Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Elm Greatbow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I was playing the Labyrinth of Ruin quest about Balancing the Scales last night with my group, and the group's Necromancer (who had the Elm Greatbow equipped) wanted to move adjacent to some Fire Imps I was walling with and then cast Army of Death:

Elm Greatbow
Adjacent figures do not block your line of sight. [surge]: +2 [damage]. [surge]: +2 Range

Army of Death
[action]: Perform an attack with your Reanimate. This attack affects each monster in your line of sight, ignoring range; your Reanimate does not need to be in line of sight to the affected monsters, but does need to be on the map.

He thought that, because he had the Elm Greatbow equipped, he could ignore the Fire Imps for the purpose of measuring line of sight, and thus the monsters hiding behind the Fire Imps would be affected by Army of Death.

I didn't think the strategy was valid because I think that the Elm Greatbow's effects should only be applied to attacks made with the Elm Greatbow, e.g. if he had searched, found a Fire Flask, and chosen to make an attack with it, adjacent monsters would still block his line of sight. (He wouldn't be able to spend the Elm Greatbow's surge abilities while making an attack with the Fire Flask, either, because those too only apply to the attacks made with the Elm Greatbow.)

Also, it's a greatbow, not a periscope, and it's not even magical.

Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Kopet
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call, abilities on weapons only apply to those weapons. Even if they are magical periscopes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
synchroneyes wrote:
Good call, abilities on weapons only apply to those weapons. Even if they are magical periscopes.

And when making attacks with those weapons. The skill specifically says to make an attack with the reanimate, which would roll whatever dice the reanimate rolls at that time. Thus the Elm Greatbow is not used, and its ability to ignore adjacent figures for LOS purposes is not applicable. Now, if the attack was made with whatever weapon the Necromancer had equipped, this would be a different matter entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I would agree if it said something like:
"Adjacent figures do not block your line of sight while attacking with this weapon."

However, the way it is worded, I would think you do ignore line of sight for all abilities as long as the bow is equipped.

This may need an official ruling from Justin.

Nevermind. You perform the attack with your reanimate. The reanimate is not wielding the bow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Yeah, official reply is pending. I'll post it here when I get one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is akin to trying to attack with one equipped weapon while using abilities printed on a different equipped weapon. It doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Entice wrote:
Nevermind. You perform the attack with your reanimate. The reanimate is not wielding the bow.

Yeah, but the attack affects each monster in your line of sight, and you are wielding the bow. The reanimate's line of sight is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
FFG responds:

Justin Kemppainen wrote:
Abilities on weapons are specific to those weapons unless otherwise specified, and most every ability relates to attacks performed with that weapon. Thus, the Rage Blade doesn't grant extra dice to attacks made with another equipped weapon, passive abilities on weapons like Pierce 1 (or heaven forbid: Reach) don't transfer to other attacks, and the Elm Greatbow doesn't affect line of sight for other attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ferguson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
zbmott wrote:
FFG reponds:

Justin Kemppainen wrote:
Abilities on weapons are specific to those weapons unless otherwise specified, and most every ability relates to attacks performed with that weapon. Thus, the Rage Blade doesn't grant extra dice to attacks made with another equipped weapon, passive abilities on weapons like Pierce 1 (or heaven forbid: Reach) don't transfer to other attacks, and the Elm Greatbow doesn't affect line of sight for other attacks.

Thank you for the clarification on the rules. I was actually curious about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
zbmott wrote:

Yeah, but the attack affects each monster in your line of sight, and you are wielding the bow. The reanimate's line of sight is irrelevant.

Yeah, but your line of sight does not gain the benefit provided by the Elm Greatbow unless you are performing an attack with the Elm Greatbow.

The attack performed via Army of Death does not use equipped weapons, so the Elm Greatbow's ability is not in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.