colour, so that they didn't stand out so much once the box were assembled.

- If you look at a lot of commercial tuckboxes, they have slight cuts in from the side along the middle fold of the two-part fold-in top flap - this helps keep that top flap closed, as it allows the end part (yellow with flower on your design) to slip under the side flaps. It's easy enough to cut by hand, but it might be nice to have some faint marks on the graphic as a guide to cut to.

The design itself I really like, by the way - it gets across that whimsical feel that the Decktet has very nicely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the excellent suggestions, Jake! =) That's my first time, and I made it from scratch.

So, the cards don't fit inside, but I got the deck thickness well? Okay, will try to make a millimeter-adjusted design in January!

Could anybody please also test the deck with the Game Crafter decks?

So, your points are:
- make the side glue flap rectangular or less trapezoidal;
- sort out the flaps;
- make it possible to choose between rounded and sharp-cut corners for the top flap;
- make the bending lines for the flaps less noticeable;
- add small bonus cuts for the top flap to make it work better?

I agree with almost all of them. =)
The decoration for the bottom small flaps is indeed pretty impractical for the glue-it-shut bottom (which I chose). Will fix that!

I never thought of the way to choose between corner types you described! Thank you very much!

I actually added the cuts for the box on my own after I made a test box -- and also slightly cut down the top flap to make it fit inside the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Made a few changes, added a copyright, and two snowflakes. =)

The Decktet Tuckbox with The Mountain and The Castle

Could you please build-test this version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I tried it out, and neither of my sets fit in, the cards were just slightly wider then the box. I've got an early printing & a later set, both of which came from PDMagnus, so I'm not sure which printing company he used.

I took pictures, but will have to wait until after my class to post them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they 2*3in? Will try to print it out myself and edit: thanks for the information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
My cards are 6.4 cm wide, if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn it, 3,5*2,5, not 3*2. Sorry, exam session. -.-
How exactly wider are they? ~2mm or more?
I'm still trying to figure out the leeways -- it's the first deckbox I'm making, and I'm using no template makers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Darn it, 3,5*2,5, not 3*2. Sorry, exam session. -.-
How exactly wider are they? ~2mm or more?
I'm still trying to figure out the leeways -- it's the first deckbox I'm making, and I'm using no template makers...

They are at least 2mm wider, the box they are currently in is 3mm wider then the one you made.

The cards are 6.4 cm x 8.95cm

OR (if this works better)

2.5 in x 3.5 in

Good luck on your exams! Or if you are teaching, good luck on your grading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Celina. =)

Could you post a photo of your attempt here, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Here you go:
Your box, with 1st printing cards:

The boxes I have, all stacked. The one in the middle is the one that came with the 2nd set of cards I got from PDMagnus. Bottom one is Decktet tuckbox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Some changes. Used metric system instead of inches. Will make the English PDF soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After fiddling with the sizes, I got quite stuck. =(

Does anyone have any experience in making tuckboxes? Could someone please generate a tuckbox layout for standard Poker size cards and TheGameCrafter/Artscow/PrinterStudio deck thickness (without any graphics, just as a layout)?

Thank you very much in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Try this website:

http://tuckbox.gameupdates.com/

or this one:

http://www.templatemaker.nl/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.