Subject: Feedback on plans for enhancing the components? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
My pre-order is on the way and I am already eager to enhance the components. I love what Greg shared in his thread here (thanks much, Greg!) and would like to do something similar.

These questions are for anyone who has played the game. I'm looking at the following from Print & Play Productions. Do the numbers I put together from the rule book online seem to add up? Would you recommend anything else to enhance the components? I already have purchased the board and I have some Reaper minis in case I decide to use them.

For each of the three resources (black, red, silver):
90 small 8mm cube counters
http://www.printplaygames.com/product/8mm-wood-cubes

16 disc 25mm disc counters (equalling five units of the resource)
http://www.printplaygames.com/product/25mm-x-7mm-wood-discs

For the rock markers:
16 black 20 cent. acrylic gems
http://www.printplaygames.com/product/acrylic-gem-20mm

What do you guys think? Thanks so much for all the ideas and pictures. I can't wait to get the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Prahl
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my copy is on the way...so i was wondering how many of each token type would you say is on the board at any one time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't get to play myself until this very weekend, so I can't answer. Hopefully someone will give you this information here.

FWIW, I went ahead and ordered the amounts above with a small change. I ordered 15 inch discs for the five unit counters rather than the 25 inch as I didn't want them ever to distract from the squads. I ordered 25 of each as that size was much cheaper. I just got my totals from the rule book total units for each resource (though I didn't get counters for three unit counters; I changed those into singles). I hope it works out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrgghhhh - colour ! All that colour !

More seriously, I was loathe to upgrade my components without sticking to the greyscale nature of the game. Perhaps white (Gore), grey (metal) and black (shadowflame) cubes in three sizes might work for resources ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Arrgghhhh - colour ! All that colour !

More seriously, I was loathe to upgrade my components without sticking to the greyscale nature of the game. Perhaps white (Gore), grey (metal) and black (shadowflame) cubes in three sizes might work for resources ?
This is completely understandable and it's your choice, of course (unless you go pastel - let's just not even address that)!

I saw red used in my buddy's enhancing of the game and liked it. It fits with the theme of gore and I like to think that red has at least a visitor's pass in the monochromatic black country of evil metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played last night and am now seriously considering pimping the game. How much did it cost you for all those cubes/discs James?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Charlie. The total for the order I placed above (please note the second post where I made some changes from the list in the OP before finalizing) was $30.36. At that time the 8mm cubes were on sale (for .05 apiece, I believe). I see they're .10 now so the total order now would be more expensive. That said, I really think the bits add a lot to the game experience and am very happy with what I ordered (and would be for the current price, too). The black acrylic nuggets are fun to move when excavating!

If I were to order again I would add one more item: wide discs (about the size of the family discs in Agricola) in each of the four colors of the necromancers. I like to be able to mark which squad has acted in my turn to help me keep track of it all. I ended up scavenging some wood bits from a different game instead for this purpose.

I'm glad you've gotten into this game as I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.