Subject: Purpose of Expedition Encounters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first play, I have a pretty good grasp of what all the other encounters do in the game, but I don't really know how the Expedition Encounters will help/harm my character and/or advance the game. I don't want to read the cards to get more information, for me that would ruin some of the fun of playing.

Can someone more experienced with AH or EH give me some clues (no pun intended) as to how they relate to the overall flow of the game?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Expeditions can give you artifacts, retreat doom, or give you clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
They are the main way of gaining artifacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

And the power from the artifacts is potent enough to travel and then endure the expedition, even if it is a distant location on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much artifacts or retreat doom. Useful if the doom track is creeping close to 0 and an expedition is nearby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

And the power from the artifacts is potent enough to travel and then endure the expedition, even if it is a distant location on the board?

I probably wouldn't travel half way across the board to get to one, but if one were close by...

The artifacts are pretty powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my few minor complaints so far- there's no pressing reason to go on an Expedition. The Mysteries and Rumours that have turned up so far don't require Expeditions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
This is one of my few minor complaints so far- there's no pressing reason to go on an Expedition. The Mysteries and Rumours that have turned up so far don't require Expeditions...

They don't require them, but they can give you a big boost.

And it's likely the first expansion - featuring Nyarlathotep - will require them in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Pretty much this. As others have said, I wouldn't travel halfway across the map for an expedition. Likewise, I wouldn't stop for an expedition if I could reach a more meaningful encounter instead (gates, clues needed for Mysteries, or Rumors). But otherwise, they're highly lucrative encounters that you should always try to stop at when feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Thoth Amon wrote:

And it's likely the first expansion - featuring Nyarlathotep - will require them in some way.

HOLD UP JUST A SECOND! Has there been news that I missed about an expansion already or is this just an educated guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobit Glenhaber
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
veector wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

I probably wouldn't travel half way across the board to get to one, but if one were close by...

The artifacts are pretty powerful.

I'd agree with that. Some characters/artifacts combinations can be OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Thoth Amon wrote:

HOLD UP JUST A SECOND! Has there been news that I missed about an expansion already or is this just an educated guess?

Check out: Anyone crack the code yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried to crack the secret message yet- just figured since "Masks of Nyarlathotep" is supposed to be a global campaign for the RPG it would make a natural expansion to EH. Plus him and Hastur kinda got snubbed in EH so far.

SO they've really got an Expansion in the works?!?

Also, I figured out one thing I was doing wrong- I've been throwing used Clues right back into the mix, but you're not supposed to do that. No wonder certain cities keep coming up multiple times! If I'd done it right, the Sea and Wilderness would have come up more often...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
BertMcCloud wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Thoth Amon wrote:

Check out: Anyone crack the code yet?

I have no idea how I managed to completely miss this thread before! Thank you for linking it for me.

That's some amazing dedication to deciphering the code, I love the BGG community for things like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:

SO they've really got an Expansion in the works?!?

This is FFG we're talking about here. They've *always* got an expansion in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.