Subject: Will I like this game? How much does it feel like a deck builder? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of euro and racing games but don't like deck builders. I have tried my fair share of deck builders and have never really liked them. Will I like this game?

A) How much does it feel like a deck builder?

B) How is it different from regular deck builders?

C) What don't I like about deck builders?
- Generally, lots of text on cards
- Adds complication and slows down the game
- New players seem disadvantaged because they don't know the best combo of cards. It feels like it takes several plays to find the good combos. This gives more experienced players a big advantage.
- I find the trying to balance the perfect deck in DBs to be more annoying than fun. (Adding / Drawing Mechanism)

For those of you who have played this, thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a deck building game. It's more like a hand-building game. Your entire 'deck' is in your hand and most rounds you will play a card from your hand. Eventually you'll get your played cards back. The mechanism is similar to Concordia. There is no luck of the draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
neverscene wrote:

A) How much does it feel like a deck builder?

Feels 35% like deckbuilder, 30% like trading/resource management game, 25% like racing game, and 10% like Worker Placement game.

neverscene wrote:

B) How is it different from regular deck builders?

Quite different.

neverscene wrote:

C) - Generally, lots of text on cards

no text, but symbols, which you have to look up sometimes, so not much better. but cards are not very complicated, most of them quite simple.

neverscene wrote:
- Adds complication and slows down the game

yes, it does, especially in the first game.

neverscene wrote:
- New players seem disadvantaged because they don't know the best combo of cards. It feels like it takes several plays to find the good combos. This gives more experienced players a big advantage.

yes, but isn't that the case in all (heavier) games, that experienced players have an advantage?
You'll need 1 or 2 games her, after that it's by far not as bad as in Dominion/Thunderstone.. here. Why not?
Because there's no fixed set of cards evailable to everyone. You don't know at the start which cards will show up, so you cannot plan a perfect strategy from a starting set-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
A) It doesn't feel like a deck builder

B) At the beginning of a round all of your cards are available in your hand. You do not have to draw them from a draw pile. New cards are added to your hand from a market of 5 cards. Cards in the market are unique and usually become less expensive to acquire as they slide down the market. Every card has an activation cost. You can pay that cost with other cards or with worker placement.

C) -No text on cards, just icons. Each card is explained in the rule book.
- Some complication to learn what the card does. But it does not slow down the game too much. The game usually slows down from AP instead.
- That's true, an experienced player will recognize good combos and try to buy those cards first. But the game is much more about resource management.
- There is no adding or drawing mechanism

Lewis and Clark is not a deck builder. Its a resource management, worker placement, action selection, hand management game. You can get more actions in the game, but they do not go into a "deck."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
A> Have you played Mage Knight? It has less deck building than Mage Knight. I'd say most players buy approximately 2-6 new cards during the game. That's it.

B> And you only have 6 cards to start with. Your deck probably never gets above 10-12 cards.

C> There is no text on anything in the game. They went the Castles of Burgundy "what the hell does this icon mean?" route. Some of them are real headscratchers too, so you will need to keep the rulebook handy.

I think new player vs experienced player will always cause problems in any game, and I do think that Settlers of Catan still does the best job of playing that down and gets hate for it. There's enough odd/new mechanics/mechanic combos (not just cards) in this game to make a new players head spin a bit.

L&C isn't a deckbuilder. Its a racing game that uses some worker placement and some deckbuilding and resource management (by playing off of other player's cards and board placement) to move the race along.

I'm not really a fan of deckbuilders either, but so far I like L&C quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great info. Thanks so much to everyone! Yes I have played Mage Knight and the deck builder portion of the game didn't bother me. So if it is less than that it sounds great. I love resource management and racing games. The art in the game is amazing!

Any additional thoughts / feedback is still welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
neverscene wrote:

Any additional thoughts / feedback is still welcome.

I played it twice for the first time this week and thought it the best new game I have tried since Terra Mystica 13 months ago. Unexpected! I love it whe stuff like that happens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elocution Safari wrote:
A) It doesn't feel like a deck builder

B) At the beginning of a round all of your cards are available in your hand. You do not have to draw them from a draw pile. New cards are added to your hand from a market of 5 cards. Cards in the market are unique and usually become less expensive to acquire as they slide down the market. Every card has an activation cost. You can pay that cost with other cards or with worker placement.

C) -No text on cards, just icons. Each card is explained in the rule book.
- Some complication to learn what the card does. But it does not slow down the game too much. The game usually slows down from AP instead.
- That's true, an experienced player will recognize good combos and try to buy those cards first. But the game is much more about resource management.
- There is no adding or drawing mechanism

Lewis and Clark is not a deck builder. Its a resource management, worker placement, action selection, hand management game. You can get more actions in the game, but they do not go into a "deck."

This is spot on. This feels nothing like a deck builder. In my top 3 for best of 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HJ DJ
Netherlands
Steenwijk
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago I tried deck-builders (Dominion & Blue Moon). Didn't get the hang of it. Don't know if you call it deckbuilding in this game. But I like it very much. If you have a chance to play, try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.