Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Buying the core tomorrow and any advice appreciated. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ste gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after many reviews and viewing tutorials I am going out to purchase the core set tomorrow at my local store.

I also wish to look for a vinyl mat (hope they have one).

So...any advice on what to purchase along with the core (barring another core set)?

My limit is around £120, intend on collecting both factions and as a heads up I am a casual player (no intention of playing cheesy lists) and simply in the mix to enjoy the game.

Do the expansion packs (X-wing for example) anything more than the core set ones?

Thanks for your time chaps,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the core set along with an expansion X-Wing and TIE... play the game a few times with some friends.

If you like the experience you'll know what to do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Waves are hard to come by, so if you see an X-Wing/TIE Fighter/Y-Wing/TIE Advanced, I'd grab at least one of those.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The single ships come with pilots and upgrade cards that aren't in the Core set, so having one of each of the X-Wing and TIE expansions will expand what you can do with the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy a second core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Before a second core set, an X-Wing and TIE fighter expansion are very helpful because of the unique pilots they each offer. Specifically Wedge and Howlrunner are very useful in a lot of lists. Once you have them, you could get a second core for the 3rd X-Wing, 4th and 5th TIE and more dice, templates, a 2nd damage deck and what not. Most players end up with 2 (or more) core sets eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To really get started and have awesome games, I'd recommend picking up stuff in this order, as your budget allows:

2 Core Sets
1 X-Wing Expansion
1 TIE Fighter Expansion
1 YT-1300 / Millennium Falcon
1 Firespray-31 / Slave I

Then start in on the other sets, alternating between Rebels and Imperials. Eventually, unless you're really hardcore into one faction, you're going to want at least 1 of everything, and 2 of most, 3 or 4 of some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Parker
msg tools
Good advice so far, 2 starter sets are a really good deal, especially if you can find them on clearance (several Targets have them priced at 20 USD currently).

There are a couple other small factors that I can add:

Sounds like there is a gaming store you go to. If so do you intend on playing other people at the game store that already have X-Wing? If so, you may want to focus on a particular faction first (Imperials or Rebels). Easier to get to a solid 100pt list quicker. Personally I have a lot more Imp stuff then Rebel sets, but I know most people like collecting equally.

Depending on the group, some people are pretty chill if you don't have all the *exact* cards you need. All the rules are available online, so if you do the full print-off from say: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build it will give you all the rules you need. This will let you initially pass on the extra X-Wing and Tie Fighter sets initially. Thus you can jump into more ship diversity and figure out what you like earlier (say B-Wings, Tie Interceptors, Y-Wings, Tie Bombers, etc.). BUT you will definitely need both the XW and Tie-F boxes eventually, so if you like those ships enough might as well grab them while they are in stock. Availability is one issue this game has, since YW has been sold out for months until the next big shipment comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On vinyl mats, I'm in the group of players that finds the Death Star ones to be headache-inducing during play. Unless you're particularly keen on one of those, Starfields are a better choice. Or, as a much less expensive option, a yard of black glitter felt from fabric/crafts store is very nice too and will free up more budget for ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

2 core sets ( I got 3 to start : S )

Millenium Falcom x1

Firespray x1

X-wing x1

Tie fighter x1

A-wing or B-wing x1

Tie interceptor or Tie bomber x1
-------------------------------------

Y-wing

Tie advanced

A-wing or B-wing x1

Tie interceptor or Tie bomber x1

-------------------------------------

Lambda, hwk , are not the ones you would be needing yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ste gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DagobahDave wrote:
To really get started and have awesome games, I'd recommend picking up stuff in this order, as your budget allows:

2 Core Sets
1 X-Wing Expansion
1 TIE Fighter Expansion
1 YT-1300 / Millennium Falcon
1 Firespray-31 / Slave I

Then start in on the other sets, alternating between Rebels and Imperials. Eventually, unless you're really hardcore into one faction, you're going to want at least 1 of everything, and 2 of most, 3 or 4 of some.

I went for this set-up and pleased with what I have.

I had hoped to get the Tie Bomber great model) but no luck (out of stock).

I had hoped to get a playmat but the building one (GF9) looked far too busy for my liking (you are so right Cat). So I ordered one on-line (sky with red effects).

Thank you all for your help :)

Very much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most people, I'm going to advocate 2 core sets before any expansions for pretty practical reasons - 1. You get another set of templates/dice/etc. which are significantly more useful than you might imagine. 2. I actually don't believe that the core + X-Wing + TIE starter set that is often recommended is actually a very good idea. Simply, 2 X-Wings are going to be a tough match for 3 TIEs. You need more available ships on the Imperial side. and 3. You're going to end up with more than 1 core set anyway if you like the game.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw the core set at our local Target on clearance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.