Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to post this as it's the most helpful tutorial I've found on Youtube so far. (it is not my video so just posting the link instead of adding it as a video)

If you want a good overview of the game and how to get started, this is definitely worth a watch. It answered quite a few of my questions even after reading the rules multiple times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD8jQn6SV3A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link. It's the best feel for the game I've seen yet.

But I still can't quite figure out if it's "fun" yet. Mostly I'm just looking for an excuse beyond "It's PONY" to pull the trigger.

(not quite true... I'd also like to see how important that first "C" in this CCG turns out to be. I don't really want to spend money card-chasing after Magi-Nation Duel broke my heart.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacqland wrote:
Thanks for the link. It's the best feel for the game I've seen yet.

But I still can't quite figure out if it's "fun" yet. Mostly I'm just looking for an excuse beyond "It's PONY" to pull the trigger.

(not quite true... I'd also like to see how important that first "C" in this CCG turns out to be. I don't really want to spend money card-chasing after Magi-Nation Duel broke my heart.)

I've had one play so far, and it's pretty neat. I'm looking to get some more plays in soon.

As far as the Collectible part, I'm planning on just doing the one booster box and each theme deck. It gives you way more options, and I am just considering this as a one-time purchase thing. Sure, I might grab a single booster pack here and there, but I am not going to get competitive with this one so I figure just a little deck building will be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly got it for my daughter to introduce her to the CCG arena with something that won't raise any discomfort among parents of her friends (questions and odd looks, probably, but not discomfort). I got the dual deck starter and if it goes over well, we might pick up a couple more stand-alone decks. I don't see this turning into "Collectible" even if it really takes off. We're not really big into "buy sight unseen and hope for something good" when it comes to games.

So far the game isn't bad, but we had a lot of trouble figuring out the rules to get started. This video was the clearest I found to explain the gameplay with examples. It doesn't answer all of the questions, but does answer enough to begin playing. Just reading the rules I had a hard time even figuring out game end (missed it several times) or whether Action Tokens accumulate over turns (nothing in rules). An example within the rulebook would have been helpful for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are quite enjoying the game. We bought the 2player starter at first, then some boosters, then I ordered the theme decks (waiting for them from Coolstuff) and then snagged a Booster box off amazon with some christmas money.

No plans to be competitive, but the booster box definitely gives us a lot more room to deck-build against each other.

The game, from some of the beta videos, looks sort of like 2-player solitaire where you occasionally compare scores. But there is so much more than that going on, as you've got lots of interesting abilities that mix and match in fun ways, as you're required to play a dual-colored deck at the very least.

paschott wrote:
I mostly got it for my daughter to introduce her to the CCG arena with something that won't raise any discomfort among parents of her friends (questions and odd looks, probably, but not discomfort). I got the dual deck starter and if it goes over well, we might pick up a couple more stand-alone decks. I don't see this turning into "Collectible" even if it really takes off. We're not really big into "buy sight unseen and hope for something good" when it comes to games.

So far the game isn't bad, but we had a lot of trouble figuring out the rules to get started. This video was the clearest I found to explain the gameplay with examples. It doesn't answer all of the questions, but does answer enough to begin playing. Just reading the rules I had a hard time even figuring out game end (missed it several times) or whether Action Tokens accumulate over turns (nothing in rules). An example within the rulebook would have been helpful for new players.

What are you having trouble with?

Also, the fact that action tokens accumulate over turns is in the rules. Right in the description of Action Tokens, in almost that exact wording. "Unspent Action Tokens accumulate from one turn to the next."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
What are you having trouble with?

Also, the fact that action tokens accumulate over turns is in the rules. Right in the description of Action Tokens, in almost that exact wording. "Unspent Action Tokens accumulate from one turn to the next."

Totally missed that in the rules. I looked through them several times, but just didn't see it. Of course, I looked through the rules several times seeking the end-game condition before finding it, so could just be that I wasn't seeing them as expected. I was thinking the rules would be laid out a bit differently or something.

The video I linked above answered most of our questions - enough to get started. We haven't had a chance to return to the game since we took a break - right around the time we hit our first face-off. I realized I'd missed quite a bit - playing cards to the problems instead of home, carrying over action tokens, how to resolve problems from both sides (that was just a little fuzzy to me), and a more detailed what to do with face-offs.

We were slowly getting there, but it was a bit tough getting going. We're not a big CCG family, but my daughter really wanted to play some CCG games. This seemed like a good bet and I already know one of her friends will likely jump at the opportunity to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I just purchased both theme decks, and the 2 player dual deck pack so I think that's plenty for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Townsend
msg tools
Great tutorial. Actually the best I've found so far. Cleared up a lot of thestupid little questions I had after my first run through. Their rules are a bit vague. But iI dig the gameplay once you get the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally finished a playthrough. We had to double-check a couple of things after some face-off resolutions.

1. The flipped up card for resource/power points for the face-off goes back to the bottom of the deck.
2. The character cards used for the face-off go home.
2a. Events or Resources played for the face-off go to bottom of deck (I think).
3. Troublemaker/Villain cards are dismissed (gone from game) if this was a Troublemaker face-off and successfully overcome.
4. If _not_ your turn, you don't have to dismiss (remove from game) cards from Home if they exceed the Home limit - at least until the end of your own turn.

I think we had most of the rules right and my daughter trounced me. She had a couple of high value problem cards, beat my Wolf troublemaker easily, and I couldn't catch up after that. I think the final score was 15 to 9. She confronted my 9-point problem card successfully after playing a resource that reduced all of my cards' power by 1 so I couldn't confront it.

I'm glad we found this video because we'd be going back and forth over that rulebook forever trying to play. I did find a Wiki page for the game with some example gameplay as well. I wish they had the ability to easily throw in some sample rounds for the rulebook, though. That would have helped explain the game flow very clearly.

* Small Gripe - "Discard" vs "Dismiss". Wish there were better terms for "put on bottom of deck" and "remove from game" to avoid some confusion, even if minor confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither dismiss or discard mean out on the bottom. Dismiss means discard from play into your discard pile. Discard is used when the card isn't a permanent (friend or resource).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Neither dismiss or discard mean out on the bottom. Dismiss means discard from play into your discard pile. Discard is used when the card isn't a permanent (friend or resource).

*Grumble* Time for another look at the rules, then. Really wish they'd had someone else take a look at them for clarity and flow. I find myself flipping through that little book far too often trying to find where some minor point lives and it's never where I expect it when I do find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

*Grumble* Time for another look at the rules, then. Really wish they'd had someone else take a look at them for clarity and flow. I find myself flipping through that little book far too often trying to find where some minor point lives and it's never where I expect it when I do find it.

The problem is that the rules make sense to someone familiar with the game. I understood them on one straight read and a couple spot checks, but I've been playing card games since Magic 15 years ago. (Jesus, it's been that long? I feel so old. )

Trouble is the people writing rules for a ccg are going to be similar, as are their beta testers and QA people. It's definitely not as badly written as some FFG manuals though, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, definitely a problem. Rules should be written so anyone can understand, not just those who have been involved in CCGs for ages. Of course, I'm not a big CCG fan in the first place - the business model just doesn't sit right with me. To a newcomer, the rules don't flow well at all and the lack of even a semi-decent game play example doesn't help.

I really do look all over the place for the most minor of things. Oh, it's Face-Off time - now where are the rules about what to do in this face-off? Oh, they're _after_ the scoring section? Yeah, that makes sense. Now what do I do with the cards when I have too many at home? What about cards used for the face-off? Flip, flip, flip, flip.... *sigh*

It's true there are worse manuals, but this one is definitely up there in terms of not being friendly to new players. :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Townsend
msg tools
InkSplat wrote:
paschott wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

The problem is that the rules make sense to someone familiar with the game. I understood them on one straight read and a couple spot checks, but I've been playing card games since Magic 15 years ago. (Jesus, it's been that long? I feel so old. )

Trouble is the people writing rules for a ccg are going to be similar, as are their beta testers and QA people. It's definitely not as badly written as some FFG manuals though, heh.

As someone who used to play magic and has played her fair share of CCGs over the years, I do think the rulebook for this game is pretty poorly put together. The general gameplay portion is pretty good, but the nuance issues and clarity leave something to be desired. Maybe it's just because I've been playing nothing but Attack Wing lately but I felt like the rulebook wasn't great. soblue

Also I feel old now as well. Yay for that. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.