Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Dominion Online: GOKO specifically rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So...

I got to play a bunch of Dominion over the holiday break with my family and we had a great time. Sadly, we don't get together often, so we can't play Dominion as much as I'd like.

So, I'm thinking of dropping $45 to get all the Dominion Games on GOKO. Can anyone give me reasons for or against doing this? It seems like a reasonable implementation of the game, and my main goal is the ability to have someone to play Dominion against whenever I want a game (not a computer).

Thoughts?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of reasons against it in the forums for the Dominion Online listing on BGG: Dominion Online

I love Dominion, but I won't buy Goko's implementation of it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goko is basically the worst thing ever. Avoid at all costs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a shame that they had access to what isotropic did and still managed to make it just worse than what isotropic was able to do for free- and try to charge for it. Not only is the game play slow, buggy, and confusing; but I have never seen a program leak so much memory in Chrome before. It literally takes up gigs and gigs of system resources until my machine can't do anything else. . .
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about dropping $45 straight away soblue

I haven't read the various complaint threads but I played the basic set about once a week synchronously with my son (using Skype) for about 3 or 4 months.

We found it to be a good implementation - very smooth - but eventually, of course, it got boring with just the base set.

Still, we were using the game as something to do while we chatted, so it's not like we were going hard at it or anything.

My advice would be that seeing as you can play the basic for free, why not just play that for a while and see if you think it's worth dropping the money on the expansions?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Goko is basically the worst thing ever. Avoid at all costs.


Sorry... new to the Goko thing. Anything to support this statement? I looked through the forum for Dominion Online and didn't see anything too major recently. I saw some things from back in August but maybe they got some of the glitches sorted out?

The biggest issue it seems to me is the need for an internet connection (and while I understand that is a big drawback for a lot of people, that doesn't much matter to me as I always seem to be connected)...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:

We found it to be a good implementation - very smooth - but eventually, of course, it got boring with just the base set.


Yeah, this is where I am. I've played it a bit with the base set and it seems fine and I've never had any problems with it. Just not sure what I'm missing... If it is just the tangible feel of a card game - I get that point. But if that is it, then I'm okay dealing with that...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:
I don't know about dropping $45 straight away soblue


I just figured this is the best deal if I'm going to eventually get them all anyway...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wafflestomper wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Goko is basically the worst thing ever. Avoid at all costs.


Sorry... new to the Goko thing. Anything to support this statement? I looked through the forum for Dominion Online and didn't see anything too major recently. I saw some things from back in August but maybe they got some of the glitches sorted out?

The biggest issue it seems to me is the need for an internet connection (and while I understand that is a big drawback for a lot of people, that doesn't much matter to me as I always seem to be connected)...


Goko started with some questionable goals and a very poor implementation at launch.

Since then, they seem to have corrected course somewhat.

Unfortunately, they did so much damage to their image initially, that a lot of people have decided to have nothing to do with them ever.

Last I heard was they were (under new management?) finally planning to launch their "more" native version for iOS devices, although that didn't seem to have happen either, adding to credibility issues. Believe this was sometime back in August/September.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wafflestomper wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Goko is basically the worst thing ever. Avoid at all costs.


Sorry... new to the Goko thing. Anything to support this statement? I looked through the forum for Dominion Online and didn't see anything too major recently. I saw some things from back in August but maybe they got some of the glitches sorted out?

The biggest issue it seems to me is the need for an internet connection (and while I understand that is a big drawback for a lot of people, that doesn't much matter to me as I always seem to be connected)...


Honestly, go and visit the Dominion Strategy forums and look under "Dominion Online."

Goko took something that could have been awesome and destroyed it. Recent posts support that they have done nothing to bring things back up to speed. I would probably stay far away from spending money on their product at this time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They appear to have gone silent judging by their facebook page. No post since September 5th.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narkul wrote:
They appear to have gone silent judging by their facebook page. No post since September 5th.


On their Facebook page, back on 9/5/13, Goko wrote:

Coming soon!

This fall, Goko will introduce the official tablet version of Dominion by Donald X Vaccarino:

- iOS tablet version will come out first. . . Yeah, we know Android has some really cool tablets. We’re working on Android as fast as we can!

- Play against the computer, online or offline. Lots of flavors of bots to hone your skills for every kind of opponent. Fight greed against Banker Bot, or try to slip one by our Warlord!

- Find your friends and play with them online. Show your love and devotion to faraway friends and relatives with a quick hand of this beloved deck-building game.

- No shuffling or cheating! Yes, this whole digital thing has some practical advantages.

Check out screenshots and stay tuned for more.

Beta invites and trailer coming soon.



Does anyone know what happened with this ? Was there a beta ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Friesen
Canada
Hepburn
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the beta at Gen Con this year and did get a key a while back (I didn't use it because I run all Android devices though) I have no Idea how the Beta is currently faring.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great example of everything a company shouldn't be. They don't seem to relate to the consumer they're trying to appeal to. They could make a showing in these forums of which practically all of their potential customers visit, but they won't. Their software implementations are supposedly horrible, judging by the reviews of their win8 apps and comments on facebook. Maybe they have run out of money, no longer being able to pay their programmers, leaving the promised apps in limbo. I wonder what will happen to all their game licenses if they go bankrupt? I hope they end up in good hands.

I want a good Dominion app.

What say you, Goko?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narkul wrote:
They could make a showing in these forums of which practically all of their potential customers visit, but they won't.


I remember when they had their disastrous release, they did show up. However it was some poor girl who basically got thrown to the wolves. I really felt bad for her, because I don't think anyone prepped her for what kind of pushback they would receive.

I often wonder if she's still with the company. I would have quite right then and there if they had done that to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narkul wrote:
A great example of everything a company shouldn't be. They don't seem to relate to the consumer they're trying to appeal to. They could make a showing in these forums of which practically all of their potential customers visit, but they won't. Their software implementations are supposedly horrible, judging by the reviews of their win8 apps and comments on facebook. Maybe they have run out of money, no longer being able to pay their programmers, leaving the promised apps in limbo. I wonder what will happen to all their game licenses if they go bankrupt? I hope they end up in good hands.

I want a good Dominion app.

What say you, Goko?



I think you are over estimating the importance of this little website.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hague
United Kingdom
Todmorden
West Yorks
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to admit, I play it occasionally on my iPad and haven't had a problem.

I wouldn't pay for it, you can get a good game out of it for free and I doubt you would get $45 worth.

Wait for an iOS app and then see what happens.

I don't get to play it often as my OH doesn't like it. It's nice to play occasionally at our group with real people.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Narkul wrote:
A great example of everything a company shouldn't be. They don't seem to relate to the consumer they're trying to appeal to. They could make a showing in these forums of which practically all of their potential customers visit, but they won't. Their software implementations are supposedly horrible, judging by the reviews of their win8 apps and comments on facebook. Maybe they have run out of money, no longer being able to pay their programmers, leaving the promised apps in limbo. I wonder what will happen to all their game licenses if they go bankrupt? I hope they end up in good hands.

I want a good Dominion app.

What say you, Goko?



I think you are over estimating the importance of this little website.
That had 25 million unique visitors in 2013?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Narkul wrote:
A great example of everything a company shouldn't be. They don't seem to relate to the consumer they're trying to appeal to. They could make a showing in these forums of which practically all of their potential customers visit, but they won't. Their software implementations are supposedly horrible, judging by the reviews of their win8 apps and comments on facebook. Maybe they have run out of money, no longer being able to pay their programmers, leaving the promised apps in limbo. I wonder what will happen to all their game licenses if they go bankrupt? I hope they end up in good hands.

I want a good Dominion app.

What say you, Goko?



I think you are over estimating the importance of this little website.
That had 25 million unique visitors in 2013?


You think that is an impressive number?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My biggest problem with GOKO is I feel they are unreliable, and I worry about throwing money into the game, and then they just shut the site down because it isn't working for them, and it's gone.

At one point, they were talking about cross platform purchases, and it was mentioned that they weren't sure that things purchased for the Web Version would carry over to the iOS port (or other ports) and I pretty much immediately wrote them off, especially since they were originally going to require internet connection for the iOS port (which means same web services).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oogarasu wrote:
My biggest problem with GOKO is I feel they are unreliable, and I worry about throwing money into the game, and then they just shut the site down because it isn't working for them, and it's gone.


This is my biggest concern. I guess I'll hold off and wait for another friend to play with IRL or wait for a good app. Someone? Please?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
You think that is an impressive number?


25,000,000 people likely showing an interest in a type of product I'm trying to peddle. If I were a board game software developer, I think I might, just maybe, see the advantage of interacting with such a site as this, even if I pick up only a small fraction of those 25,000,000.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narkul wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
You think that is an impressive number?


25,000,000 people likely showing an interest in a type of product I'm trying to peddle. If I were a board game software developer, I think I might, just maybe, see the advantage of interacting with such a site as this, even if I pick up only a small fraction of those 25,000,000.


Or you could go to Facebook and pick up a large portion of that 25 million and have access to close to a billion more people. BGG represents just a small portion of gamers around the world or just even in the United States.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Narkul wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
You think that is an impressive number?


25,000,000 people likely showing an interest in a type of product I'm trying to peddle. If I were a board game software developer, I think I might, just maybe, see the advantage of interacting with such a site as this, even if I pick up only a small fraction of those 25,000,000.


Or you could go to Facebook and pick up a large portion of that 25 million and have access to close to a billion more people. BGG represents just a small portion of gamers around the world or just even in the United States.


Yes, facebook, a billion people all looking at their Aunt Harriet's vacation pictures, or Uncle Ernie falling over the coffee table on new years eve, or maybe liking Wendys to get that treasured value frosty for free.

Facebook, where Goko has accumulated a whopping 524 likes, half of which are probably employee family members and friends. Where the 100 or so legitimate people who found them on facebook and liked them are trying to get answers about why the Dominion web app is down again.

If I ever find anything interesting on facebook, which is rare, it's because I found a link from a site like this. I guess I'm part of a percentage of people that just don't get the fascination with facebook. A loner. A rebel. The anti-facebook.

6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narkul wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Narkul wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
You think that is an impressive number?


25,000,000 people likely showing an interest in a type of product I'm trying to peddle. If I were a board game software developer, I think I might, just maybe, see the advantage of interacting with such a site as this, even if I pick up only a small fraction of those 25,000,000.


Or you could go to Facebook and pick up a large portion of that 25 million and have access to close to a billion more people. BGG represents just a small portion of gamers around the world or just even in the United States.


Yes, facebook, a billion people all looking at their Aunt Harriet's vacation pictures, or Uncle Ernie falling over the coffee table on new years eve, or maybe liking Wendys to get that treasured value frosty for free.

Facebook, where Goko has accumulated a whopping 524 likes, half of which are probably employee family members and friends. Where the 100 or so legitimate people who found them on facebook and liked them are trying to get answers about why the Dominion web app is down again.

If I ever find anything interesting on facebook, which is rare, it's because I found a link from a site like this. I guess I'm part of a percentage of people that just don't get the fascination with facebook. A loner. A rebel. The anti-facebook.



Brilliant !! (and certainly you are not alone)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.