Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing quite a bit of DoA 2 recently. It's a great game and has many sandbox elements. I also went to see The Hobbit 2 and it got me thinking.

Which would be the most appropriate existing DoA 2 Characters to represent the Fellowship heroes?

I looked through the cards and came up with the following choices. Several were easy to match, others less so. Keen to hear any thoughts, and if there might be better options out there...

Aragorn = Perindor, The Ranger
This was a no brainer. Perindor is a very good all-rounder, can melee pretty well, expert with a bow, is stealthy and moves easily in poor terrain. I did consider William Wallace for a moment, for his inspiring leadership, but Perindor is a better fit.

Legolas = Avindel, The Elf
An easy fit. He is smart, honourable, brilliant at melee and with a bow, and very stealthy. Moves well but is poor outside of the ancient world.

Gimli = Arkin Ironshanks, The Dwarf
An easy fit. A strong melee fighter who is used to fighting in caverns.

Boromir = Beowulf, The Mythical Hero
An easy fit. A strong human melee fighter who likes to look at his allies' equipment? Boromir for sure.

Merry and Pippin = Minx and Jinx, The Little People
Very thematic. The two companions together on their adventures. Not much melee threat but tricky and harassing.

Now things get a little less obvious...

Gandalf = Rizzik the Red, The Wizard
Rizzik is an OK fit with high intellect and a good ranged attack (spell), also able to move easily. I did consider the elementalist, given her multitude of different spells, but she is a bit of a nasty character, and female. Rizzik is an OK fit.

Samwise Gamgee = Greymede, The Faithful Companion
Now looking at Greymede, I immediately figured he would be Gollum, but actually, his honour and specials make him an ideal Sam. He fits brilliantly as Sam but it needs a tweak to his special such that he can ONLY PAIR with Mr Frodo, whatever Frodo's honour might be.

Frodo Baggins = Flicker, The Stealthmistress
This was a tough one. I looked at Yori Blackpad and Helene Lang, but Flicker just about steals it. Good stealth, using wits in melee to steal equipment, not much of a fighter but can cross cliffs... all very thematic. Female, but not too much of an issue. Greymede's special needs tweaked to allow them to PAIR.

Lastly, not STRICTLY a member of the Fellowship, but a key player nevertheless...

Gollum = Yori Blackpad, The Cave Dweller
Greymede looks the part, but he makes for a better Sam. I did consider Yori for Frodo, but overall, he is better suited to Gollum. High stealth and fights well in a cavern. His honour is high, but I can't see a better fit.

What do you think? would you choose differently? if so, why? What other literary teams spring to mind when you look at the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aragorn is no peculiarly good with a bow. Wallace is indeed a better fit for the lost king. Perhaps Perindor for when he pose as Longstride thus, but definitely Wallace as soon as he reach Rohan and when in elven lands.

About Gandalf, he is really not the standard magician, more like a grey eminence making things moves. In battle his power is that of a god, no less, wich isn't really surprising if you consider than he IS in fact a god (minor divinity as Gandalf the Grey, full divinity as Gandalf the White). So I wont concentrate on magician archetype but rather as sage, guide or schemer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Nathaniel.

I get your reasoning with Aragorn, but I am still liking Perindor over Wallace. Aragorn seemed pretty good at everything himself, whilst inspiring others too!

I know what you mean with Gandalf. He can be SUPER powerful when required in the books. Who might you suggest for Gandalf? I even considered El Cid in that Gandalf The White takes over when El Cid 'dies'. What did you think to The Elementalist?

Thanks again for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.