Seasons» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tiebreakers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kai Hinger
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So I got Seasons for Christmas and my wife and I are loving it so far. Probably our favorite game that we have at the moment. The other night though we had a problem, we tied. Both ended the game with 156 points (4 players, two new players (my parents), my god was that game long). So we checked the rulebook, ok, power cards is the tie breaker. Oops, we both have 8 power cards out. Umm, ok, what else is there? The only other things I can think of that would be valid to break a tie are as follows:

1) leftover energy tokens (I had the card that gave 1 energy token at end of round, so I had one despite transmuting last turn)
2) summoning gauge
3) number of magic or familial cards instead of total
4) age of players
5) flip a coin or rock paper scissors.
6) cagematch
7) crystals

We decided to go with leftover energy tokens, so I won. I would've won anyway if I could've remembered to get my 3 crystals upon playing a card (I wasted it three times because I'm an idiot), so that seemed fair enough, not that it really matters.

Number 2 seems a bit of a stretch to me, but I think I like it better than 1. Three seems silly and arbitrary. I'm not sure what the best solution is for a tiebreaker. Maybe crystals, which I just added as 7? Whoever had the most crystals, not including points from cards and other modifiers?

Or is it just one of those games that can end in a tie (I hate ties, if you can't tell).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, I would say if the rulebook does not mention a second tie breaker, then it is one of those 'shared victory' scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Hinger
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
That seems fair enough. Makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never understood the need for there to be a single winner. If two players play equally well (score the same victory points) why try to distinguish between them? In most games where this is attempted the second level differentiator is often at the "noise level" for the game anyway (or is more or less arbitrary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I've never understood the need for there to be a single winner. If two players play equally well (score the same victory points) why try to distinguish between them? In most games where this is attempted the second level differentiator is often at the "noise level" for the game anyway (or is more or less arbitrary).
I agree with this statement 100%...especially for a game where you can score over 200 points. Generally when you get into 3 or 4 tie breakers, the criteria is random, not something that is part of your strategy anyway.

If playing a 2P game, I can think of no better scenario than ending in a tie. It means we both played well and likely both had fun.

The only reason I can see for needing additional tie breakers is if playing in some kind of tournament where only one player can advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Hinger
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Yeah, the wife and I discussed it some more, she admitted she was just letting me win and this is a game where you just tie. I can live with that. It's true that we both had fun and played well if we tied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.