Subject: Long, two-player games for a snowy day? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2-player [+] [View All]
Steven Doles
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be cold and snowy here for at least the next four months. Every time the snow falls heavily my partner and I discuss how we wish we had a long, heavy game to play through the evening, maybe with some mulled wine or cider simmering on the stove. Unfortunately, while we have quite a few games that play from about fifteen minutes to around ninety minutes or so, we don't have a game that really provides the sense of long, night-filling expansiveness we're looking for. I am thinking at least, say, three hours. Can ya help me out with some suggestions?

A few hopes: I'd like the game to feel expansive and epic, with a lot of room for developing a strategy over a long series of turns. It must play well with only two players, but if it can play more that's great. My partner has a preference for fantasy and science fiction themes, and mostly has no interest in historical war games. The game materials should not be revolting to look at aesthetically.

What do you all play when you have this yearning? I'd love to hear what you play even if it doesn't match all my criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the good deep 2p games are war games.

How about 2p Dominant Species?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morriss
England
Loughton
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games we play that spring to mind are...

War of the Ring

Twilight Struggle

...both great games IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Android, although it may take in the order of 4-5 hours with even just two players. (Yes, it can be played very well with just 2 players.)

The theme is excellent, with a beautiful board and with a lot of flavor text on the cards (you can decide yourself how much to read it during the game). All characters are unique with some of their own character-specific rules, personal storylines to finish during the game (happy endings give victory points), and their own demons to avoid when working on the current work case. There are many different murder cases to play. There is a great atmosphere, and although the board and the sheer number of tokens may at first intimidate you, the game mechanisms are actually quite simple when you have played once. Each game takes a long time (5+ hours for your first 2-player game), so stay clear of this game, if that is a problem for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kudric
Argentina
La Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Morriss wrote:
Twilight Struggle

yep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems Mage Knight Board Game would fit the bill nicely.

It takes a while and has that epic feel. Strategy is there. Long, heavy. Good with two players. (and solo) Looks nice. fantasy.

Downside (maybe) it takes a bit to learn and consumes your entire table.

But it is tons of fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan I know you said no historical wargames, but this is a damn elegant game. You really should have a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars for fantasy and game length. Plays well with two, and you can 'hunker down' and enjoy this one for about 3 hours, and it don't look too shabby either.

Defenders of the Realm is a cooperative, fantasy based game that plays well with 2 and can fill up an evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle

War of the Ring (Second Edition)

Mage Knight Board Game

Horus Heresy (2010)

Earth Reborn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Any attraction to no theme at all? Go can burn quite a few hours. In one sense, every move feels like every other; you're constantly doing nothing more than setting a little stone at some tiny intersection. That's it. But when you describe games that...

smdoles wrote:
feel expansive and epic, with a lot of room for developing a strategy over a long series of turns. It must play well with only two players,

...you've described Go precisely. I've never been able to discern such a thing in real time, but when you read an analysis of a game along the lines of "and this shows why 31 moves ago was a blunder", you get an appreciation for how subtly deep and nuanced this game is. True, it offers all the adrenaline rush of watching a charcoal fire burn out. But you didn't mention exciting.

Expansive and epic? No doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mb
Doesn't fit your Sci-Fi or Fantasy requirement, but a perfect 2 player game of significant length and strategic depth is Antiquity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dominant Species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not many of these are fantasy themed, but play very well with two and can occupy many, many hours of strategic play:

Agricola
Dominant Species
Twilight Struggle
Through the Ages
Antiquity
Tzolkin
Eclipse
Caylus
Manhattan Project
Egizia
Terra Mystica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the ages might be what your looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mage Knight Board Game

+1 War of the Ring (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I think you want Runebound (Second Edition): fantasy theme; can be played solo, duo, or with several players; takes players on a journey of leveling up from basic adventurer to epic hero. It has the high production value that is typical of FFG games. Plus you can customize it any which-way with expansions and add-ons.

Mage Knight Board Game is also a good choice for many of the same reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read your whole post, but
A Few Acres of Snow
sounds good on a snowy day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Arkham Horror is a great, epic game. It's a co-op, but I would recommend you both play 2 investigators each, since 4 investigators is optimal (I play 4 investigators solo). Very thematic. If you add some horror themed music and dim the lights around you, I bet when you look out at the snowy landscape while darkness falls, you'll wonder if that's more than the wind howling in the night.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony. Everything I've read it's one of the best 2player games, period.

Others that we would recommend:

Through the Ages
Antiquity
Roads & Boats
Twilight Struggle
Paths of Glory
War of the Ring
Rune Wars

And tell us what you choose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The smaller scenarios might only take 3 hours to set-up...

Case Blue devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1000 for War of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Edwards
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eclipse
War of the Ring
Descent Second Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smdoles wrote:
It'll be cold and snowy here for at least the next four months. Every time the snow falls heavily my partner and I discuss how we wish we had a long, heavy game to play through the evening, maybe with some mulled wine or cider simmering on the stove. Unfortunately, while we have quite a few games that play from about fifteen minutes to around ninety minutes or so, we don't have a game that really provides the sense of long, night-filling expansiveness we're looking for. I am thinking at least, say, three hours. Can ya help me out with some suggestions?

A few hopes: I'd like the game to feel expansive and epic, with a lot of room for developing a strategy over a long series of turns. It must play well with only two players, but if it can play more that's great. My partner has a preference for fantasy and science fiction themes, and mostly has no interest in historical war games. The game materials should not be revolting to look at aesthetically.

What do you all play when you have this yearning? I'd love to hear what you play even if it doesn't match all my criteria.

Dungeon Twister 2: Prison hands down meets all your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KemKat K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game

Can be played as a cooperative or a competitive game.

Great with 2 players, supports 4 or 5 with expansion.

Beautiful fantasy theme.

Lots of strategy.

It is a bit formidable when first starting but rules are very intuitive and rulebook is well designed.

My husband and I love this game and wish we had more snowy days to play it on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.